Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VelvetMerkin

***2016-2017 NBA Trade Deadline Discussion Thread***

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, tongs said:

Yeah, it's very possible. It's also something to note that CP wants to win.. and he probably knows that he can't do it with the Clippers. 

Speaking of the clippers, if they decide to break their core, Toronto would LOVE to have Deandre. But that's just me fantasizing about basketball.

It'd be quite something to see. They'd have to trade away BG in a contract year to break the core though. The other team would have to know BG wants to stay at his new destination.

 

The Raps can throw everything at LAC for DeAndre. J Val, PatPat, T Ross and then become a champ team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rob0403 said:

The Raps can throw everything at LAC for DeAndre. J Val, PatPat, T Ross and then become a champ team.

 

Boogie or DeAndre would be an absolute coup for the Raptors... would surely give Cleveland a real run for their money in the ECF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, smeeze said:

 

Boogie or DeAndre would be an absolute coup for the Raptors... would surely give Cleveland a real run for their money in the ECF.

I, along with many other homers, are pretty iffy about Cousins as a person in general. Great talent, but I don't see Derozan, Lowry, or Casey getting through his head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tongs said:

I, along with many other homers, are pretty iffy about Cousins as a person in general. Great talent, but I don't see Derozan, Lowry, or Casey getting through his head.

 

I agree. He also strikes me as a guy who hates Canada. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess Kyle Korver is the first domino to fall. Atlanta will probably look up deal Milsap now too. Once he's dealt we might see guys like Gay and Knight being moved too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

I guess Kyle Korver is the first domino to fall. Atlanta will probably look up deal Milsap now too. Once he's dealt we might see guys like Gay and Knight being moved too

Word on the street atl keepin sap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rob0403 said:

If the raps somehow get him... GG

Cavs+Korver, Raps+Sap? Let's say JV needs to be at the top of his game for this matchup to be very entertaining

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Raps get Sap, look out.

 

That starting five of Lowry, Derozan, Millsap, JVal and Carroll would give Cleveland a legit run for their money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if Raptors get Milsap, the Raptors are still a class below Cavs. Lowry, Milsap, and Derozan are all second tier stars who can't take over a playoff series the way superstars like Lebron, in-prime Dunca, or Shaq could. The moment Cavs shift Lebron to PF, Raptors simply won't be able to keep up with the Cavs:

 

Kyrie - Lowry: Lowry will have to be at his absolutely best to play Kyrie to a draw

Smith - Derozan: advantage Raptors, but Derozan's game has never and just doesn't translate well during playoffs

Korver - Carroll: just 3&D but I think Korver's shooting will be more impactful than Carroll's defense 

Lebron - Milsap: not even fair, Lebron neuters Milsap's unique impact as a 4

Love - Valanciuas: none of the Raptors big men can guard Love and they can't score either

 

I think adding Milsap will simply change the question from "will the Cavs win in 5 or 6 games?" to "will the Cavs win in 6 or 7 games?". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Apollo_87 said:

If Raps get Sap, look out.

 

That starting five of Lowry, Derozan, Millsap, JVal and Carroll would give Cleveland a legit run for their money.

ROFL!! suuuure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

Even if Raptors get Milsap, the Raptors are still a class below Cavs. Lowry, Milsap, and Derozan are all second tier stars who can't take over a playoff series the way superstars like Lebron, in-prime Dunca, or Shaq could. The moment Cavs shift Lebron to PF, Raptors simply won't be able to keep up with the Cavs:

 

Kyrie - Lowry: Lowry will have to be at his absolutely best to play Kyrie to a draw

Smith - Derozan: advantage Raptors, but Derozan's game has never and just doesn't translate well during playoffs

Korver - Carroll: just 3&D but I think Korver's shooting will be more impactful than Carroll's defense 

Lebron - Milsap: not even fair, Lebron neuters Milsap's unique impact as a 4

Love - Valanciuas: none of the Raptors big men can guard Love and they can't score either

 

I think adding Milsap will simply change the question from "will the Cavs win in 5 or 6 games?" to "will the Cavs win in 6 or 7 games?". 

Wont the matchup be:

 

Kyrie - Lowry

Smith - Derozan

Korver - Ross

Lebron - Carroll

Love - Millsap

 

??? Assuming they dont ship off Ross to get Millsap. They can also put Poetl/Siakam in 5, Millsap in 4.

 

Their starting lineups matchup fairly IMO. The matchup will definitely be more competitive, but Raps will be giving up depth to get Millsap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ellejamil said:

Wont the matchup be:

 

Kyrie - Lowry

Smith - Derozan

Korver - Ross

Lebron - Carroll

Love - Millsap

 

??? Assuming they dont ship off Ross to get Millsap. They can also put Poetl/Siakam in 5, Millsap in 4.

 

Their starting lineups matchup fairly IMO. The matchup will definitely be more competitive, but Raps will be giving up depth to get Millsap.

