Flyman75

Jose Peraza 2017 Outlook

I'm all in.  One of my keepers.  Figure .280+ 80+ runs 40-50 steals plus SS, 2nd and OF eligibility?  Yes please!

Edited by FUM

2 minutes ago, FUM said:

I'm all in.  One of my keepers.  Figure .280+ 80+ runs 40-50 steals plus SS, 2nd and OF eligibility?  Yes please!

Slow down there Buckaroo.  You know he's penciled in to hit 8th?

13 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Slow down there Buckaroo.  You know he's penciled in to hit 8th?

Lol I know but honestly how many lineups projected in March end up lasting all 6 months?

4 hours ago, arbys5for5 said:

I read he's moving to 2nd, can anyone confirm?  

with Brandon Phillips going to Atlanta,  Peraza should be starting regularly at 2nd.

He could move to SS when Cozart isn't playing also, with Dilson Herrera playing 2nd.

Finally getting a chance to be a full time player, I see Peraza doing good things this season. He's got the speed, he's got skills, he's young, he's got the opportunity...who knows.

Jose Peraza finished 2-for-3 with a run scored and an RBI in the Reds' loss to the Giants on Sunday.

Peraza hit an RBI single in the bottom of the second and then doubled in the bottom of the fourth. He again started at second base and batted leadoff for the Reds. The talented 22-year-old is shaping up as a highly-valuable fantasy commodity for the 2017 season.

?

The one thing Peraza owners can bank on is that upper management wants this dude to succeed.  If I were a Reds fan I would want the cornerstone in a Todd Frazier trade to be a long-term starter.  Doing whatever they could to trade Phillips after Peraza lit the world on fire in the 2nd half only enhances that theory.

Right now I see the line-up this way:

1. Hamilton

2. Peraza

3. Votto

4. Duvall

5. Suarez

6. Schebler

7. Cozart

8. Mesoraco (until he proves he's worth a damn again)

9. Pitcher

With how well Peraza has been doing in ST along with his speedy playmaking ability, I don't see how he hits any worse than 6th.

12 minutes ago, overkill94 said:

The one thing Peraza owners can bank on is that upper management wants this dude to succeed.  If I were a Reds fan I would want the cornerstone in a Todd Frazier trade to be a long-term starter.  Doing whatever they could to trade Phillips after Peraza lit the world on fire in the 2nd half only enhances that.

Echoing this thought,  they traded for him twice (he was a key piece in the cancelled Chapman trade).

strong spring is pushing his draft stock even higher - may be $15 at my auction draft!  Before the Phillips trade I had him earmarked for a $1 player with big mid season upside!  

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

are you guys drafting him before a guy like Nunez??

For sure, he's legit. Have him ranked #9 at SS and he's a borderline top 100 player now.

9 hours ago, Big Tuna said:

strong spring is pushing his draft stock even higher - may be $15 at my auction draft!  Before the Phillips trade I had him earmarked for a $1 player with big mid season upside!  

He went for $10 in my auction draft this past Saturday.

9 hours ago, bigbossman said:

Is he going to be the real Dee Gordon??

I don't think he steals as many bases. 

This guy at 2B over guys like Kipnis, Pedroia, Schoop, Travis?

23 minutes ago, midlip said:

Personally, he's quite a bit below Kipnis and Pedroia for me. He can't draw walks, is on lesser run producing team, and he SB% isn't that good. He is fast, but he isn't Billy Hamilton.  Quite honestly, I see him as an Alcides Escobar replica. 

1 hour ago, midlip said:

I think he's a solid BA with ~35 SB, but I wouldn't rank him above Kipnis, Pedroia, or Schoop. I guess if you're good on power and are in greater need of SBs, then I can understand taking him...but that would be the only reason. 

I own Peraza and like him quite a bit...was super excited to see Phillips finally allow a trade. But I don't believe he's a superstar in the making. I hope he is...I'd love to be wrong. But I don't see it. 

3 hours ago, midlip said:

For me he is.  He plays 2B/SS/OF in Yahoo leagues this season and could steal around 40 bases while hitting for high average (.300+) and scoring lots of runs.  I can get power almost anywhere in my leagues.  Speed, not so much.  Speed is getting harder and harder to find and half the speed guys seem to just be platoon-type players. 

Kipnis would be the pick normally but his injury is very worrisome this spring.  I have a bad feeling about it.   Pedroia won't get you steals; runs and average yes but Peraza will get you those too with the steals thrown in big time.  Schoop is all power and no steals and bad average and can be inconsistent as well.  And again, power is easy to find at other positions.  Travis is always getting hurt.  I mean always.  If there is a banana peel in the clubhouse he is guaranteed to be the player that slips on it.   And none of these four can play in three positions for my teams this season.

In the end it is getting the player best to build your team with.  Not individual players.  You need a balanced team and Peraza gives you the steals and runs along with the average to offset some flatfooted power guy with a below so-so batting average.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

For me he is.  He plays 2B/SS/OF in Yahoo leagues this season and could steal around 40 bases while hitting for high average (.300+) and scoring lots of runs.  I can get power almost anywhere in my leagues.  Speed, not so much.  Speed is getting harder and harder to find and half the speed guys seem to just be platoon-type players. 

Kipnis would be the pick normally but his injury is very worrisome this spring.  I have a bad feeling about it.   Pedroia won't get you steals; runs and average yes but Peraza will get you those too with the steals thrown in big time.  Schoop is all power and no steals and bad average and can be inconsistent as well.  And again, power is easy to find at other positions.  Travis is always getting hurt.  I mean always.  If there is a banana peel in the clubhouse he is guaranteed to be the player that slips on it.   And none of these four can play in three positions for my teams this season.

In the end it is getting the player best to build your team with.  Not individual players.  You need a balanced team and Peraza gives you the steals and runs along with the average to offset some flatfooted power guy with a below so-so batting average.

Couldn't agree more 

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

This is a great post IMO but I want those in OBP leagues to keep in mind he is going to be below average there as he doesn't walk much at all with a 2.7% in 256 PA last year and a 3.5% in 2015 when he had 427 PA.

1 hour ago, tonguetied89 said:

This is a great post IMO but I want those in OBP leagues to keep in mind he is going to be below average there as he doesn't walk much at all with a 2.7% in 256 PA last year and a 3.5% in 2015 when he had 427 PA.

Maybe but keep in mind that elite base-stealers usually don't walk much because pitchers don't want to let them on base.  It usually goes with the territory and is made up for by your other players in your team build.

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Maybe but keep in mind that elite base-stealers usually don't walk much because pitchers don't want to let them on base.  It usually goes with the territory and is made up for by your other players in your team build.

Well yeah, but regardless of why he is not getting walks...he is still not getting walks. Just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of that at least.

Yes, the SB's are high and are one of the more rare categories to find quality hitters that contribute there but not every team in every draft is going to be drafting Peraza to anchor their SB's. Some will be targeting other players to fill that void and some will take a look at their roster during the draft and realize they need someone with a strong OBP at SS, for example.

Edited by tonguetied89