ST. STEVEN

Walker Buehler SP-LAD

I don't think I've ever seen people be this excited over what will essentially be a middle reliever for the rest of the season. ;)

Yes, I'm aware that these are all likely keeper leagues...

Yes just us dynasty/keeper leaguers here.  I just chatted with ESPN.  They said they would be adding him today.  I started me harassment of ESPN when Walker through his first pitch.  I might be a bit crazy.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheBoatmen said:

Yes just us dynasty/keeper leaguers here.  I just chatted with ESPN.  They said they would be adding him today.  I started me harassment of ESPN when Walker through his first pitch.  I might be a bit crazy.

No big deal.  Just had to point it out.

I would probably pick him up as well, but we only keep 9 players in our league.  Not really an option even though he's obviously really good.

6 hours ago, TheBoatmen said:

I just chatted with ESPN.  They said they would be adding him today.

Or...not?

7 hours ago, TheBoatmen said:

Did you chat over the phone or with their online CS? Because I'm pretty sure the online chat is a bot. 

7 hours ago, TheBoatmen said:

Update: well, they aren't bots. I asked to confirm that I was speaking to a human and the girl somehow got wildly offended and couldnt believe that chat bots really exist. Good times.

Girl #2 i spoke to said he'd be added in 24-48 hours. Down to the wire for me; free agency locks for the year on first pitch Monday!

On 9/8/2017 at 8:19 PM, joboo said:

It's going to suck when he doesn't have SP eligibility when he gets called up next season.

Why?  You can put him in a plain P slot until he regains it if you don't want to use a RP slot.

I think it'll be 2019 before he makes any sort of fantasy impact.  He just doesn't have enough innings under his belt yet.  He may be a handful of starts sporadically throughout the year.

If I were to guess, I would say starter in AAA to begin things. He only started a couple games in AAA before moving to the bullpen in prep for his callup. Doesn't really seem like they will have a dire need for him in the rotation right away and he could use more time to season in AAA and build up innings. This year was his first minor league season (other than five innings in 2016) and he only threw 98 innings. I bet he doesn't have much impact as a SP until second half of 2018 at the earliest.

The buzz among the "experts" has been that he'll be starting in 2018 - if not out of ST, then early enough in May. He's still very much a "high ceiling" guy - very projectable - but I agree with @I like baseball - expectations for 2018 should be tempered. Buehler's a long-term play. He could be good in 2018 but it'll be 2019 or 2020 before he's great (side note.... weird to type 2020, feels like the distant future).

• Like 1

YAY!

Manager Dave Roberts said Buehler will work as a starter in 2018, Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports.
Spin:
Buehler finished last season as a reliever after earning a September callup, though the Dodgers have always viewed the talented righty as a starter in the long term. While he struggled during his brief stint with the big club, posting a 7.71 ERA, 2.04 WHIP and 12:8 K:BB in 9.1 innings, the 23-year-old compiled a more respectable 3.35 ERA, 1.11 WHIP and 125:31 K:BB through 88.2 innings across three levels of the minors prior to his promotion. He misses bats at an impressive clip and has front-of-the-rotation stuff, headlined by a plus curveball and a fastball that can serve as another reliable offering. The Dodgers have starters to burn, however, so Buehler will likely be competing for a back-end rotation spot in spring training.
  • Like 4

If you mean in the starting rotation, Kershaw, Hill, Wood, Maeda, Ryu and possibly still Darvish all say, "Hi!" 

Edited by Halo Fan

7 hours ago, Halo Fan said:

If you mean in the starting rotation, Kershaw, Hill, Wood, Maeda, Ryu and possibly still Darvish all say, "Hi!" 

darvish? i don't think the dodgers current payroll can support darvish unless they make some pretty substantial moves.

edit: not that they don't have the money, but they probably don't have the capability to sign darvish and stay under the luxury tax cap. the article below touches on this..

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/walker-buehler-may-be-key-to-what-comes-next-for-dodgers/

Edited by osb_tensor

2 hours ago, Halo Fan said:

That's why I said "possibly.";)

And that is still 5 names - any chance with their numbers they go a 6-man rotation?

Kershaw - has missed pretty significant time the last two seasons

Wood - is sort of that classic swing guy who is very effective for a starter but can he be a 200 inning guy?  6 man would help that

Hill - has not made more than 25 starts since George W Bush was in office...

Ryu - going into his 31 year old season, he has pushed 190 innings only the one time in his career

Maeda - turns 30 in April, probably best suited for 30 starts, but really hasnt been that effective doing that. 

the issue is no guarantees if they go 6 that its Buehler and not Urias.  I own Buehler on the cheap in my auction keeper league, I just wish he had a much clearer pathway to being a starter for 2018

7 minutes ago, parrothead said:

And that is still 5 names - any chance with their numbers they go a 6-man rotation?

Kershaw - has missed pretty significant time the last two seasons

Wood - is sort of that classic swing guy who is very effective for a starter but can he be a 200 inning guy?  6 man would help that

Hill - has not made more than 25 starts since George W Bush was in office...

Ryu - going into his 31 year old season, he has pushed 190 innings only the one time in his career

Maeda - turns 30 in April, probably best suited for 30 starts, but really hasnt been that effective doing that. 

the issue is no guarantees if they go 6 that its Buehler and not Urias.  I own Buehler on the cheap in my auction keeper league, I just wish he had a much clearer pathway to being a starter for 2018

I don't think teams want to go to a 6 man rotation unless they're really forced too. Especially in April when there's extra rest days. It doesn't make much sense to shorten the bench or bullpen just to get Buehler into the rotation in April. But for all the reasons you have mentioned it's only a matter time before he gets his shot. All those guys aren't holding up.

Can't rely on Ryu or Hill to be honest. Kersha, Maeda, Wood are the only 3 reliable options in my opinion opening the door for the youngsters. Hill and Ryu are still good/decent options, but I'm seeing at least room for opportunity.