Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChasinDatPaper

Dallas Cowboys 2017 Season Outlook

472 posts in this topic

Romo is as good as gone.   Dak's job is not in question here heading into 17'.     This season, and even last night, Dak has proven he's going to be able to lead this team offensively.  This Cowboys team was probably in this situation one year too early.  I expect them to be solid again next year.  I hope they draft all defense in March.

Romo will prob come up with a short list of teams he desires.  The Cowboys will then give those teams  a call to see if anything can be agreed upon.  Im not sure what the market will be for Tony but he will be in a different uniform next season

this season was a fun unexpected ride for us Cowboy fans.  Hope for better days ahead in the coming seasons.  I've been holding my breath for a few years now knowing Tony's days were numbered.  Seeing that they lucked into Dak sure makes the months ahead far greater.  There are teams that have searched for decades to find a starting QB.  Cowboys lucked into one in the fourth round. Icing on the cake with Zeke running the ball.  

Invest wisely in the defense Cowboys.

2 people like this

Cowboys are strapped by Romo's contract. It limits them from upgrading the rest of the roster. They need to release him or unload him.

5 minutes ago, devaster said:

Cowboys are strapped by Romo's contract. It limits them from upgrading the rest of the roster. They need to release him or unload him.

and they will, one way or another.  THE Dumbest thing would be to roster him as a back up at his current cost

No one is going to take Romo with his injury history +contract. It's the contract that has to be restructured  if he goes somewhere else.

Only 2 plug and playoff ready teams he can go are Bills and denver but the question is do they only want a guy who has maybe 3yrs left IF he stays healthy?

Would Denver make that Peyton type gamble again?

DL, CB, LB should be priority for the Cowboys offseason plans.  They need to hit the draft hard at these spots and maybe try and hit on a few bargain buys in FA's.

They need a right side edge rushers BAD.  That way (if healthy) Lawrence can move back to the left side where he's more effective 

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

No one is going to take Romo with his injury history +contract. It's the contract that has to be restructured  if he goes somewhere else.

Only 2 plug and playoff ready teams he can go are Bills and denver but the question is do they only want a guy who has maybe 3yrs left IF he stays healthy?

Would Denver make that Peyton type gamble again?

there is no doubt it will have to be restructured.  Rumor i've read is Denver is Romo's ideal destination.  I've also read though they may not have the same interest given the two young guns they want to work with.

its hard to think who all could be in play for Romo right now.  Too early overall 

Maybe romo goes to texans? but that would be weird to see him playing in the state of texas and not in a Dallas uniform

9 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Maybe romo goes to texans? but that would be weird to see him playing in the state of texas and not in a Dallas uniform

I've heard this kicked around too.  Can they get out from under Brock's contract?

flip flop Tony for Brock to be the Cowboys back up? LOL   how brutal would that be yikes 

Edited by BlakeP42

25 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

and they will, one way or another.  THE Dumbest thing would be to roster him as a back up at his current cost

They can't drop him with his cap hit for another year I thought?  From a cap persepctive, it's cheaper to keep him than cut him.  

Regardless, Dak is the guy.  He proved it all season, and just lead a 3 score comeback attempt last night before the defense giving up a last second field goal to break the tie.  

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, jbshaw said:

They can't drop him with his cap hit for another year I thought?  From a cap persepctive, it's cheaper to keep him than cut him.  

Regardless, Dak is the guy.  He proved it all season, and just lead a 3 score comeback attempt last night before the defense giving up a last second field goal to break the tie.  

i'd have to look at the details again of Romo's contract but i think thats correct.  From my understanding though the Cowboys have no intention of releasing or cutting Romo.  I think no matter what his deal should be restructured in the best attempt to move him.  Most importantly Romo's made it pretty clear he does not want to be a back up QB.  He wants the chance to start or compete to start in 17'.  He simply will not have that ability in Dallas now.  One way or another Tony should be elsewhere to start 2017  

I think we see a QB desperate team take on Romo eventually.

Denver has seemed like the ideal fit because they are a win-now team where QB is really the only position where, when healthy, they are lacking. The team has overhauled the coaching staff so obviously a lot hinges on what Joseph, McCoy and Musgrave think of Simien/Lynch. IF they view them as legitimate options going forward, then makes sense to just stick with that. IF not, well then obviously Romo is in play.

I hadn't really thought about the Texans until it was brought up here. They make sense as well. Great defense. Solid running game. Strong weapons in the passing game. Shaky QB situation. The team was fine benching Brock this season so I don't see them having a problem with it next season if they can get a clear upgrade, which a healthy Romo is (and IMO Savage isn't). With O'Brien seemingly on the hot seat, this is the type of win-now move I can see being done to save his job.

1 person likes this

If indeed it’s time for Romo to start over, it will most likely come with them trading him to another team.  Here’s how things break down for salary cap purposes if Dallas chooses to go this route.

Because of how NFL salary cap accounting works, the financial ramifications of trading Romo, him retiring or the team choosing to cut him are aligned in most ways.

Starting in 2017, Romo has three years remaining on his contract. That includes the base salaries for all three years, as well as prorated signing bonus amounts which count towards the cap in each of those years

2017: Base 14 mil    Prorated SB 10.7 mil   24.7 cap hit

2018:  Base 19.5 mil  Prorated SB 5.7 mil  Cap Hit 25.2mil

2019:  Base 20.5 mil  Prorated SB 3.2 mil  Cap Hit 23.7 mil

Base salaries are what gets traded with a player. Prorated signing bonuses do not. As base salaries are obviously not paid to retired or released players, the important parts to the Cowboys cap here are the prorated amounts on each of the years remaining.

Romo is scheduled to count $24.7 million against the 2017 cap, it’s already earmarked. That includes his base salary of $14 million, which would be traded away, and his prorated signing/restructure bonuses that count for another $10.7 million. That would stay with the Cowboys after a trade.

