Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VelvetMerkin

***2016-2017 NBA Trade Deadline Discussion Thread***

3 hours ago, Chrizz said:

Even if Lin is healthy? 

Lin? Haven't heard that name in years...

37 minutes ago, FroButtons said:

http://www.nba.com/hornets/press-releases/hornets-acquire-chris-andersen-and-cash-c-onsiderations-cavaliers

EDIT: I'm assuming the money Cavs gave covered the cost of waiving Birdman and then some. My new questions is, why didn't the Cavs waive him themselves? The shot at the pick is virtually non-existent (top-55 protected, Charlotte would have to finish with a top 5 record overall in the NBA). Is the chance at the pick worth it to give up some cash and get a roster space? Or is there other financial considerations that would cost the Cavs more to waive him themselves?

Charlotte probably did it so they can meet the minimum salary floor and make some cash doing it. If an NBA team is below the salary floor, they still have to distribute that difference to the players on the team. Let's say if the salary floor is $50 million and you are only paying $40 million, then you will have to give $10 million to the current players on your team. 

For the Cavs, it makes sense for them to give Hornets cash so Hornets can waive Anderson for them. Cavs are a luxury tax team, so Cavs have to pay luxurytax on top of the salary Anderson makes. Anderson makes $1.5 million this year, so for Cavs who is a repeat tax payer they probably have to pay another $5-6 million in luxury tax for having him. If they Cavs waive Anderson themselves, they still have to pay him the salary + the luxury tax, let's say for a total of $7.5 million. 

Instead of doing that, they trade Anderson + (for example) $3 million to the Hornets. Hornets then pay off Anderson's contract with that cash. Hornets make about $2.125 million ($3 million - prorated $1.5 million/year) for doing the transaction. Cavs save about $4.5 million (saving of $7.5 luxury tax - the cost of $3 million)

It's a win-win trade in terms of finance. Hornets make a cool couple million dollars for the trouble. Cavs save several millions in luxury tax and open up a roster spot for a potential mid-season veteran free agent like Deron Williams, Rajon Rondo, etc. 

Problem is Rondo has previously tanked Dallas IN a playoff series. It's a pretty huge risk to take. IF it took Pierce, Garnet, and Ray Allen to keep him in line back then, I am not sure even Lebron can keep him in check.

9 hours ago, akund said:

None of those guys are talented enough to be worth owning in standard leagues even with larger roles.

7 hours ago, MONEY BALL said:

Richaun Holmes is a baller. He's so underrated it isn't even funny.

Exactly. I did note in my post that the players I stated were for deep leagues. I only play 14 and 16 team leagues so yes, those players could be worth owning if the chips fall in the right way. 

The Ibaka trade is just the first chip to fall this deadline season. I fully expect Jah and some Nuggets players (Chandler, Gallo or Faried) to be traded as well. Brook Lopez is also within the realm of possibility.

I heard somewhere that the deal for Brook will involve Frazier, Evans and a pick. One way or another, the Pels will make a move very soon whether it be for Jah or Brook. 

Pelicans, Celtics, Bulls, Clippers, Lakers, Nets, Bucks, Suns: all teams I am anticipating will make a move.

From a fantasy standpoint, keeping my eye on anyone who makes it onto the bucks, wizards, nets, and clippers. Wish there was more traction in that Gallo to clippers trade as he'd make a fine buy low right now for that LAC PO schedule.

11 minutes ago, mcflywalker said:

Pelicans, Celtics, Bulls, Clippers, Lakers, Nets, Bucks, Suns: all teams I am anticipating will make a move.

From a fantasy standpoint, keeping my eye on anyone who makes it onto the bucks, wizards, nets, and clippers. Wish there was more traction in that Gallo to clippers trade as he'd make a fine buy low right now for that LAC PO schedule.

Bucks more or less are set, with Beasley and Maker as the potential WW additions that can do damage ROS. Any Wizard outside of the starting 5 has been horrible so far, I've been rooting for Oubre to be more consistent but still no cigar. The Nets are the biggest wildcard here with regards to deadline additions. They definitely are my team to watch (Levert's resting tendencies shuts him out for PO-based consideration in my book). 

