Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChicagoBob88

Zach Collins- C White Sox

Don't into if there's already a post about him but what does everyone think about him? I've read somewhere that he has one of the best bats from last years draft. 

10 hours ago, ChicagoBob88 said:

Don't into if there's already a post about him but what does everyone think about him? I've read somewhere that he has one of the best bats from last years draft. 

Schwarber lite with the bat but with a bit more chance to stick behind the plate

11 hours ago, ChicagoBob88 said:

I like Collins bat allot. He has good plate discipline too. Although it was a small sample he had a 46/33 K/BB...Although he does struggle with strikeouts but knows how to take walks so it evens it out. I know some people think he'll stick as a catcher but he's a below average pitch framer and has an average arm. I see him moving to 1B eventually. But his bat is legit. I expect him to move pretty quickly this year with a chance at getting a shot when roster's expand unless of course he struggles big time. I definitely do not believe he was the best college bat in last year's draft. I'd put Senzel and Lewis ahead of his hit tool. But Collins is definitely someone to keep an eye on and definitely someone to draft in dynasty leagues. A .275-.290 AVG hitter, with 20-30 HR's in his prime would be his ceiling in my opinion

He's certainly one of the more advanced bats out of the draft.  He OPSed .885 in Advanced A.  Senzel & Kyle Lewis didn't make it to Advanced A.  Corey Ray (Chicago native) made it to Advanced A but didn't hit nearly as well as Collins.  Matt Thaiss the next catcher taken (16th overall) only made it to A ball where he only OPSed .780, so there's certainly some sleeper upside to Collins especially in that hitter's park on the South Side. 

I own him on my dynasty and I'm hearing mixed reviews on the catching.  If he stays at catcher it might be a few years before he makes it to Chicago but a move to 1B/DH might get him there in 2017. 

Collins is a power hitter with plate discipline...those guys are rare. Hopefully he can continue to be that type of player.

I thought he was a great option in my points league because of all of the walks. He did K some but the extreme amount of BB should balance it out.

Many see him as a middle of the lineup hitter.  Don't think we see him this year, but on rebuilding teams you never know. 

Sounds like a Carlos Santana type. Power+plate discipline.. probably can't stay at catcher long-term though. That's fantasy gold for as long as he's catching (and super underrated once he moves to 1B)

23 minutes ago, PPolanco said:

Sounds like a Carlos Santana type. Power+plate discipline.. probably can't stay at catcher long-term though. That's fantasy gold for as long as he's catching (and super underrated once he moves to 1B)

Well Santana stayed at catcher for like 4 years or so.

On 1/21/2017 at 0:58 PM, Coach George said:

Collins is a power hitter with plate discipline...those guys are rare. Hopefully he can continue to be that type of player.

I thought he was a great option in my points league because of all of the walks. He did K some but the extreme amount of BB should balance it out.

And in OBP leagues he's golden too. Could really become an elite catcher with 25+HRs and a solid .350+ OBP.

On 12/27/2016 at 9:03 PM, Asheville Sox Fan said:

I own him on my dynasty and I'm hearing mixed reviews on the catching.  If he stays at catcher it might be a few years before he makes it to Chicago but a move to 1B/DH might get him there in 2017. 

That's a good point. I guess him becoming a long-term catcher would be worth waiting another year for. But if they don't decide to play him there then he's up sooner, I guess possibly sharing 1B/DH with Abreu.

I think they'll try the catcher route if possible though, that's why they drafted him so early. And that would be the best position for fantasy as it's clearly the shallowest position around, although 1B is probably one of the next weakest these days which seems crazy.

Collins isn't in ESPNs player universe just yet. Odd because Kyle Lewis is.

Will have to keep a lookout for when he's added