ST. STEVEN

Walker Buehler SP-LAD

Surprised to see no thread on him, but I guess he has been off the radar after having TJ surgery after being drafted 24th overall in 2015 draft. He came back late last summer after a year off and reports were rather awesome (extreme SSS alert, but still). Sitting 95-97 mph while touching 99. Was listed by Fangraphs as LAD #5 prospect. Here is some intriguing little excerpts from the article by Longenhagen:

"Even if the fastball backs up a bit, it will still be plus, and the rest of the repertoire is equally as dynamic. Buehler throws a cutter/slider in the 91-93 range that also projects to plus, as well as a plus curveball in the upper 70s that has bite, depth and tremendous bat-missing potential."

"I haven’t seen Buehler throw a changeup in any of my looks at him in pro ball, but he threw one at Vanderbilt and he has the arm speed to develop a good change in time. He doesn’t neccesarily need one, though. If his command of the cutter and curveball become good enough at peak, he’ll be able to deal with left-handed hitters without heavy use of the changeup."

"If the stuff scouts saw late last season holds firm into 2017, then there’s a chance Buehler could rocket through the minor leagues and pitch in the majors next year. Some scouts are concerned about how Buehler’s body, which is a bit undersized, will hold up to a professional workload, especially given the effort in the delivery and the injury track record. His upside is significant, one of a potential No. 2 or 3 starter if everything comes together."

• Like 3

I'm pretty interested in him. Probably available in a decent amount of leagues. Great tout.  His stock has certainly been rising lately.

Catching up on Klaw chat from yesterday and noticed this:

Zach: How high do you think walker buehler’s ceiling is?
Klaw: If he can really hold this stuff over a full season, I don’t see why he’s not a number one starter. But we have no evidence he can do that yet.

• Like 3

Pitching is so deep in the minors Stewart is often forgotten about, but for sure his upside looks immense. 

1 hour ago, PPolanco said:

Pitching is so deep in the minors Stewart is often forgotten about, but for sure his upside looks immense. 

Stewart?

7 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Im assuming BROCK PAPER STEWART

That was my first thought, but then I was like "What does that have to do with Buehler?"

Anyhow, I love both Buehler and Stewart.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PPolanco said:

Gah definitely meant Buehler

#40 on the Klaw ranks...that'll certainly be the high mark (most likely) but Klaw isn't afraid to be out in front on these matters

3 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

#40 on the Klaw ranks...that'll certainly be the high mark (most likely) but Klaw isn't afraid to be out in front on these matters

Honestly I think that's not far off as far as his stuff, it's just injuries that worry me

His stuff is lethal and I see him being a heavy GB/Strikeout pitcher. And on top of that, he's showing good control too. Reminds me alot of Corey Kluber, and I can see him absolutely skyrocketing through the minors. Ace potential written all over him. 

Another stellar start for Buehler last night.  He struck out 8 batters in a row, and hit 99 MPH.

3IP

2H

0ER

0BB

Edited by Tayne
  • Like 3

You've got to think that Buehler is going to be a fast riser. He's got a ton of potential.  The only knocks on him are health and thin frame.

I paid a lot to buy Buehler in my dynasty league, but I'm really happy about it right now. He's going to be a fun one to follow.

• Like 2

Cant wait to see what this kid can do in AA, hes a man among boys right now. 

7 minutes ago, JohnR said:

who do we like better?  Buehler or White?

Yes

• Like 2

I gave in and picked him up. I'm currently stashing like, 100 minor leaguers.

On 4/18/2017 at 11:32 PM, Travis Burten said:

He looks like a top 10 pitching prospect right now.

Dodgers have treated him with kid gloves since TJ surgery. What we need to watch is if he can hold his velocity and stuff as he extends deeper into games. He's only going around 50 pitches right now. Is he still tossing 96-97mph at 75 pitches? 95 pitches? those are the questions he needs to answer as they ramp his workload up through the year.

Edited by battle2heaven