Topgun

Jose Bautista 2017 Outlook

22 minutes ago, B&F said:

Too high. Considering age and recently history, way too much risk.

Yea, that's getting up there where I'd probably agree with you.  Although, 66'ish seems more in line than the ADP of 100 people were throwing around earlier.

Honestly, I look at the other bats around 66, and who's really jumping off the page as a much better and/or much safer pick than Bautista?  Billy Hamilton, AJ Pollock, Matt Carpenter, Dee Gordon, Todd Frazier, Hanley Ramirez.

You're kind of getting into the injury risk, or 1 cat stud range of guys there.

Edited by 89Topps

2 minutes ago, midlip said:

AJ Pollock around 66?? :wacko:  is this real life? 

I have never understood the Pollock hype myself. 29 years old and has had one good season. He will be picked way before I ever take him.

Just now, Dodgers said:

I have never understood the Pollock hype myself. 29 years old and has had one good season. He will be picked way before I ever take him.

Fair point, and i had no interest but his ADP's in the late 30's.... not 60's 

6 minutes ago, Dodgers said:

in 2015 he was the #5 player in OBP leagues, sandwiched between Mike Trout and Josh Donaldson.

In 2014 he was on a similar pace.

The risk is almost entirely injury based, not performance. An ADP of 66 is borderline criminal. He is about 50 spots behind Charlie Blackmon, and personally, I'm not sure their upside is much different at all. 

His body  does seem a bit flimsy though, I'll give you that. 

14 minutes ago, midlip said:

Fair point, and i had no interest but his ADP's in the late 30's.... not 60's 

Not on ESPN, it's not.  66, on the dot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

Not on ESPN, it's not.  66, on the dot.

ESPN rankings are trash for every sport.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 89Topps said:

ADP has climbed to 66.4 at ESPN.

Thanks to all of the "efforts" of threads like this...

15 minutes ago, Steelers0087 said:

What rankings do you like?

I don't like any from the major sites, but typically Yahoo's rankings aren't as ridiculous as ESPN's.

58 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

ESPN rankings are trash for every sport.

66 is his ADP on ESPN, not their ranking of him. That's where people are actually drafting him. 

And as far as actual rankings, the worse they are the better. If their "bad" rankings can influence any of my league mates then I'll happily extract some value. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

66 is his ADP on ESPN, not their ranking of him. That's where people are actually drafting him. 

And as far as actual rankings, the worse they are the better. If their "bad" rankings can influence any of my league mates then I'll happily extract some value. 

He's actually ranked 68th.  ADP's on ESPN tend to follow their rankings relatively closely, I think mainly because they have such a volume of free leagues.  Lot of people playing casually and just drafting based off the rankings, more or less.  I have no idea if other sites are similar.

13 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

He's actually ranked 68th.  ADP's on ESPN tend to follow their rankings relatively closely, I think mainly because they have such a volume of free leagues.  Lot of people playing casually and just drafting based off the rankings, more or less.  I have no idea if other sites are similar.

That's exactly why ADP data from the big providers are pretty meaningless.  Too many casual players drafting based on the default rankings.

Bautista's ADP in NFBC drafts is 114.  

http://hosted.stats.com/mlb/adp.asp?pos=all&page=3

18 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

He's actually ranked 68th

Are we talking AJ or Joey? Pollock is ranked 50 (for roto) and Jose is 65. ESPN just did their "rankings summit" and draft kit so they likely made a big jump. 

11 minutes ago, Chaco Chicken said:

Are we talking AJ or Joey? Pollock is ranked 50 (for roto) and Jose is 65. ESPN just did their "rankings summit" and draft kit so they likely made a big jump. 

Oh heck, what are we taking about here?  Totally lost track here.  JB is ranked 68.

Sorry.  I need to sit a couple plays out.

Edited by 89Topps

Back to Bautista... I dont think it's unreasonably to target him in the 6th ~mid 60's and definitely in the 7th and beyond 

16 minutes ago, midlip said:

Back to Bautista... I dont think it's unreasonably to target him in the 6th ~mid 60's and definitely in the 7th and beyond 

I agree. I wouldn't mind taking him in that range especially in an OBP league. I think he has a monster year compared to his draft price. I also think people are overestimating the effect E5 leaving is going to have on his numbers. 

Bautista, Kemp, Trumbo for me with Bautista for sure #1 and Kemp and Trumbo very close to one another. I play in an OBP league so my view is swayed by that.

I figure Bautista should hit more than 30 HR with upside for 40. He should have close to 100 RBIs and 90 runs scored but his OBP separate him from the other two for me.

Kemp should hit close to 30 with upside for 35 and I don't see why he can't drive in 100 in that lineup this year (I think the Braves lineup is very underrated) while scoring close to 80 runs. He's also got a career .340 OBP so he's slightly higher than Trumbo for me. I don't expect him to have a .340 OBP this year but something close to .330 isn't unreasonable. 

Trumbo should give you 30 HR with obvious upside for 40 after last season but he's only done that once. He's probably going to have similar RBI numbers to both the other guys and similar runs scored but his OBP is much lower. Over the last 3 seasons he sits just at .300. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, doctorm said:

Wow.. this guy sucks.  K'd 4 times?!  damn.

It's still early, but as an owner, I'm not very pleased.  I've seen most of his ABs and he looks lost at the plate, getting fooled often and swinging wildly at pitches outside the zone.  Hopefully he turns it around soon because my team could use it!

I don't think he had much of a spring training though.  If he is still sucking in May then I will start panicking.

He had a fast start to ST, than went on to WBC and returned with some minor lower-back injurie (or so they say, although idk with his age any injury can be considered minor).

Viewing first couple of weeks as his extended ST after missing a fair bit of time in march (cca 2 weeks) seams as objective stance for the time being.

Any Jays fans have any further insight on this guy?  With Donaldson on the shelf now with the calf issue, obviously the jays need him to produce even more now.  I've seen a handful of his ab's this year and to me just seems fooled almost every time.  I know it's early and being in Toronto, plus his track record, as long as he's healthy things should even out in the end I would assume.   But honestly I'm thinking of attempting to sell at the first signs of life.  Anyone else have any other input?