Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChasinDatPaper

Dallas Cowboys 2017 Season Outlook

472 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

"I take most of what i read with a grain of salt anyway, i prefer to try to watch and form my own opinion. Just watching King's tape he barely gets safety help. ... He's usually man to man on his guy, and the coverage is impressive for someone his size. ... He's usually always in position, he RARELY gets beaten deep. His size is evident especially on his INTs when qbs are trying to get it over him. Closing speed was evident for his utah INT(or just watching his INT highlight tape). I'm in the camp that this secondary was good because of King and Jones, not the help they received. It allowed Washington to play around with blitzes and coverage alot more. I watched alot of Budda too and he was in the box or covering slot so much he was arguably a slot corner.

... potential wise you can see it all there. He's got the prototypical tools you want."

After watching many of the same games, I think I know what the Seahawks see in him. I think you're right, he nailed the interviews, so they know his head is right. But it's his size they covet and he's in excellent physical condition. Meaning, he's in one piece & not all dinged up. He may not look like he has the upper body definition, but that can be deceiving with players that have arms that long. In the NFL, strength or power is converted through the hands & I think that's where the knock on his level of physicality might stem from. Good sink, smooth backpedal. 

King is local & fits their cover 3 scheme, covering the outside third in the intermediate & deep sections of the field. So when speed & change of direction on the wing pushes him downfield & then looks to run him across, he's not responsible for that guy anymore. Almost always opens his hips immediately & to the inside, looking to play the ball, not the man, using the boundary as his help. Teams won't fare that well attacking his inside shoulder with that back-shoulder stuff. Appeared very effective at keeping the rec'r on his outside hip. Does he know where the receiver is at all times?

Okay, so perhaps he's saved himself for this moment. He'd better start tackling like his job depends on it, because he's horrible! This guy is shoestring charlie, almost always going for the ankles but then, often fails to even wrap up. In the Arizona St game, the receiver King often lined up against, N'Keal Harry, was a freshman & there was often help over the top. King had that nice one-handed INT in the end zone but they successfully made plays against him. His technique, to often afford the receiver his outside shoulder, the boundary, will be tested in the NFL.

For me, it's always important to consider the level of play of the opposition, which is often a concern found in scouting reports of players from small school programs. Here, in that Colorado game, I wasn't impressed with WR Bryce Bobo or the QB. And that was a very good defense he played on, the opposing QB was often pressured, running for his life or getting sacked! I didn't come across a play that spoke to King's change of direction, but his gait is that of a long-strider. He's going to be a good player at the next level, no doubt. But with the 28th pick, I'd like to think I can find a guy that can do more than cover the outside third of the field and not tackle at all.         

2 people like this

47 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

. But with the 28th pick, I'd like to think I can find a guy that can do more than cover the outside third of the field and not tackle at all.         

Good take, i think variance in which games we watched will draw a different picture. I may have to watch this arizona game. He may be a cover 3 scheme type guy at the next level, but he certainly wasnt always used that way with washington. Id personally like to think his potential is much more then that of a richard sherman-esque/cover one side of the field type player from what ive seen on tape.

The tackling is definitely an issue. Comes down more to technique to me, as you stated as well. Hes a shoulder tackler, often trying to go low and no wrap up. The only good thing i saw ocassionally was his awareness. He seems to be in position to make the tackle, and reads the play correctly, just cant come through with the wrap up. Reminds me of trae waynes.

I think you may just hold a higher standard for the 28th overall pick then i do. Its damn near impossible to get the complete package, especially at CB, with the 28th pick. But i see the potential, and i agree i think he will be very good at the next level, i personally think he would be a fine late 1st/early 2nd pick.

1 person likes this

The first four picks in this draft should all be defensive players.

And great Ds are built up front. 

My choices would be:

First round - Willis or Watt.  Slight preference for Willis due to a cleaner health history.

Second round - Rivers

3rd and 4th - DBs

2 people like this

6 hours ago, 96mnc said:

The first four picks in this draft should all be defensive players. And great Ds are built up front. 

My choices would be:

First round - Willis or Watt.  Slight preference for Willis due to a cleaner health history.

Second round - Rivers

3rd and 4th - DBs

I want to send you money! e; For me though, Watt is a one-year guy who transitioned & Rivers production was against inferior competition. Willis I like a lot but unless I'm underrating again, he'll be there in the 2nd rd, I'm thinking maybe even the 3rd. Of the team's 30 prospects that they've brought in for a visit, only two of them play on offense ( JuJu Smith-Schuster & Curtis Samuel). So you're right, they're thinking defense & considering the players they've checked out, early. 