For the Clips, just stream them after the first week. I've got my eyes on Mo Speights for the semis 5 game sched. 

Jahlil Okafor joined up with the 76ers in Boston in advance of Wednesday's game vs. the Celtics.

This doesn't mean he will play by any means, as the 76ers don't want to risk an injury while they continue to shop him. For what it's worth, coach Brett Brown said the team will welcome him back with open arms if they don't find a new home for him. He belongs on the wire unless you have the roster spot to stash him with the Feb. 23 deadline looming.

Sooo I guess trade talks fell off again huh

1 minute ago, SicarioSanity said:

Bucks more or less are set, with Beasley and Maker as the potential WW additions that can do damage ROS. Any Wizard outside of the starting 5 has been horrible so far, I've been rooting for Oubre to be more consistent but still no cigar. The Nets are the biggest wildcard here with regards to deadline additions. They definitely are my team to watch (Levert's resting tendencies shuts him out for PO-based consideration in my book). 

For the Clips, just stream them after the first week. I've got my eyes on Mo Speights for the semis 5 game sched. 

The bucks have value in Monroe, and if development is their game, I think shipping him away makes sense since Kidd hasn't fully warmed-up to him since their early season fallout.

There were talks about Barton going to the WAS, if only to bolster their bench. They could essentially be a sleeper for bench moves.

i agree with your sentiment regarding the nets. They are garbage, and those rest days will be given out in abundance. If they can snag Frazier from NOP, we'd have ww gold.

14 minutes ago, mcflywalker said:

The bucks have value in Monroe, and if development is their game, I think shipping him away makes sense since Kidd hasn't fully warmed-up to him since their early season fallout.

There were talks about Barton going to the WAS, if only to bolster their bench. They could essentially be a sleeper for bench moves.

i agree with your sentiment regarding the nets. They are garbage, and those rest days will be given out in abundance. If they can snag Frazier from NOP, we'd have ww gold.

Im waiting for this nets trade to materialize so I can snag Frazier. Trying to compensate for my James Johnson and Will Barton drops :/

Just now, ellejamil said:

Im waiting for this nets trade to materialize so I can snag Frazier. Trying to compensate for my James Johnson and Will Barton drops :/

Same, man! Frazier would be awesome, though Lin is expected to play the first game after the break. I'm sure they can coexist.

So they have Whitehead, Dinwiddle, Harris, Lin, Foye, Kilpatrick and LeVert plays SG too. I count Bogda and RHJ as SF-types, not including them on the list. Assuming they are making the trade that has been rumoured they would be adding Galloway and to some extent Evans to the backcourt mix besides Frazier. Can someone explain me the situation where Frazier would be ww gold. There needs to be a lot of shutdowns, rest days, trades and DNP-CD's to have Frazier take over with 30 minutes per game or even 25. But I'm open for the pitch promoting him over everybody else. Fire away.

1 hour ago, JormaJormala said:

So they have Whitehead, Dinwiddle, Harris, Lin, Foye, Kilpatrick and LeVert plays SG too. I count Bogda and RHJ as SF-types, not including them on the list. Assuming they are making the trade that has been rumoured they would be adding Galloway and to some extent Evans to the backcourt mix besides Frazier. Can someone explain me the situation where Frazier would be ww gold. There needs to be a lot of shutdowns, rest days, trades and DNP-CD's to have Frazier take over with 30 minutes per game or even 25. But I'm open for the pitch promoting him over everybody else. Fire away.

Good question.  Not sure, but I would imagine Whitehead, Dinwiddie and Foye aren't in the future plans.  At least they wouldn't be if I was running the team. Lol But this management is nuts so who really knows.  Again, great question.

18 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Good question.  Not sure, but I would imagine Whitehead, Dinwiddie and Foye aren't in the future plans.  At least they wouldn't be if I was running the team. Lol But this management is nuts so who really knows.  Again, great question.

