ST. STEVEN

Walker Buehler SP-LAD

Another thing to keep in mind with Buehler is the Dodgers were real cautious with him last year coming off TJ. He threw a total of 98 IP. I doubt they want him to throw 200 next season, so it might not be a bad idea to have him wait a month or two before joining the rotation.

On 12/21/2017 at 3:48 PM, Dark Kn19ht said:

Can't rely on Ryu or Hill to be honest. Kersha, Maeda, Wood are the only 3 reliable options in my opinion opening the door for the youngsters. Hill and Ryu are still good/decent options, but I'm seeing at least room for opportunity.

Hill was better than Maeda

• Like 1

On 12/21/2017 at 2:08 PM, SpartyOn4 said:

Another thing to keep in mind with Buehler is the Dodgers were real cautious with him last year coming off TJ. He threw a total of 98 IP. I doubt they want him to throw 200 next season, so it might not be a bad idea to have him wait a month or two before joining the rotation.

Just throwing it out there 

Not enough pitchers throw 200ip any more for this to mater as a concern. 

140 good IP is more than enough from anyone I didn’t invest in sp3 or better price.  

On 12/22/2017 at 3:58 PM, azeri98 said:

Hill was better than Maeda

They were arguably comparable. Regardless though, LAD's starting pitching is not as stout as it may seem and pretty thin in my opinion. 

Getting back to my original statement about Buehler, there seems to be an opening for him in the rotation this year.

On 12/21/2017 at 5:08 PM, SpartyOn4 said:

If the Dodgers were being cautious, his four seam fastball being 200 rpm faster than the mlb average is encouraging.

Dave Roberts says he will get in between 140-150 innings this year which is a big increase from 98.  Anybody know how he did in his B game today?

Found the answer.  He pitched on inning.  Gave up a triple but K'ed 3 out of 4 batters.  He was apparently tinkering with his slider trying to reduce the speed giving it more break.  Can't argue with the results even though it was a B game.

This kid reminds me of a young Jake Peavy. Seems to be very confident in his stuff,  easy repeatable delivery, 2 seamer is filthy!  ?

Edited by LarryChip10
  • Like 1

His 2018 kicked off vs Iowa:

4 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

72 P (45 S)

7-0 GO-AO

• Like 2

kinda wish they stopped wasting his bullets in AAA...I get it, but if they wanted to really curtail his IP then just hold him back on a throwing program in Extended Spring...hopefully they will find a spot in the rotation soon?

19 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

kinda wish they stopped wasting his bullets in AAA...I get it, but if they wanted to really curtail his IP then just hold him back on a throwing program in Extended Spring...hopefully they will find a spot in the rotation soon?

I mean, if you calculate that each month at the MLB level is the rough equivalent of 30-35-ish innings and Buehler probably only gets allowed to throw somewhere around 120-130IP this year, then I don't know how they deploy him at the MLB level before the end of May. I mean they could do that, then shut him down early, but I would think they'd want him available out of the BP at least in the playoffs.

Not trying to be a hater, but is there much reason to be excited from a fantasy perspective this year? The dodgers are the most stingy team with starters' innings, other than Kershaw. Throw in that they're probably gun shy from Urias, he had less than 100 IP last year, and they may want him around for the playoffs and I don't see how he has any fantasy relevance, for 2018. 

Obviuosly in keepers the appeal is obvious, but I always stay away from highly touted minor league pitchers unless I have years to be patient with them. Patience isn't one of my strengths though 

4 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Obviuosly in keepers the appeal is obvious, but I always stay away from highly touted minor league pitchers unless I have years to be patient with them. Patience isn't one of my strengths though 

Completely league dependent. We keep up to 10 players per year and there are no minor league slots, so if you roster prospects they take up valuable roster space. So if they produce that year its worth the risk