1 person likes this

Somebody like Reddick or Humphrey could slip to them, I have a feeling it's going to be a bizarre draft this year.

If Watt is the best thing on the board in the 1st, they might as well trade down with a team looking to get 1 of the top 4 QBs

2 hours ago, markrc99 said:

I want to send you money! e; For me though, Watt is a one-year guy who transitioned & Rivers production was against inferior competition. Willis I like a lot but unless I'm underrating again, he'll be there in the 2nd rd, I'm thinking maybe even the 3rd. Of the team's 30 prospects that they've brought in for a visit, only two of them play on offense ( JuJu Smith-Schuster & Curtis Samuel). So you're right, they're thinking defense & considering the players they've checked out, early. 

Willis reminds me of Ogbah from last year's draft.  He was highly productive in college and has high end athleticism.  Pick 28 is fine imo for a player like that. 

Rivers - also has the production and athleticism.  Yes,  it was small school competition but in the second round I don't mind the "risk".  I thought both played well in the Senior Bowl.

Watt - man,  he's such an interesting prospect.  Top end athleticism but was only productive for one year due to injuries.  But in that one year he was really good.   My biggest concern with him,  other than the injury history, is he'd best best be deployed moving all over the front and I haven't seen that level of creativity from Marinelli.

1 person likes this

"The Cowboys will host the Giants in the first Sunday night game of the season on Sept. 10."

Lets Fing GO!!!  So predictable though :D

1 person likes this

50 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

"The Cowboys will host the Giants in the first Sunday night game of the season on Sept. 10."

Lets Fing GO!!!  So predictable though :D

Yup...another chance for Dak, Zeke and Dez to be shut down AGAIN 😁

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Yup...another chance for Dak, Zeke and Dez to be shut down AGAIN 😁

haha, it very well could be.  Might be another chance to watch the further decline of your two time winning QB as well ;)

to be honest, its going to be an air raid by Odell and Marshall.

My FF mantra this year, if you got guys against the Cowboys, start em'

Edited by BlakeP42
1 person likes this

SEP 10

8:30PM ET

GIANTS

SEP 17

4:25PM ET

ATBRONCOS

SEP 25

ATCARDINALS

OCT 01

1:00PM ET

RAMS

OCT 08

PACKERS

BYE WEEK

OCT 22

4:05PM ET

AT49ERS

OCT 29

ATREDSKINS

NOV 05

CHIEFS

NOV 12

ATFALCONS

NOV 19

EAGLES

NOV 23

4:30PM ET

CHARGERS

NOV 30

8:25PM ET

REDSKINS

DEC 10

ATGIANTS

DEC 17

ATRAIDERS

DEC 24

SEAHAWKS

DEC 31

1:00PM ET

ATEAGLES

Giants, @Denver, @AZ, then GB before the bye. Yikes

The KC/ATL back to back should be tough

Primetime in Oak late in the year is a great one.

This schedule on paper is tough.  Its going to be critical for the Cowboys to find a way to get off to a good start before the bye.  From week 9 on down the schedule looks pretty hard overall.  

1 hour ago, BlakeP42 said:

Giants, @Denver, @AZ, then GB before the bye. Yikes

The KC/ATL back to back should be tough

Primetime in Oak late in the year is a great one.

This schedule on paper is tough.  Its going to be critical for the Cowboys to find a way to get off to a good start before the bye.  From week 9 on down the schedule looks pretty hard overall.  

I'm not too worried about OAK in the second half of the season, and I say this as a Giants fan whose team also faces them during that stretch. Carr has shown in 3 seasons his play dramatically tails off in Nov-Dec compared to earlier in the year. 

33 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

I'm not too worried about OAK in the second half of the season, and I say this as a Giants fan whose team also faces them during that stretch. Carr has shown in 3 seasons his play dramatically tails off in Nov-Dec compared to earlier in the year. 

it will be interesting to see where Carr is at with his progression as a player entering his 4th season.  I can't remember exactly when the finger injury occurred last year but i think it was the second half, then they had to employ the shotgun more.  I think that injury overall caused an adjustment to the offense that may not be necessary this season.  There is a lot of talent on both sides of the ball for Oak.  They are one of the more interesting teams to watch develop over the course of 17', IMO.

Edited by BlakeP42

1 hour ago, BlakeP42 said:

it will be interesting to see where Carr is at with his progression as a player entering his 4th season.  I can't remember exactly when the finger injury occurred last year but i think it was the second half, then they had to employ the shotgun more.  I think that injury overall caused an adjustment to the offense that may not be necessary this season.  There is a lot of talent on both sides of the ball for Oak.  They are one of the more interesting teams to watch develop over the course of 17', IMO.