Have to disagree on Whitehead. I think he is the best prospect they have on the PG position. Can def become a starter once he works on his shot.

6 hours ago, ellejamil said:

I don't see this trade happening. So far there has been 5 trades and the only on we could guess correctly is the Ibaka trade and even that trade we didn't know what was goingdown. Usually if there is a trade is going down for sure, we don't hear anything about it. Obviously if this does go down. I would pick up Frazier too. But I don't like him going to the Nets. They have a lot of guards and Lin is set to return.  They just paid him, I know the Nets werected being extremely cautious with him, but they had nothing to lose by doing that. 

5 hours ago, JormaJormala said:

Let's be honest with ourselves, the Nets are not a team focused on development haha. None of those guys really had a moment to shine when Lin was around, and it took multiple injuries for LeVert to get the limelight, which consequently fizzled out. Though the nets are my local team, I can't stand to watch each and every one of their games, but I've seen enough to know that those guys will fade to the background if the rumored NOP guys arrive.

I don't know who they would cut if that's even possible, but bog is on the trade block, and I sincerely doubt a team would want him alone. I wouldn't put it past them to send a young guy like McCullough along with bog, as a testament of their sad excuse of a rebuild.

Kilpatrick isn't young, and he's built (some) value. They could pair him away or get a low level pick in return. There's the argument that he's done well enough to earn playing time in BK, but remember when Lin returned the first (second? I'm losing count) time? Kilpatrick got thrown onto the bench and took a sizeable hit. He still provided peripheral stats but his 'holding down the fort' meant very little to the coaching staff. And that's exactly what would happen if new, more proven guys arrived. This isn't an organization that thinks rationally so anything can happen. Hell, the fact they're considering this trade, given the robust guard situation you mentioned, should tell you enough.

tl:dr

dinwiddie, Harris, foye, kilpatrick will fade in the rotation if they survive the deadline.

Levert will continue to be babied, along with Lin. New faces on a team lacking a glimmer of hope would be more than welcome.

What it comes down to is this: if the trade went down and he stayed on the roster, do you really want to let a guy with gaudy upside, and a newfound 4-4-4 PO schedule, fall to your competitors? We clear multiple roster space to this point so we can make final splashes; it wouldn't hurt.

1 minute ago, swaggyp said:

reggie jackson on the block

Yeah, I feel like he'll definitely move. If they don't bring back a pg, ish smith is an instant grab.

So I can't seem to find a thread that discusses this but basically I have a trade question to see if I am making the right move. The league I play in is a points and rebounds league so that is how you rack up points (specifically 3pt shots made (7fantasy points) and OREB (4 fantasy points). My question is is it a good trade if I move SG/SF DeMar DeRozan (72.2 point avg) and SG Eric Gordon (51.2 avg) for SG/SF Jimmy Butler (78.9 avg) and PF/C Gorgui Dieng (46.6 avg)? 4 weeks until fantasy playoffs, and I want to make sure I'm making a good move! Any help works I just want opinion!

12 minutes ago, Austin said:

So I can't seem to find a thread that discusses this but basically I have a trade question to see if I am making the right move. The league I play in is a points and rebounds league so that is how you rack up points (specifically 3pt shots made (7fantasy points) and OREB (4 fantasy points). My question is is it a good trade if I move SG/SF DeMar DeRozan (72.2 point avg) and SG Eric Gordon (51.2 avg) for SG/SF Jimmy Butler (78.9 avg) and PF/C Gorgui Dieng (46.6 avg)? 4 weeks until fantasy playoffs, and I want to make sure I'm making a good move! Any help works I just want opinion!

You're looking for the Assistant Coach Forum:

http://forums.rotoworld.com/forum/20-assistant-coach-help-forum/

I guess this is not the forum for those questions but it seems even trade for both parties. DeRozan and Gordon are very settled with their value though. Butler, if moved, would take somekind of a negative hit. Obviously the positions matter too, do you need help at the PF/C position? And how does the waiver wire depth look for those positions? In my league you can more easily get help at SG-position than big man department so the bigs have more value.