countseth

Anthony Rizzo 2017 Outlook

250 posts in this topic

Seems like a late first rounder to me. 

In auction drafts, depends on the setting, but seems like a generally high 30s guy to me. 

He's still young so there's still room for growth and he's in an excellent lineup. 

Anyone see cause for for concern or could we generally expect about the same as last year with maybe a couple slight improvements?

I don't think there's cause for concern, he's an exceptionally safe pick. Likely to contribute 100/30/100/.280 with an OPS around 900. Something like that.

That said, I think he's a little overrated. I see people rank him above people like Josh Donaldson/Miguel Cabrera and I just don't understand it. They'll do the same thing but with more power.

I get it though, Rizzo is safe, and he won't ruin you any leagues. And maybe he'll end up hitting more HR, he hit 32 last year despite only hitting 1 for a whole month.

2 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

I don't think there's cause for concern, he's an exceptionally safe pick. Likely to contribute 100/30/100/.280 with an OPS around 900. Something like that.

That said, I think he's a little overrated. I see people rank him above people like Josh Donaldson/Miguel Cabrera and I just don't understand it. They'll do the same thing but with more power.

I get it though, Rizzo is safe, and he won't ruin you any leagues. And maybe he'll end up hitting more HR, he hit 32 last year despite only hitting 1 for a whole month.

Yeah I don't think I'd put him in the top 5, but top 8-12 seems about right. And it is nice that his floor is so high. 

nothing to see here?  pretty quiet thread for mid/late first rounder hitting in the middle of a monster lineup and is just 27 this year.....

"Jack of all trades, master of none is oftentimes better than master of one."

1 person likes this

High floor dude with insane lineup protection and run producing capabilities. I like him more in real life than I do in fantasy though. He's certainly not a bad pick by any means, but I'd personally rather have Miggy or Votto for a slightly lower price.

He's the good kind of boring. Was stoked to get him in my 12 team dynasty league startup at 13th overall

I can't quite figure out why people are not more excited about this guy. I think he could provide a bit of value for a top 10 guy and that rarely happens. Usually you have to pay premium for that level of player. 

42 minutes ago, nittanychris said:

I can't quite figure out why people are not more excited about this guy. I think he could provide a bit of value for a top 10 guy and that rarely happens. Usually you have to pay premium for that level of player. 

Probably because he's only had one top 20 season to date. He finished 36th last season, 19th the season before, and 24th the year before that.

3 people like this

8 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

Probably because he's only had one top 20 season to date. He finished 36th last season, 19th the season before, and 24th the year before that.

Agreed. Miggy and Votto are both capable of matching and/or surpassing him in R, HR & RBI and they are both pretty much locks to beat him by 25-50 points in AVG. I do like Rizzo, I seriously do... but I think his price is just a bit too high compared to other 1B guys.

2 people like this

nice player to pair with trea/correa and limit some of that risk

1 person likes this

Miggy is great but there's age and injury risk. Votto lacks his pop and lineup.

Give me Rizzo all day.

Edited by nittanychris

I love Anthony Rizzo.  He's such a solid player and a class act on and off the field.  

1 person likes this

Not flashy but almost guaranteed .270-280 30-35 100-110.  Just plug and play and let him do his thing.

Remember the days when he came up with the Padres and hit .143.  After that and the cancer issue, to see him flourishing now is an incredible story.

If I had a son...

15 minutes ago, FUM said:

Not flashy but almost guaranteed .270-280 30-35 100-110.  Just plug and play and let him do his thing.

Remember the days when he came up with the Padres and hit .143.  After that and the cancer issue, to see him flourishing now is an incredible story.

If I had a son...

FOUND RIZZO'S FATHER

1 person likes this

Rizzo made his second appearance at 2B tonight. 8 more shifts away before he is 1B/2B eligible. Also has 1 OF appearance as well. If he had 1B/2B/OF eligibility that would be unreal.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, SwayzeExpress said:

Rizzo made his second appearance at 2B tonight. 8 more shifts away before he is 1B/2B eligible. Also has 1 OF appearance as well. If he had 1B/2B/OF eligibility that would be unreal.

I think he'd break the 2B rankings if he picked up eligibility there.

6 people like this

On 4/19/2017 at 6:38 PM, ktierne3 said:

The stolen bases are nice. One thing I didn't anticipate when I drafted him.

He's usually good for 10-15 depending on if the Cubs are running or not . I just hope to a higher power that he gains 2B eligibility 

Edited by BxBOMBERs28
3 people like this

56 minutes ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

He's usually good for 10-15 depending on if the Cubs are running or not . I just hope to a higher power that he gains 2B eligibility 

Game changer if gets 2b eligibility 

17 minutes ago, radioflyer9 said:

Any idea how games need to played at 2nd to gain position eligibility on Yahoo??

5 games started, or 10 games played.

10 games needed in Yahoo,  or 5 starts.

Serious question, how much does his value go up if he get 2B eligibility? Top 5 players? Top 3? Above Altuve?

2 hours ago, WouldntYouLikeToKnow said:

10 games needed in Yahoo,  or 5 starts.

Serious question, how much does his value go up if he get 2B eligibility? Top 5 players? Top 3? Above Altuve?

Top 2 IMO... him n altuve would be about same value in my eyes depends what you need more pop or speed 

Edited by BxBOMBERs28