Homerj24

Joey Votto 2017 Outlook

So did he forget how to hit? He looks terrible at the plate. I've never seen a hitter take as many straight fastballs as votto in the last week

Edited by Mickey Donovan

2 minutes ago, Mickey Donovan said:

So did he forget how to hit? He looks terrible at the plate. I've never seen a hitter take as man straight fastballs as vote in the last week

Yes.  Drop him.

Just now, Mickey Donovan said:

Great advice. Thanks for your deep insight

Was it a serious question?  WTF are you expecting when you ask if the best non-Trout hitter in baseball forgot how to hit because he's had a bad week?  

Joey just hates Do...he's notoriously stubborn like that

He's just such a weird player 

Edited by mevins31

14 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

He's just such a weird player 

I can't remember the last time I watch an at bat of his when he didn't get 2 strikes. He is watching pitches go right down the middle. Never seen a pro hitter do this as much as him.  His career is littered with stretches like this. I wonder if he just get bored and tries different approaches. I mean, he does play for the Reds...

Edited by Mickey Donovan

the fact that people are remotely complaining about joey votto is mind boggling to me

Yep.  He's done.  Just drop him.

24 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Yep.  He's done.  Just drop him.

Yeah, why would anyone want to discuss a players performance on players message board? 

My guess is none of you have watched his at-bats in the past 2 weeks. If you had, you might want to discuss what he is doing differently. But apparently this is not the place to discuss Joey Votto. 

30 minutes ago, HalfManHalfAmazing said:

is this guy washed up already at this point of his career?

No, he goes through periods like this where it appears he has a different approach. He is taking everything right now. He's done it before and it gets frustrating.  Don't know how long this stretch will last, hopefully he comes out of it tomorrow. 

I've watched it - and I happen to agree with you about these...experimental periods.  He looks slow and tired to me.  Announcers were saying he needs a day off - it would be his first.  Travel schedules and the like may have discombobulated him.  I can buy that.

He also made a very uncharacteristic error running on the basepaths today - he is likely dealing with some mental fatigue as well, for such a cerebral player.

Edited by BMcP

15 hours ago, Mickey Donovan said:

No, he goes through periods like this where it appears he has a different approach. He is taking everything right now. He's done it before and it gets frustrating.  Don't know how long this stretch will last, hopefully he comes out of it tomorrow. 

This. Votto had a whole month I think it was last year where he expanded his zone and just started swinging at everything. He told a reporter he was doing it on purpose. He gets bored/wants to experiment with different things. It's part of what makes him great. Or it could just be a bad week. Everyone has them. I don't know about you guys, but he's my 2nd round pick and is a top 10 player in my league, so I'm not complaining.

15 hours ago, BMcP said:

I've watched it - and I happen to agree with you about these...experimental periods.  He looks slow and tired to me.  Announcers were saying he needs a day off - it would be his first.  Travel schedules and the like may have discombobulated him.  I can buy that.

He also made a very uncharacteristic error running on the basepaths today - he is likely dealing with some mental fatigue as well, for such a cerebral player.

I buy that also, not easy playing in the heat of Cincinnati every day.  I also wonder if playing for a perennial "also ran" has an effect on him. He is such a good player that i wonder if he ever gets bored. 

On 7/23/2017 at 3:41 PM, Mickey Donovan said:

I can't remember the last time I watch an at bat of his when he didn't get 2 strikes. He is watching pitches go right down the middle. Never seen a pro hitter do this as much as him.  His career is littered with stretches like this. I wonder if he just get bored and tries different approaches. I mean, he does play for the Reds...

He definitely gets bored with the game and tries weird and quirky styles and strategies. Choking up, trying to hit it this way or that way, constantly tweaking and refining. He is too weird and smart for his own good. 

Well, I am going to give him a few days to clear his head, on my bench. Probably won't help him tho ?

He is great and all, but he is in a very tough stretch - batting .143 with 1 RBI and all 0s over the last 2 weeks. In a daily transactions league, is it crazy to sit him for someone like Smoak? I don't think so. As soon as he has a decent day he'll go right back into the lineup. 

"Joey Votto made an out" - the score app update 4 times a night since he's been on my team the last month 

5 minutes ago, HalfManHalfAmazing said:

is this guy's career finished?

IKR? Buncha drama queens up in here.

I blame mevins who didn't draft nor believe in Votto in the Spring like the rest of us did but, rather, traded for him because of the spectacular season he is having and now whines because Joey is "weird" and in a rut and hurting his team.....waaahhh!!!!

6 minutes ago, Hangry Bird said:

IKR? Buncha drama queens up in here.

I blame mevins who didn't draft nor believe in Votto in the Spring like the rest of us did but, rather, traded for him because of the spectacular season he is having and now whines because Joey is "weird" and in a rut and hurting his team.....waaahhh!!!!

I mean youre right. on the team he's on I've gotten the worst parts of every player. He is weird; I have been watching him almost nightly since his debut. He's really probably the weirdest guy in baseball mentally. Probably bored with success and tinkering until the point he's doing something that isn't working. Obviously is going to be the tale of two halves for him because once he slumps it is long and excruciating because he's one of the biggest head cases in baseball. 

Just kidding melvin. I've got Smoak and EE so I might just try shipping weird pretty boy for an ace if he keeps this up.....2 weeks ago he was Vottomatic, come back Vottomatic!!!!  Maybe I got that from Razzball?  GL