He hasn't done it in cold weather even when 100%. Obviously the broken finger didn't help last year, but it's been a consistent trend with him. May mean OAK focuses more on the running game after Thanksgiving. 

38 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

May mean OAK focuses more on the running game after Thanksgiving. 

they gotta find one first, but i agree.  Going to be interesting to see if they finalize the Lynch deal and what they walk away from the draft with.  Wash/Richard won't cut in in December i can tell ya that much

On 4/20/2017 at 3:07 PM, BlakeP42 said:

haha, it very well could be.  Might be another chance to watch the further decline of your two time winning QB as well ;)

to be honest, its going to be an air raid by Odell and Marshall.

My FF mantra this year, if you got guys against the Cowboys, start em'

LOL

Eli's targets last year were ODB, a developing 2nd round pick, and "shredded chicken patellar tendon" Cruz.  No TE or running game.

This year, Eli has ODB, Marshall, and a tall quick developed slot receiver with probably the highest vertical in the entire NFL.  Again, their slot guy has mad ups!  They don't need a TE or want a running game.  Get Eli some help on the o-line, then good luck stopping them.

You're right about starting everyone against the Cowboys.  Their entire secondary left in free agency.  They need to trade mid-round picks for veteran D-backs.  STL and CLE come to mind.

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, jmausen said:

LOL

Eli's targets last year were ODB, a developing 2nd round pick, and "shredded chicken patellar tendon" Cruz.  No TE or running game.

This year, Eli has ODB, Marshall, and a tall quick developed slot receiver with probably the highest vertical in the entire NFL.  Again, their slot guy has mad ups!  They don't need a TE or want a running game.  Get Eli some help on the o-line, then good luck stopping them.

You're right about starting everyone against the Cowboys.  Their entire secondary left in free agency.  They need to trade mid-round picks for veteran D-backs.  STL and CLE come to mind.

just trading friendly jabs with the Eli comment more then anything.  Im well aware of the additions and subtractions for the Giants.  I expect them to be a good team in 17'.  There is no doubt their passing game will give problems to many defenses this year, if, as you said they shore up that OL to give Eli time.  The Marshall/Odell pairing is one of the more interesting things to watch imo

19 hours ago, jmausen said:

They don't need a TE or want a running game.

:blink:

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, jmausen said:

This year, Eli has ODB, Marshall, and a tall quick developed slot receiver with probably the highest vertical in the entire NFL.  Again, their slot guy has mad ups!  They don't need a TE or want a running game.  

LOL

Why wouldnt a team want a running game, or a solid TE? Having a solid presence back there could easily IMPROVE the passing game. That just logically makes no sense. Its not that they dont want it...they just didnt have it. They tried, but an average rookie, an old jennings and an injured vereen werent getting it done, especially behind that o line.

There are also many players in the nfl with higher vert then shepard, i mean that year ramsey beat him, a year before byron jones, ameer abdullah, jaelen strong - randoms like shazier, eric berry, virgil green.

Shepard is also like...5'10. Not tall by nfl wr standard at all. If anything, on the shorter side.

i saw this question on twitter and decided to ask the good people of our community:

Knowing what you know now, would you rather have drafted:

1. Ezekiel Elliott in the first round

2. Jalen Ramsey in the first round & Derrick Henry in the second round

11 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

i saw this question on twitter and decided to ask the good people of our community:

On 13/03/2017 at 6:57 PM, vikingapocalypse said:

Exposing womens breasts...visiting weed shops..under investigation...

Shoulda picked ramsey and henry

;)

I still believe fully till this day that wouldve been the better picks. Derrick henry would probably be a monster behind that line, and ramsey would make the secondary alot more promising going into this year.

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Since it looks like we get Smith this year, I'm tentatively saying Elliot + Smith. 

Just now, vikingapocalypse said:

I still believe fully till this day that wouldve been the better picks. Derrick henry would probably be a monster behind that line, and ramsey would make the secondary alot more promising going into this year.

Henry ran behind a very similar line and managed a full half yard per carry less than Zeke.  I also think Zeke has more potential in the passing game than Henry, but he hasn't been used that way so far this season, and has (to my eyes at least) far more acceleration with similar effective power to Henry. 

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, vikingapocalypse said:

The TEN OL was better than DAL last year (word to the wise while the media falsely hypes up DAL as the best OL).