ST. STEVEN

Walker Buehler SP-LAD

4 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Didn't LA add a couple RP as well as Darvish? I know they got Cingrani. TO me it's looking like less of a chance for him to be called up at all.

Yes

i don't think they want to rush him. He's more of a play for next season and beyond. Getting anything from him in redraft is too optimistic.

Edited by Wild Thing

https://twitter.com/truebluela/status/894046056173903872

Edit: I guess the tweet doesn't automatically embed when you post the URL. (Could someone tell me how to embed a tweet?)

It says Buehler pitched 2 innings of relief - could be first steps of transition to bullpen. Would that transition be just for the remainder of 2017?

Edited by amcsoldier

3 hours ago, amcsoldier said:

It says Buehler pitched 2 innings of relief - could be first steps of transition to bullpen. Would that transition be just for the remainder of 2017?

It said he was scheduled to pitch 2 innings. He actually only went 1 1/3 and got hit pretty hard. No real cause for concern though.

I am pretty sure the bullpen thing would just be for 2017. It makes sense on a couple different levels for the Dodgers - continuing to limit Buehler's innings coming off of TJ, giving him some major league exposure, and if all goes well possibly adding a weapon to their bullpen for the playoffs. But he's too good a prospect not to be a long-term SP.

• Like 3

^ I was just coming to post this.

This is from an article I just read. After the trade deadline I thought his chance of a callup was losing steam because they added a couple of relievers.  Now I think we will see Buehler pitching out of the bullpen in the next few weeks. 

Buehler has been up and down since his call up to Oklahoma City, but his 6.35 ERA is largely inflated due to two pedestrian appearances. I think it’s important to view Buehler’s splits in Triple-A since his promotion.

Buehler is holding opposing left-handers to a .158 batting average and limited them to one lone home run in just over five innings accumulated at the Triple-A level. Through all three levels, he’s pitch at this season, Buehler is holding left-handers to a cumulated .173 batting average and limiting them to 21 hits.

With those splits, Buehler could be an asset to the Dodgers’ bullpen because of his ability to get both lefties and righties out. The question always arises if young pitchers should be trusted in high leverage situations at big time moments. But I find that bringing up a young, fresh arm that other MLB hitters aren’t familiar with is effective when it comes to getting one big out in a big game.

As another one of our contributors, Hector Ponce pointed out before, Buehler has that “bulldog” mentality that separates him from other 23 years old. I’m not concerned about his stuff translating to the majors because it’s only a matter of time before he and Urias take over atop the Dodgers’ rotation. But until that time, it’s a great idea to get him some exposure to the league and the postseason during a time when he won’t carry the entire pressure on his right arm.

Full article:

His stuff out of the bullpen will be unfair. We could see Joba type numbers from him. But for the LOVE OF GOD ANY MY DYNASTY TEAM, PLEASE PLEASE DONT GET HURT!!!!!!

1 hour ago, SiCespedes52 said:

Now I'll spend my days scanning the ESPN universe waiting for when he gets added to the player pool...

If you spot it, could you message me? I'll do the same. I've been checking just about every morning but don't want to accidentally miss it!

• Like 1

What kind of ceiling are we looking at for Walker B? I've read some articles earlier this year saying mid rotation/#2 ceiling but he seems to have taken a step forward this year. 

I know he's a bit of a mystery but are we looking at potential ace upside? 

6 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

What kind of ceiling are we looking at for Walker B? I've read some articles earlier this year saying mid rotation/#2 ceiling but he seems to have taken a step forward this year. 

#1 upside. Dodgers have kiddie gloves on with him right now.

Edited by hrh210
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

Ace upside, and even best pitcher in baseball upside. 

• Like 1

I think you might be a little TOO excited there buddy.  There's definitely some ace upside there but it's WAY WAY too soon and optimistic about the second half of that statement.  

• Like 2

Made another relief appearance last night. Still holding my breath for that bullpen callup and corresponding ESPN player pool addition... 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rrrich46 said:

What are the chance he's in the rotation in early 2018?