What also would stay with the Cowboys are the prorated bonus amounts for 2018 and 2019. Those total an additional $8.9 million.

This means Romo has $19.6 million remaining of unamortized signing bonus. If he is traded or retires, that would accelerate onto the 2017 ledger, meaning the Cowboys would save $5.1 million of space on next year’s cap from what they are “expected” to carry currently.

That would also clear up $25.2 million of 2018 space that is currently earmarked for Romo, and $23.7 million of similar 2019 space.

Financially speaking, that flexibility would be a boon for the Cowboys. Teams can sign free agents for low first-year costs with increasing salaries as the deal goes on.

ARLINGTON, TX - JANUARY 04: Tony Romo #9 of the Dallas Cowboys celebrates during a NFC Wild Card Playoff game against the Detroit Lions at AT&T Stadium on January 4, 2015 in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Sarah Glenn/Getty Images)

A team trading for Romo could certainly look to work out a new deal with Romo. His injury concerns are real, and even without the prorated bonuses as a contract albatross, a team would basically guarantee a full-year’s salary if Romo was on the active roster on Week 1. That could interfere with Dallas’ ability to make a trade.

If no trade can be made,there is also a possibility Romo could allow the club to release him as what was formerly known as a June 1st cap casualty. If that were the case, then only the 2017 prorated bonus amount ($10.7 million) would hit the cap , giving Dallas the savings of Romo’s entire 2017 base salary, $14 million.

If that were the case, then the $8.9 million prorated amounts for 2018 and 2019 would then be on the 2018 salary cap as dead money.

That would mean the Cowboys would save $10.6 million on the 2018 cap, and still the same $23.7 million in 2019 space.

If someone looks at future years as parts of the salary cap that are already accounted for, then these are savings. If someone looks at each year individually, then the dead money that would be on the books would be looked at as a negative.

Edited by BlakeP42

@psygolf

what you think the Bears do with Cutler?   You think they would have any interest in Romo?

14 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

@psygolf

what you think the Bears do with Cutler?   You think they would have any interest in Romo?

No reason for anyone to grab Romo unless he is the last missing piece... +  Cutler is cheaper injury risk than Romo.  

They will probably target a guy like Taylor, if they decide not to take a QB with their 1st.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, psygolf said:

No reason for anyone to grab Romo unless he is the last missing piece... +  Cutler is cheaper injury risk than Romo.  

They will probably target a guy like Taylor, if they decide not to take a QB with their 1st.

Cutler was $19 million dead cap space while making $17 million last season. Keeping him was cheaper than cutting him.

This year, he is only a $2 million dead cap hit.  The team has wanted to bail on him since he signed his overpriced contract. 

Hoyer is not a bad QB.  If he can come back healthy, definitely resign him.  Look at TT for some competition while considering draft options.  Chip Kelley and Rex Ryan are the only guys who want TT, but they don't have jobs.

Romo is $19.6 million dead cap in 2017 and $8.9 the following season.  Dallas is already $11 million over the 2017 cap.  They can pay him a huge restructuring bonus to free up cap space, but he's a hurt backup at this point in his career.  Good for maybe 3-4 games because he doesn't drink enough milk.  LOL  

2 hours ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

Romo stays in Dallas? Dak still the starter next yr? Alot of questions this offseason.

Theres no scenario short of his death that Dak isn't the Cowboys starter next year.

1 person likes this

53 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Ive seen them considering both Trubiski and Kizer. What do you think of that?

4 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Ive seen them considering both Trubiski and Kizer. What do you think of that?

I have not really proactively watched any college QB except Watson.   Do you not like him?

Their wrs corps are a mess, with or without Alshon, and there's very little out there in FA to change that.

56 minutes ago, jmausen said:

Cutler was $19 million dead cap space while making $17 million last season. Keeping him was cheaper than cutting him.

This year, he is only a $2 million dead cap hit.  The team has wanted to bail on him since he signed his overpriced contract. 

Hoyer is not a bad QB.  If he can come back healthy, definitely resign him.  Look at TT for some competition while considering draft options.  Chip Kelley and Rex Ryan are the only guys who want TT, but they don't have jobs.

Romo is $19.6 million dead cap in 2017 and $8.9 the following season.  Dallas is already $11 million over the 2017 cap.  They can pay him a huge restructuring bonus to free up cap space, but he's a hurt backup at this point in his career.  Good for maybe 3-4 games because he doesn't drink enough milk.  LOL  

That was my point, no sense in Romo...or Cutler, for a team that was 3-13

13 minutes ago, psygolf said:

I have not really proactively watched any college QB except Watson.   Do you not like him?

Their wrs corps are a mess, with or without Alshon, and there's very little out there in FA to change that.

Ive seen Trubiski and Kizer quite a bit and am not in love with either. I think both needed another year in school. Neither is ready to step in and play NFL football. I do like Watson but not enough to pick him at three.

1 minute ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

This is probably not gonna happen, but what if Jags take a chance on Romo?

it is an interesting thought.  Seeing that Chip Kelly could land that OC job throws a curve in there.  I can't see Romo and Kelly working.  They prob aren't ready to give up on Bortles yet either.   I do like the idea of Romo in that offense though.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

This is probably not gonna happen, but what if Jags take a chance on Romo?

Interesting, but as golf said I can't see a three win team taking a chance on a guy with that injury history and salary. I mean best case scenario maybe he gets you to .500 for a season or two. 

2 hours ago, petekrum said:

Theres no scenario short of his death that Dak isn't the Cowboys starter next year.

Here's one. Dak gets hurt in the preseason and Romo puts up top 5 #'s through 6-8 weeks.  Same situation that got Dak the job but in reverse.