Homerj24

Aaron Nola 2017 Outlook

304 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Who's starting him tomorrow? Touched on it earlier but I wasn't as enthusiastic about what I saw in his first start as some. 

I am. 

Not super confident, but no better options either. 

1 hour ago, absknicks said:

Who's starting him tomorrow? Touched on it earlier but I wasn't as enthusiastic about what I saw in his first start as some. 

I wouldn't be confident starting Bob Gibson against the Nats tomorrow. Harper/Murphy seem laser focused, a terror for righties.

A low-end quality start (6ip|3er) almost seems like a best-case-scenario.

But I'm starting becuz yolo  

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Washington doesn't scare me, he'll be good for a couple Ks on Rendon at least 

They've scored the 2nd most runs in the league right now, with highest batting average to boot. Only reason I'm starting Nola is because he looked decent against them last outing.

Great start today, especially facing the same team within a week. Gotta love that K/BB ratio so far. 

1 person likes this

He looked really good today.  Stay healthy and we have an SP2...

2 people like this

Velocity up 2 MPH is that for real?  Or a precursor to dreaded TJ?  

2 people like this

Not much talk about Nola this year and on most expert rankings Nola doesn't break the top 40. However, velocity is up, 4seamer and cutter getting better movement, and swinging strike rate at an exciting 14%. He is locating pitches again and fip xfip are sitting at a cool 1.10 1.90. Up against Syndergard today and I am starting with confidence!

2 people like this

I just bought a share of Nola. Velocity has me intrigued, worth a flier at least.

I'm points so wins matter, had to sit him this week. But watching his starts and liking what I'm seeing so far. 

mets are ice cold at the plate so start with confidence. might not get the W against thor but should be a good bet for a QS.

After Paxton, Nola is my #2 "Flag-Plant" pitcher. The combination of movement and command is unparalleled, and it's not like he's a soft-tosser (especially with the velocity uptick). Health/mechanics concern me, but at the price point he was an easy buy for me. Nola and Paxton are on every one of my teams.

2 people like this

7 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

After Paxton, Nola is my #2 "Flag-Plant" pitcher. The combination of movement and command is unparalleled, and it's not like he's a soft-tosser (especially with the velocity uptick). Health/mechanics concern me, but at the price point he was an easy buy for me. Nola and Paxton are on every one of my teams.

I just acquired him the other day.  This is my first start with him.  Last year I picked him up right as he got murderous beatings and I was very critical of him.  Hoping to see more this time around.  Here's to second chances.

(1)Download Reddit app

(2)Search "MLBstreams"

(3)Watch Nola deal

...every game every night, it has been so beneficial to watch SP's deal in real-time.  This is the greatest help to fantasy managers making personnel decisions.  The app is free by the way and you can watch on your phone obviously.  Love it had to share.  I look forward to watching Nola once or twice a week since he hit my radar early in the 2016 season 

Edited by East Tennessee Clutch

Looks like he got all of the run support he needs tonight. 

He doesn't have good enough stuff to be behind 2-1, 3-1 to every hitter.  He's at his best working ahead in the count.  **** command today.  Going to be ugly.  Onto next one.

6 minutes ago, treat88 said:

0-2 HR to Walker

Short of walking the pitcher I hate nothing more than a fat challenge pitch on 0-2.

It was a curve ball middle of the plate but below the zone and he golfed it out. It just wasn't a real sharp curve like he can throw. I don't know if I would say it was a challenge pitch. 

Edited by Random Dude
2 people like this

5 minutes ago, Mickey Donovan said:

So this guy is not good, huh? Traded for him last week.

@mysonx3 loves him.  My viewing of him last year was extensively in second half.  I thought he was absolute garbage.  My thoughts are well documented in last years thread.  Apparently he wasn't healthy though.  I haven't watched him this year so it would be a disservice to the board if I commented him.  But from what I saw last year I hated his change up I thought it was a miserable pitch.  Not sure he'll fare well consistently vs lefties unless that develops.

1 person likes this

Just hoping for 1 more inning, maybe get a cheap win out of this and get out of town without the ratios getting completely murdered. 

2 people like this

Sure would be nice if he could go deeper than 5 innings a game. One day. 

Back down to 90 MPH average on the fastball yesterday.  Early season velo spike may be a mirage.  And if so he's probably just a mediocre option in fantasy.  Worth keeping an eye on moving forward.

14 hours ago, Mickey Donovan said:

So this guy is not good, huh? Traded for him last week.

(Obligatory notice of bias).  I think he has good stuff.  Still somewhat unrefined, but he has the raw talent to be a plus fantasy option.  I don't think it's an accident that he threw for a sub 3.00 and sub 1.00 WHIP the first two months of last season.  When his changeup and curveball are on, he can put on a good performance.  Now last night he looked to be missing some of his spots, but in general I still like him ROS, though I'd opine that he's still a couple of years from reaching his full potential. 

He's not at his best right now and he's still not that bad. It's early. He's 23. Two very good pitchers got rocked in that game. Homer bias but I don't have any alarms going off right now.

I think the bottom line is that if you believe Nola is real he's worth holding. If you don't I have to imagine you've already cut him. 

2 people like this

this from pitcherlist.com which talks about all starters the following day.

Aaron Nola – 5.0 IP, 4 ER, 7 Hits, 4 BBs, 2 Ks. I watched this start because how could I not and I was a little disappointed with Nola. Yes, all of his hits early on were essentially infield hits, and Neil Walker’s 3-run HR was on a Curveball below the zone, but he wasn’t putting away batters and didn’t have that pristine command I’m used to. I’m not the slightest worried, it’s just annoying. Keep in mind, those balls bounce differently early on, he’s less stressed and possibly hitting those spots later. Shrug it off and have no fear in the future.

3 people like this