Just laying the options out there (no specific order):

1-Kershaw

2-Hill

3-Wood

4-Maeda

5-McCarthy

6-Ryu

7-Stewart

8-Kazmir

Did not consider Urias due to injury. Dodgers are loaded, but Buehler could definitely force the issue. Looks like he could use a bit more work based on his AAA #'s, but small sample size alert there. I don't think the Dodgers care about cost, they'll start the 5 best options and continue to manipulate the DL, expanding their staff.

Edited by Light Tower Power

On 8/9/2017 at 11:46 AM, SiCespedes52 said:

Now I'll spend my days scanning the ESPN universe waiting for when he gets added to the player pool...

Yet another prospect ESPN doesn't have in their pool to go along with Brandon Woodruff people here mentioned a while ago?  What is wrong with them.  People on ESPN like to mock Yahoo all the time in this forum yet Buehler was in Yahoo's pool from the very start this season.  I keep hearing people tout ESPN but man if I was still waiting to own Bueler at this point in the season I'd be going nuts by now and be off looking for a new platform.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yet another prospect ESPN doesn't have in their pool to go along with Brandon Woodruff people here mentioned a while ago?  What is wrong with them.  People on ESPN like to mock Yahoo all the time in this forum yet Buehler was in Yahoo's pool from the very start this season.  I keep hearing people tout ESPN but man if I was still waiting to own Bueler at this point in the season I'd be going nuts by now and be off looking for a new platform.

The answer is so simple for them, just put everyone in the database that is on Keith Law's top prospect list. Any long term league, just use place holders so you aren't limited by the platform.

Edited by Light Tower Power

9 hours ago, Light Tower Power said:

Just laying the options out there (no specific order):

1-Kershaw

2-Hill

3-Wood

4-Maeda

5-McCarthy

6-Ryu

7-Stewart

8-Kazmir

Did not consider Urias due to injury. Dodgers are loaded, but Buehler could definitely force the issue. Looks like he could use a bit more work based on his AAA #'s, but small sample size alert there. I don't think the Dodgers care about cost, they'll start the 5 best options and continue to manipulate the DL, expanding their staff.

I see a full orthopedic waiting room there, Kershaw aside. I'm grabbing him.

On 8/9/2017 at 10:46 AM, SiCespedes52 said:

I thought ESPN added players after the 1st game of the promotion. That is for players not in the database to start the season.

18 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

I thought ESPN added players after the 1st game of the promotion. That is for players not in the database to start the season.

I have no idea what ESPN's player universe settings are. For example, they have no name guys hidden deep in the A's minor league system available, but not one of the top up and coming SP prospects in Buehler. Makes no sense. 

Edited by SiCespedes52

4 hours ago, Low and Away said:

That's the general rule, yes. But the reality is that players are added as the staff realizes it. To use a recent example, Brandon Woodruff of the Brewers wasn't added until roughly 4-5 days after his first MLB appearance. A bigger name like Buehler might be added the next day but it is not automated or guaranteed - hence the need for vigilance. I myself have emailed them a few times over the years asking for an addition and they've typically been responsive. I bet they just don't have the staff to keep up with all the player transactions. 

8 hours ago, amcsoldier said:

That's the general rule, yes. But the reality is that players are added as the staff realizes it. To use a recent example, Brandon Woodruff of the Brewers wasn't added until roughly 4-5 days after his first MLB appearance. A bigger name like Buehler might be added the next day but it is not automated or guaranteed - hence the need for vigilance. I myself have emailed them a few times over the years asking for an addition and they've typically been responsive. I bet they just don't have the staff to keep up with all the player transactions. 

Actually it was Woodruff's second ML appearance as in he was scheduled for a start and injured himself warming up and was DL'ed for some time.  An appearance database wise  is being in uniform with the team.  Or should be.  That's how Yahoo handled Woodruff.  They added him as soon as he was called up the first time the day he got injured and DL'ed via the waiver wire mechanism.

ESPN "staff" isn't trying to keep up with player transactions.  They just download stuff from a database sub-contractor that gets theirs from MLB's database.  If the database screws up or leaves someone off you have to contact the platform just like you did to get them to enter a player by hand.