Fuzzy_Slippers

David Price 2017 Outlook

To each their own.  I like doing some slow drafting in January & February in leagues like draft champions because I do find value later on in the draft and it gets me ready for my other leagues.  

I don't see any reason to have a live re-draft before March.  

6 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I don't really want to beat my "arch rival" because he drafted David Price in the 4/5 round yesterday. That's not skill and gives him a cop out.

A strong agree but especially this. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Well the more time you cut out of the fantasy baseball season (draft until final day) the less injuries  will effect your league. This is a fact. Yes, David Price could have been injured in the 1st game of the season. You're still minimizing the chances. 

I don't really want to beat my "arch rival" because he drafted David Price in the 4/5 round yesterday. That's not skill and gives him a cop out.

You think there are values in Jan/Feb that won't be there in late March. That is true. Some players creep up no doubt. However, there are different value picks available in late March.  There is no shortage on value picks.

You know there are  teams somewhere with Reyes and Price. 

The Paul Sporer/Jason Collette LABR team is absolutely cursed.  Every year they lose a significant player before the season even starts, it seems.  They didn't lose both Reyes and Price, but still.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

To each their own.  I like doing some slow drafting in January & February in leagues like draft champions because I do find value later on in the draft and it gets me ready for my other leagues.  

I don't see any reason to have a live re-draft before March.  

Using a draft to prep for other leagues? Sure.  Being bored in January? Sure. Both valid. Can't hate on that.

I compete in that same Draft Champions league with the slow drafts. I drafted pretty close to Opening Day. Won my league and placed very highly in the overall. Made some good $$.

Amazing how I did that without the incredible values of January!

Again, I don't deny there are values in January that you won't see in March. There are also values in March that you wouldn't be able to get in April/May.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

The Paul Sporer/Jason Collette LABR team is absolutely cursed.  Every year they lose a significant player before the season even starts, it seems.  They didn't lose both Reyes and Price, but still.

I didn't even think of that. I listen to Sporer all the time and I was hoping they drafted JV there. What a killer. 

Hopefully their Paxton pick pays off. 

I think it's safe to say that this time of year, draft dynamics change weekly. Whether it be due to injuries, hot spring training start, position battles, lineup placement comments, rotation battles, etc, guys are moving up and down very fluidly. I personally prefer doing the auction the weekend after the season starts, but a lot of that is league specific as it's a roto keeper, so stats aren't lost and minor league vs major league is established prior to the auction. 

As for Price, nothing concrete is known yet, but we've seen this movie too many times before to not know the odds of him having a good year aren't very good.

• Like 1

Hard to see this ending well at this point.

Price was kind of up and down last year and his fastball was down about a mile. But he still led baseball with 35 starts and struck out 228 hitters over 230 innings. It didn't seem like a major injury was on the verge of happening, assuming this news turns into Tommy John surgery. Maybe all the innings he has thrown in recent years are taking its toll, though.

As Price owner who had to declare keepers a few weeks ago, and whose draft is far enough along that I'm kinda screwed, this would hurt.

5 minutes ago, taobball said:

I didn't even think of that. I listen to Sporer all the time and I was hoping they drafted JV there. What a killer. 

Hopefully their Paxton pick pays off. 

I just wasn't on Price at all this year, and thought in that draft they were making a few mistakes:

1) forcing their pre-draft plan to the board instead of adapting when they had 4 or 5 of their targeted SPs on the board still at that pick (granted, 10 spots till they picked again or whatever).  They had stated before the draft that they were taking their ace SP in the 3rd round, and it seemed like come hell or high water, they did.  All three of their targets were still on the board, along with another 3-4 comparable pitchers who had higher ADPs, and 2 of the 5 teams picking after them already had taken an ace in the 2nd... I'd have absolutely waited another round

2) taking Price over JV -- I've owned Price in the past when he's great, and I owned him in Detroit when it seemed like Leyland would ALWAYS leave him in too long, but I wanted out last year when he went to Boston, and I sold everywhere.  I don't think LHP in Fenway Park work out very well... RHB already have the advantage on most LHPs, and in Fenway they've just gotta serve lazy fly balls off the Monster for doubles.  It's my same fear with Sale this year.

If it is bad news it will turn out to be good news for the trio that were battling for remaining two spots: Eduardo Rodriguez, Drew Pomeranz and Steven Wright.  Well until Dombrowski trades away Devers and Jason Groome for someone anyway.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

If it is bad news it will turn out to be good news for the trio that were battling for remaining two spots: Eduardo Rodriguez, Drew Pomeranz and Steven Wright.  Well until Dombrowski trades away Devers and Jason Groome for someone anyway.

I wondered about this... how quickly Dombrowski burned that prospect system for a replacement for Price.  Could get worse if the Hanley shoulder thing goes south too.

