Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Members_Only_76

Jung-Ho Kang 2017 Outlook

80 posts in this topic

Talent is there, when he plays he produces. Hope he can move on and clear his past and keep his nose clean.

Will he avoid suspension? Worth drafting or wait and see approach? S. Korea dropped him from the World Baseball roster.

Credit Big Bat for motivating new 2017 thread and topics...

Someone had to make a 2017 thread for this guy.  It just wasn't right to be bashing the guy in the 2016 thread.  If we are going to judge, criticize, condescend Kang we may as well be doing it in the 2017 thread!! 

2 people like this

Thanks Members_Only_76.  Being too lazy to make this thread myself I am now too lazy to make a new post so copied and pasted this from the 2016 one:

I don't see how he will avoid a major suspension.  First the "iffy" at the very least conduct regards the woman.  But second and the real nail in the coffin is his third DUI plus fleeing a scene of an accident plus lying to police saying it wasn't him behind the wheel.  South Korea already dropped him from the World Baseball roster.  The Koreans view all of this as very VERY serious.  MLB will at the very least view this as kind of serious.  I'm guessing a 50 day suspension.

1 person likes this

Going the other direction here, on the potential issue with a woman there appears to be no case at this point, not weighing in whatsoever on what did or didn't occur - just pointing out they could never find the girl to comment on the incident. So if nothing new that's done, occurred last June, nothing new to date, I'd say at this point probably nothing is going to come from it. The alcohol issue per the collective bargaining agreement, he will have to appear before a panel, receive a recommendation and that's pretty much it, up to him to follow it or not. MLB does not suspend for alcohol issues, or at least has not in the past, would be setting a precedent here - not sure this is the case they would choose to battle the union on penalizing for alcohol. Guessing not. Not knowing the legal system in Korea but I'm guessing he will not serve any time. Personally hope he learns his lesson but I'm not seeing any suspension unless it is team imposed.  

1 person likes this

I'd be shocked if he gets 50 games, all he has against him right now is the DUI. Jeffress got off clean this year and hes been suspended in the past, if anything there might be *some* punishment from the Pirates.

As far as Korea, I believe he loses his license and faces a fine because it was his 3rd DUI

Edited by mpbaseball22

Not just a third DUI but separate charges of fleeing the scene of an accident and also lying to authorities later denying he was the driver.  DUI is bad enough, a third one worse, leaving the scene of an accident and lying to authorities really bad.  It could be worse than just a fine.  Far worse if the other party had been seriously injured in the car accident he caused.  Fortunately for the other party he wasn't injured badly. 

And it was an accident he caused, he just wasn't pulled over for driving erratically.  He caused a freaking crash after he decided to drive drunk again after he already had two DUI's in the past.  This guy has major problems and if this is just waved off with a mere wrist slap he will only be encouraged to do it again and maybe kill someone the fourth time.  (The woman incident may not have gone to court but it has an additive effect to his over all problems and may be coupled into his drinking as well).

Again, MLB does NOT have to have a conviction or even a court case finished or even pending to suspend a player.  So again I believe he will get some serious time suspension-wise.  The days of a wink and a nod for this kind of potentially lethal crap are over in baseball.

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Not just a third DUI but separate charges of fleeing the scene of an accident and also lying to authorities later denying he was the driver.  DUI is bad enough, a third one worse, leaving the scene of an accident and lying to authorities really bad.  It could be worse than just a fine.  Far worse if the other party had been seriously injured in the car accident he caused.  Fortunately for the other party he wasn't injured badly. 

And it was an accident he caused, he just wasn't pulled over for driving erratically.  He caused a freaking crash after he decided to drive drunk again after he already had two DUI's in the past.  This guy has major problems and if this is just waved off with a mere wrist slap he will only be encouraged to do it again and maybe kill someone the fourth time.  (The woman incident may not have gone to court but it has an additive effect to his over all problems and may be coupled into his drinking as well).

Again, MLB does NOT have to have a conviction or even a court case finished or even pending to suspend a player.  So again I believe he will get some serious time suspension-wise.  The days of a wink and a nod for this kind of potentially lethal crap are over in baseball.

They do, however, have to have it be included in the collective bargaining agreement with the MLBPA, just like the NFL does for their sanctions on guys.  Kang's not the first guy arrested for a DUI - hell, he's not even the first Korean player with one (Choo).  You're right in that they should do something, but it's unlikely without seeing it added to the list of topics for the next CBA.

I'm not trying to minimize the driving while intoxicated but just pointing out the facts, he hit a guard rail. It was a one car accident. No other vehicles were involved - thankfully. This is a legal matter, MLB is not going to suspend over it, it's negotiated in the collective bargaining agreement. They operate based on the collective bargaining agreement. MLB players are not suspended for using marjuana, MLB players are not suspended for DUI by the league. If the team chooses to suspend their player it is up to them. This is a legal matter, we have a judicial system. Personally I think that is the proper way to handle it, the legal system should settle the issue, if you don't like the legal system contact your representative (in this case in Korea). Shouldn't impact a persons ability to make a living if the legal system has deemed them free to go. I agree with you it appears he has a problem with alcohol and makes poor decisions under the influence and needs to seek help before he hurts someone and is lucky he hasn't yet but the league can not suspend him based on their agreement - this is not the NFL and Roger Goodell does not rule all (thankfully). 

The woman "incident", court, hell, there wasn't even an investigation... barely a case file or note pad on the issue. There was a potential claim and no follow up that's it but it's been written about 1,000 times because it gets clicks. Its a hot button issue... Now may be something really happened but it appears nothing and we will never know because the person never came forward. In this country a person is innocent until proven guilty and we have absolutely nothing but one claim with no backup when asked to come forward for a statement.

4 people like this

MLB can suspend anyone for anything basically for the "better interests of baseball" or whatever clause they have.  Familia will get a suspension even though his case never went to court and nothing was proven legally.  Everyone in baseball knows that suspension is coming.  And they know a Kang suspension is coming too.  And Kang will get suspended for all the laws he DID break and has been proven completely to have been broken.  He is in a worse situation than Familia.

54 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

MLB can suspend anyone for anything basically for the "better interests of baseball" or whatever clause they have.  Familia will get a suspension even though his case never went to court and nothing was proven legally.  Everyone in baseball knows that suspension is coming.  And they know a Kang suspension is coming too.  And Kang will get suspended for all the laws he DID break and has been proven completely to have been broken.  He is in a worse situation than Familia.

For the third time, MLB and the MLBPA has very clear language around domestic violence in the latest collective bargaining agreement.  No such language exists around alcohol or drug usage or charges leading to them.  

The old "best interests of baseball" clause was used in extreme measures towards things that affect competitive play like the Black Sox scandal or the McCourts with the Dodgers - not off the field issues of individual players.  

1 person likes this

Drinking and Driving is a serious offense in Korea and the law is more often enforced than not these days.
a. 
Driving while intoxicated (this means a blood alcohol level of over 0.05%) is punishable by imprisonment of up to 2 years and a fine of up to 3 million won.
b. 
Driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.05-0.35% is punishable by law, and those with over 0.36% are arrested and detained.
c. 
Anyone who has been caught drinking and driving on 3 previous occasions is automatically detained, regardless of the degree of intoxication.

A  could be a real problem for him as it is his third.  MLB may not be the only lne he needs to worry about. 

http://www.korea4expats.com/article-traffic-laws.html

2 people like this

4 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Drinking and Driving is a serious offense in Korea and the law is more often enforced than not these days.
a. 
Driving while intoxicated (this means a blood alcohol level of over 0.05%) is punishable by imprisonment of up to 2 years and a fine of up to 3 million won.
b. 
Driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.05-0.35% is punishable by law, and those with over 0.36% are arrested and detained.
c. 
Anyone who has been caught drinking and driving on 3 previous occasions is automatically detained, regardless of the degree of intoxication.

A  could be a real problem for him as it is his third.  MLB may not be the only lne he needs to worry about. 

Wouldn't that give him issues on his next one (which, if you get 4 you're an idiot)

He does seem to have character issues which makes him hard to rely on and really like as a player.

If I could rely on a full season from him I'd be interested as I like the talent, but with all these charges hanging over his head I'll let him be someone elses problem. Unless he really slips in drafts, I wouldnt take him in the first 15 rounds though I don't think.

This guy will never produce until he starts pronouncing his name the way it's written on the back of his jersey!  It's KANG!  Not "Gung".  KANG!

Do Australians say, "G'day, mate!  Ya get a look at that GUNGAROO over there, yet?"  No, they don't!

He needs to do one of three things this spring training:

1.  Tell the media to call him KANG.

2. Stop raping chicks.

3. Stop drinking.

If he does just one of those three, he'll have a good year.  If he does all three...we're looking at a triple crown winner this year, folks!

5 people like this

11 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

Wouldn't that give him issues on his next one (which, if you get 4 you're an idiot)

No it would already be an issue as in maybe he got a break the first two times and this is his third. Point A doesn't come into being after three but is in play on the first offense. And the article does state Korea is getting tougher on driving violations. He probably skates with celebrity status and playing for the National team.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Low and Away said:

No it would already be an issue as in maybe he got a break the first two times and this is his third. Point A doesn't come into being after three but is in play on the first offense. And the article does state Korea is getting tougher on driving violations. He probably skates with celebrity status and playing for the National team.

He doesn't play for their national team anymore.  He was officially kicked off the team last week or the week before was it because of this whole issue.  No longer on the roster.

23 hours ago, Low and Away said:

a. 
b. 
c. 

I lived there for a few years. The irony is that I have never seen so many people drink and drive in my life as I did in Korea. I watched people literally fall out of their cars, drunk, to go into a connivence store.

2 people like this

Edited by mpbaseball22
2 people like this

34 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Now we wait for the sentence the Pirates hand down.

Don't hold your breath...

BTW, he's dirt cheap right now.  We'll see if the price holds or how high the ADP rises, but he produces when he's on the field.

4 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Don't hold your breath...

BTW, he's dirt cheap right now.  We'll see if the price holds or how high the ADP rises, but he produces when he's on the field.

Absolute steal if he gets even 30 games. 

Not many people are holding a mid-late round guy on a 30 game suspension.  I sure wouldn't.

1 minute ago, MJDrocks said:

Not many people are holding a mid-late round guy on a 30 game suspension.  I sure wouldn't.

Depends on what you think his talent is. I don't think this is a mid-late round guy. I think this is a near top 100 guy. 

Just now, taobball said:

Depends on what you think his talent is. I don't think this is a mid-late round guy. I think this is a near top 100 guy. 

I think he's solid player when he's on the field but he's injury prone and a trouble maker.  Someone I wouldn't want to invest a high pick on.