Fuzzy_Slippers

David Price 2017 Outlook

How do you guys feel about big Price this season? Comfortable with him as your #2 for fantasy? Just the fact that he throws so many innings already gives him good value. 

I'm confident in him as my no. 2 this year, but i agree with shakestreet, he will probably be most teams Ace. 

It's not like he was terrible last year. He had a handful of terrible starts. I mean really awful. 

3.2 IP 8 ER on April 21

4.2 IP 6 ER on May 7

2.1 IP 6 ER on June 24

Those were his worst. He also had a couple of 5 IP 5-6 ER games. These starts did his ratios no favors, but he still managed to finish the year with a win-loss record of 17-9. This could have been better too because he took the loss in a few 8 IP gems where the offense failed to show up.

Not trying to cherry pick his games but just wanted to point out that he was still pretty solid last year, just when he was off he had us pulling our hair out.

I am a firm believer that he had some mechanical issues halfway through the year and once he made the adjustment he faired pretty well.

Still think he's a #1. Love the strikeouts and low walk rate. Huge fan of his defense and he'll throw 220ip again. The guy is a horse and a true pro. Should be in line for a good amount of wins too. 

1 hour ago, SwayzeExpress said:

I am a firm believer that he had some mechanical issues halfway through the year and once he made the adjustment he faired pretty well.

18 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

This is exactly what I was talking about. Thanks to @mysonx3 for providing the article.

I was waiting for the David Price 2017 thread:)

Look the fact remains his career road ERA  was roughly 3.40 before moving out of Tampa.  Then he goes to an excellent hitter's park in Boston.  So of course his ERA is going to climb.

His FIP finished up at 3.60 due to an extremely large number of HRs allowed.  I don't see the HRs falling off that much.

Did he "correct" a problem?  he still had a pretty rough September.  And even in August, he gave up 6 Hrs in 40 innings which really isn't so great.

You can expect lots of wins from a pretty good Red Sox team and a K per inning with an ERA probably in the mid to high 3's.  Is that what you want from your number 1 pitcher? 

Edited by KingJoffrey
  • Like 1

Had him last year and he was ok. Probably not looking at him unless it's with a value pick. He was nice to have when he was pumping his fastball at 96 consistently. Now it's more like 92-93 on a good day with him liable to get rocked bad on days. King Joffrey pretty much has Price nailed.

i wouldn't have a problem with him as a back end top 10/12 guy. SP1 for me still, but I'd have to think. Round 5 would be awesome to get him in. Round 4 still ok.  Better in standard or leagues that count Wins. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheBoatmen said:

According to Jim Bowden Price is gettIng a second opinion and MRI with a sore right elbow.  Not a good sign.  

Well, he is a lefty...

... but unfortunately, it's his left elbow.

• Like 2

sonofamuthascruncker!!!

Price is my Ace in 2 deep keepers and we had to turn in keepers yesterday

8 minutes ago, Mean Dean said:

Well, he is a lefty...

... but unfortunately, it's his left elbow.

Whoops, I guess I am just used to sore right elbows, not sure why I wrote right.  I saw an interesting comment on MLB Trade rumours. If Price is known for his perfect mechanics is anybody prone to TJS?

As usual, props to all the leagues that have already drafted and the people who defend them by saying "you get values that you can't get closer to Opening Day"

/s

• Like 8

Surprised.  Price doesn't throw that hard any more.  Doesn't throw that many breaking balls either.

12 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

As usual, props to all the leagues that have already drafted and the people who defend them by saying "you get values that you can't get closer to Opening Day"

/s

Injuries can happen at any time though - he could feel the elbow soreness after his first regular season start and obviously no one would say "See, that's why you should wait to draft until week #2".

Plus, it's totally random, an arch rival could be the one who has Price, in which case you're glad you drafted early. I honestly prefer the benefits of drafting early over the injury drawbacks. That's totally cool that you disagree, we just see it differently.

Edited by Dark One
  • Like 2

*elmer fudd grumbles*

Hoping he's healthy, but literally yesterday I thought about moving him over Archer in my rankings because of feeling more comfortable and 'safe'. Welp. That's pitching for you. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Injuries can happen at any time though - he could feel the elbow soreness after his first regular season start and obviously no one would say "See, that's why you should wait to draft until week #2".

Plus, it's totally random, an arch rival could be the one who has Price, in which case you're glad you drafted early. I honestly prefer the benefits of drafting early over the injury drawbacks. That's totally cool that you disagree, we just see it differently.

Well the more time you cut out of the fantasy baseball season (draft until final day) the less injuries  will effect your league. This is a fact. Yes, David Price could have been injured in the 1st game of the season. You're still minimizing the chances. 

I don't really want to beat my "arch rival" because he drafted David Price in the 4/5 round yesterday. That's not skill and gives him a cop out.

You think there are values in Jan/Feb that won't be there in late March. That is true. Some players creep up no doubt. However, there are different value picks available in late March.  There is no shortage on value picks.

You know there are  teams somewhere with Reyes and Price. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 3