You know Hahn in Chicago is just waiting for that phone to ring about Quintana.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2017 at 4:14 PM, shakestreet said:

after almost all drafts I can assume he will be a #1 pitcher on a lot of teams

Hmmm...

2 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I wondered about this... how quickly Dombrowski burned that prospect system for a replacement for Price.  Could get worse if the Hanley shoulder thing goes south too.

You know Hahn in Chicago is just waiting for that phone to ring about Quintana.

Yeah I don't think Boston has the horses to get Quintana though.  Dombrowski can't really trade Devers because he has to get up quick and take Sandoval's place so if he traded him then he'd have to go out and find another 3B which wouldn't even make sense in Dombrowskiland.  But yeah he'd trade away Groome and one of the three Boston catchers (Zach Collins would probably not remain a catcher and come up earlier for the White Sox if that happened) and half the AAA to get Quintana no doubt.

I'd rather see one of the catchers go in a package to Seattle for someone like Ariel Miranda though.

Hey I guess I already assumed the worse for David Price which I guess I shouldn't.  Funny how that happens every time I see the words James + Andrews put together to form a full name though.

Now what do we do.  I'd rather them just kill him off now rather than deal with the negative suspense.  Just get it over with.

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Believe me, I completely understand your perspective and what you're saying, but that same issue could occur with your "arch rival" if Price had the same elbow issue after his first regular season start. It would give him the same "cop out".

I simply prefer being able to follow camp battles/prospect auditions/closer situations/etc. throughout Spring Training and having the maximum amount of flexibility to make meaningful moves before the season starts as an active manager. I completely understand and respect your perspective on it, I just prefer drafting early where available.

• Like 1

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Today is a sad day for me. Fantasy slant this puts Eddie Rodriguez firmly on the fantasy radar (he should have always been considered their #4 regardless, with Pom out of the pen). For Price, while nothing is official, we can likely right him off until June-ish of 2018. 

Saw where he's flying to the NFL Combine to get checked out.  Not everyone who goes to Dr. Andrews and has an MRI gets TJS, but the fact that they're are sending him to the combine probably indicates that this isn't precautionary.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Saw where he's flying to the NFL Combine to get checked out.  Not everyone who goes to Dr. Andrews and has an MRI gets TJS, but the fact that they're are sending him to the combine probably indicates that this isn't precautionary.  

Sure but the percentage chance of TJS or long rehab is pretty high for anyone going to Andrews... Farrell calling it serious concern... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, taobball said:

Sure but the percentage chance of TJS or long rehab is pretty high for anyone going to Andrews... Farrell calling it serious concern... 

Agreed - plus, the report indicated he was going to seek a "second opinion". That always means the first opinion was a pretty bad one.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Using a draft to prep for other leagues? Sure.  Being bored in January? Sure. Both valid. Can't hate on that.

I compete in that same Draft Champions league with the slow drafts. I drafted pretty close to Opening Day. Won my league and placed very highly in the overall. Made some good $$.

Amazing how I did that without the incredible values of January!

Again, I don't deny there are values in January that you won't see in March. There are also values in March that you wouldn't be able to get in April/May.  

Kind of getting a little off topic here from ole David Price...but the top 15 DC Overall last year drafts began on...

1.  Jan 19

2.  Nov 27

3.  Feb 09

4.  Mar 12

5.  Jan 09

6.  Mar 11

7.  Feb 16

8.  Dec 06

9.  Mar 11

10.  Jan 24

11.  Feb 03

12.  Jan 13 (same guy as 11)

13.  Nov 27

14.  Feb 12

15.  Mar 5

So that's 4 out of 15 that began after March 1st.  I know some people who are good at this game that don't even wake up until February.  Someone like you who does this year round would kill it in a December draft.  ...but to your point you'd have to get lucky and avoid the big injury.  If Price is done, that comes out of left field.  If this was like Tanaka or Harvey, you knew an injury could happen when you drafted and that was built into their draft price/position.  

Edited by kidtwentytwo
  • Like 1

Farrell said Price has dealt with similar issues in previous spring trainings, but he reported more intense discomfort than usual.

"He feels improved today over yesterday, so that's an encouraging sign," Farrell told reporters. "But still, we have to take every step along the way to get our arms around this in its entirety."

Only positive I have found through this mess.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18805460/boston-red-sox-left-hander-david-price-get-second-opinion-sore-elbow

They played a bit from Farrell's interview on sirius...they say it's coming on at 4:00est on MLB radio (now).

He certainly didn't have the tone of someone who just lost their SP1

13 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

They played a bit from Farrell's interview on sirius...they say it's coming on at 4:00est on MLB radio (now).

He certainly didn't have the tone of someone who just lost their SP1

Dombrowski was trying to stop the panic attack too earlier but then he was the one that signed the guy forever ... or seven year, whatever comes first, hah.  But adding that they were sending him to the NFL Combine to see Doc Andrews with the "hope" that they could "fit Price in" there instead of waiting a few days says tons.