 

Yes, that's actually exactly the lineup Dwane Casey will run, which will give them even less of a chance to beat the Cavs, because Ty Lue can simply switch Love off Milsap and put him on Carroll. Just because you play Milsap at center doesn't mean Cavs have to play their center on him. This is another reason why Raptors have no chance - Casey is terrible. Their offense is something you see from 1990's. Everybody just stand and watch Derozan and Lowry dribble dribble and dribble. I don't think they will even be able to maximize Milsap's talent outside of running some pick & pop with him. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ellejamil said:

Wont the matchup be:

 

Kyrie - Lowry

Smith - Derozan

Korver - Ross

Lebron - Carroll

Love - Millsap

 

??? Assuming they dont ship off Ross to get Millsap. They can also put Poetl/Siakam in 5, Millsap in 4.

 

Their starting lineups matchup fairly IMO. The matchup will definitely be more competitive, but Raps will be giving up depth to get Millsap.

too bad the game isnt played on paper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad someone broke the ice with a trade. Now let's see Noel traded!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys have no idea how much my lineup's playoff success hinges on a couple of key trades haha.

 

I just traded ryno for Noel, and i am nervous as heck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ellejamil said:

You guys have no idea how much my lineup's playoff success hinges on a couple of key trades haha.

 

I just traded ryno for Noel, and i am nervous as heck

 

Same haha. I've got monroe, who is starting to get in the good graces again, but I prefer if he was moved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

This is another reason why Raptors have no chance - Casey is terrible. Their offense is something you see from 1990's. Everybody just stand and watch Derozan and Lowry dribble dribble and dribble. I don't think they will even be able to maximize Milsap's talent outside of running some pick & pop with him. 

 

 

 

The 2016-17 Raptors currently have the 2nd highest offensive rating in NBA history...  yes they went iso heavy in the playoffs last year when everything fell apart and I imagine that's the last (and possibly only) time you've actually seen them play.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, summersoff7 said:

ROFL!! suuuure

Without Sap, it was 4-2 Cavs. Pretty sure the Raps would do better with Sap in the picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, smeeze said:

 

The 2016-17 Raptors currently have the 2nd highest offensive rating in NBA history...  yes they went iso heavy in the playoffs last year when everything fell apart and I imagine that's the last (and possibly only) time you've actually seen them play.  

 

It's true I haven't watched them play much recently (I don't, because they play ugly basketball...), and you probably didn't learn critical thinking in school (well, school doesn't teach you that so it's not your fault).

 

Clickbait headlines grab attention easily, but then they just make you stupid. Numbers only tell you a story, and never the complete truth. Let me help you break down why this "second highest offensive rating in NBA history" honor doesn't really matter at all...

 

#1 Do the Raptors really have the 2nd highest offensive rating in NBA history?

Yes, sure, I think for a brief time this season they even had the highest offensive rating in NBA history. 

 

#2 What does that mean?

It means they will score the second most points in 100 possessions

 

#3 Does that mean they have the second best offense in NBA history?

Not all at, because that number disregards strength of defense, rules, and schedule. It doesn't account for the fact that modern NBA players are better shooters and modern NBA teams are more efficient offensively in general. For example, Washington Wizards, OKC Thunder, and Indiana Pacers have better offense rating than the 1999-00 LA Lakers (yes, that Lakers who went 67-15 with Kobe and Shaq). A similar comparison is the crazy rebounding numbers NBA players used to put up in the 60's and 70's.  Was Dave Cowens really a better rebounder than Andre Drummond? Only a moron would say yes.

 

#4 So what does it mean for the Raptors to have the 2nd highest offensive rating in NBA history

It means they are going to put up a lot of points in the regular season and then slow down in the playoffs when defense has time to scout and prepare before each game. The reason why Raptors always go iso heavy in playoffs is because their offense is so simple and predictable that defense can take away their primary option that generates open shots. Derozan and Lowry then just have to resort to iso ball because they don't really have anything else. 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

 

It's true I haven't watched them play much recently (I don't, because they play ugly basketball...), and you probably didn't learn critical thinking in school (well, school doesn't teach you that so it's not your fault).

 

Gets called on his bs, starts slinging poop.

 

Saying the Raptors have been playing ugly basketball this season is both subjectively and quantitatively untrue...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, smeeze said:

 

Gets called on his bs, starts slinging poop.

 

Saying the Raptors have been playing ugly basketball is both subjectively and quantitatively untrue...

 

You can't quantify ugliness..... beauty is only a subjective matter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

 

You can't quantify ugliness..... beauty is only a subjective matter

 

I think you're both beautiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Apollo_87 said:

Without Sap, it was 4-2 Cavs. Pretty sure the Raps would do better with Sap in the picture.

The Cavs didnt even try that series and shattered 3 point records (or was that against the Hawks?).  Either way, there isn't a snowball chance in hell they can compete with the Cavs if we go into Beast mode (see against the Warriors).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites