wily mo

Mitch Haniger 2017 Outlook

ST raking doesn't mean much to me. I need to see it at the start of the season before I start to believe.

I'll say this -- Jerry Dipoto is a pretty sharp GM.  There's a reason he made all the deals he made this offseason.  They were building to a plan, and Haniger is part of it.  A chunk of that is for his defense (which should keep him in the lineup).  The other chunk is their scouts buying his swing change and output in the minor leagues last year.  He's also extremely mature and professional in his approach.

One of my late game targets... I like him.

What's going to be interesting is what they do with O'Neil if he forces his way into the majors.  Dyson and Haniger both look to be having great springs and both have excellent defense.  

^

I think Dyson is a place holder and nothing more.  If Haniger produces he'll stay in RF for a few years.

Yeah it'll work itself out. M's have put a emphasis on OF defense and Hainger being a plus defender alone keeps him around. I mean Leonys Martin and Dyson are not very good hitters either. Haniger could end up being the best hitter of that 3 pack of CF skilled OFers. 

On 3/16/2017 at 2:50 PM, swfcdan said:

ST raking doesn't mean much to me. I need to see it at the start of the season before I start to believe.

It'll be too late by then.  Mitch is going to be huge this year.

Sigh...OK I bought into the hype and reached for him in round 16... *5 OF league*

Anyone have any insight on what we might expect to see out of Mitch in the batting average department. I was thinking about targeting him as a 5th OF in several of my leagues, but I don't like what the projections are calling for from his batting average. Zips has him at .237, steamer has him at .249, and depth charts has him hitting .243. I'd be curious to hear what others think. 

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Anyone have any insight on what we might expect to see out of Mitch in the batting average department. I was thinking about targeting him as a 5th OF in several of my leagues, but I don't like what the projections are calling for from his batting average. Zips has him at .237, steamer has him at .249, and depth charts has him hitting .243. I'd be curious to hear what others think. 

.290 career minor league hitter entering his age 26 season where a lot of guys start playing the best baseball of their careers.  I think .265 is conservative, with how good he's looked in Spring I honestly think a .275-.280 average is very obtainable. 

3 hours ago, meh2 said:

.240 with pretty good power is spot-on.

I posted this in another thread, but  I'll repeat: his approach (punting the outside third of the plate) is ideal for mashing AAA and ST. He was badly exposed after about 40 AB in AZ. There was a game where I think it was John Niese struck him out 3 times pounding that pansy 88 mph outside heat. After that, never once did a catcher set up on the inside half of the plate, and all he bothered to swing at were mistakes inside.

I've only looked at a handful of AB this spring, but from what I see he's fully extended and bent at the waist to get the barrel on stuff middle of the plate and in. I don't see decent average unless he grows a pair and decides to cover the plate.

19 minutes ago, bdy1 said:

.240 with pretty good power is spot-on.

I posted this in another thread, but  I'll repeat: his approach (punting the outside third of the plate) is ideal for mashing AAA and ST. He was badly exposed after about 40 AB in AZ. There was a game where I think it was John Niese struck him out 3 times pounding that pansy 88 mph outside heat. After that, never once did a catcher set up on the inside half of the plate, and all he bothered to swing at were mistakes inside.

I've only looked at a handful of AB this spring, but from what I see he's fully extended and bent at the waist to get the barrel on stuff middle of the plate and in. I don't see decent average unless he grows a pair and decides to cover the plate.

Thanks for the insight. I tend to get a little carried away with searching for the next young breakout player. His ADP looks to be around 330-340 which would be the 28th round for 12 team leagues. If he's there I'll probably grab him as a bench player with upside but I don't think I'll reach for him.

I'll take a chance on him late but I tend to agree with bdy1 about his approach setting him up for failure. I haven't seen him bat yet this year but a successful MLB hitter needs to be able to punch that painted heater hard the other way

Anyone care to give a projection for Hanny this year ?? 

9 hours ago, chud12 said:

Anyone care to give a projection for Hanny this year ?? 

I might be way to optimistic on Haniger but here's what I think he's going to do.

15hr/58rbi/12ab/.263

11 minutes ago, Dodgers said:

If he gets 15 HR's in 12 ab's I will be impressed :)

His slugging percentage would be off the charts...literally.  Unfortunately, unless he does it in 1 week, there won't be much value in that in head to head or roto ;)

Seriously though, I like him as a lotto ticket.  Was able to pick him up off waivers near the end of last year in a deep dynasty.  As fun as the studs are to own, I find it a lot more gratifying to snag a player for free who turns up having decent value.  I'll be rooting for him this season.  Hoping he's a late bloomer.

57 minutes ago, yort1919 said:

I might be way to optimistic on Haniger but here's what I think he's going to do.

15hr/58rbi/12ab/.263

I meant SB lol

Batting 2nd tonight. That's a good start for his value.

Just now, HaloFanatic17 said:

Just stole a base, I don't know much about him but is he a speedster and how many SBs is realistic for him?

He said he's ripping 20 bags. I don't know why, but I believe him yo.

I hope he can stick in that 2 hole. Would be a great spot for him hitting behind Segura and in front of Cano, Cruz and Seager.

It appears he has a decent leash, but that would be huge.

i keep waiting for someone to declare him a bust after 3 games so i can point out that the entire mariners offense has been shut down by some good pitching so far, nelson + cano are a combined 3 for 24, etc

but nobody's doing it

why are you guys being so mature about this and depriving me of my fun

is it on the overreaction thread? where is it. take me to the haniger doubt

18 hours ago, bradwatson said:

He said he's ripping 20 bags. I don't know why, but I believe him yo.

Hitting two hole and been given the green light ... give me the over on 20 SBs all day.

2 hours ago, Yceman1234 said:

1 hit and 5 Ks....this guy is terrible...more like CANT-iger.  Drop City!

Our good friend @2ndCitySox started a thread for this....

2 hours ago, Yceman1234 said:

1 hit and 5 Ks....this guy is terrible...more like CANT-iger.  Drop City!

Here you go @wily mo