ST. STEVEN

Walker Buehler SP-LAD

5 hours ago, jhonny74 said:

4-5 others? Just curious, who else do you have above him?

Kopech has control problems, Keller, Groome, and Espinoza have some health questions, and Puk and Quantril aren't as advanced at this point. Honeywell maybe or some of the recent draftees? I wouldn't say Buehler is the top pitching prospect out there, but I'm not sure there is a clear cut top one out there right now. 

McKenzie, Soroka, Allard to name a few.

4 hours ago, 12to6 said:

McKenzie, Soroka, Allard to name a few.

I'm curious what you think of Soroka's upside. Personally, what I've read leads me to believe he's more of a high-floor, sure thing #3 in the majors. His performance at AA has been phenomenal, given his age though. Buehler and McKenzie seem to have lower floors, but potential ace upside, which would tempt me to rank them higher.

Edited by Solar

52 minutes ago, Solar said:

I'm curious what you think of Soroka's upside. Personally, what I've read leads me to believe he's more of a high-floor, sure thing #3 in the majors. His performance at AA has been phenomenal, given his age though. Buehler and McKenzie seem to have lower floors, but potential ace upside, which would tempt me to rank them higher.

I really think Soroka has a chance to be the most consistent of the three. He's been so good at AA, without any serious bumps of late. A 2/3 is about right for him, whereas I can see McKenzie being a phenomenal 1 or an iffy 4. But let's not short-sell McKenzie. He's only 19 and at High A he's been absolutely phenomenal, save for one disaster outing.

Beuhler, to me, is a bit of a mystery. Ace potential, but just such a short track record in the minors.

Best pitching prospect in baseball? 32K% and 6BB% in AA with tonnes of ground ball outs and an absolutely lethal arsenal  

Edited by Travis Burten
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Travis Burten said:

Best pitching prospect in baseball? 32K% and 6BB% in AA with tonnes of ground ball outs and an absolutely lethal arsenal  

Really could be. And it doesn't hurt he's a dodger and in the NL.

I've heard some say he may be up in September to pitch in the bullpen and others have said he won't be up until next year. 

Obviously it's all a guessing game. He has about 57 innings pitched so far this season. If they do indeed have him on a 100ish innings limit it doesn't seem like he will make it to September. 

Getting some good recognition on these mid-season prospect lists. All touting him as a future ace and arguably the best pitching prospect in baseball right now. 

• Like 1

Relief role considered.

I assume just for the rest of this season?

Next season maybe half RP half SP in order to limit his innings. Or will they turn him into a true reliever?

With his arsenal I don't see very much reliever risk after this and possibly some of next year. It can never be ruled out but the Dodgers are too smart to not allow him to start.

Yeah he's too good to be a reliever long-term unless he has more injury problems.

If the Dodgers weren't a serious contender, I assume they'd just leave Buehler in the minors as a starter until he hit whatever his inning limit is. But he's good enough to potentially be an impact reliever for them in the postseason.

At this point are you taking him over closer projects like Giolito and Glasnow?

Edited by Dark Kn19ht

16 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Definitely over Giolito. I love Glasnow and I have him too so it's hard for me to say. Not the most independent evaluator here :)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

I'd take him over both. Glasnow has serious control issues. If he ever fixed those, then he'd be something. He's in a great park too. But he seems a ways off.  Giolito has never been right since the Nats tinkered with his delivery. I also don't love him pitching in Chicago

20 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

I'm taking him over everybody in the minors. 

On 7/17/2017 at 0:13 PM, Travis Burten said:

I'm taking him over everybody in the minors. 

whoa. any chance he sneaks in to the 5th starter spot or is it reliever for him this year?

I would say no chance on being a starter this season - his route to 2017 MLB playing time lies in the bullpen (with being a starter the long term plan for sure).

3 hours ago, hgh22 said:

whoa. any chance he sneaks in to the 5th starter spot or is it reliever for him this year?

He won't start this year. The Dodgers have had him on a strict pitch count limit since this is his first full season of pro ball after having TJ. Furthest he's gone in a minor league game is 5 1/3 IP.

My guess is he comes up in September, starts in long relief and if he does well, they'll consider using him in high-leverage spots in the playoffs.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

He won't start this year. The Dodgers have had him on a strict pitch count limit since this is his first full season of pro ball after having TJ. Furthest he's gone in a minor league game is 5 1/3 IP.

My guess is he comes up in September, starts in long relief and if he does well, they'll consider using him in high-leverage spots in the playoffs.

Then takes home ROY honors in 2018.

22 minutes ago, Winning said:

Then takes home ROY honors in 2018.

That's Devers, Moncada, Gleyber, etc. not a stinkin pitcher.... 

11 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

That's Devers, Moncada, Gleyber, etc. not a stinkin pitcher.... 

Well they are all in the AL, soooooooo.

• Like 1