einstein2u

Andrew Benintendi 2017 Outlook

441 posts in this topic

Rumblings kid could make a move to the #2 hole.  

Streamers;

.283/10 hr/13 sb/60 rbi/

i think there could be room for more.

10 hours ago, einstein2u said:

Streamers;

.283/10 hr/13 sb/60 rbi/

Even with only 10HR/13SB, if he knocks in 60RBI and scores 60+ himself that's real valuable in many leagues. Not great or anything, but solid if you ccan get him as an OF4/5 way late. But there is def room for more. I think he steals a little more vs the power.

I would think he'll hit more HRs in a full year, just from what I saw this past season in limited action.  I'd agree with einstein, I think he outproduces that projection.

13 hours ago, einstein2u said:

Streamers;

.283/10 hr/13 sb/60 rbi/

not happening .....

where are you putting Dustin Pedroia 

1 person likes this

I see Benindenti batting last in that lineup......unless during spring he is so freaking hot while other bats are dead cold then and only then do I believe the  Sox management makes any adjustments with that lineup

32 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

not happening .....

leadoff? that's how roster resource has it right now. sox don't really have a locked in leadoff guy. 

6 minutes ago, wily mo said:

leadoff? that's how roster resource has it right now. sox don't really have a locked in leadoff guy. 

Where would Pedroia play if Benidititiititititidititi plays 2nd is what he was asking.

13 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Where would Pedroia play if Benidititiititititidititi plays 2nd is what he was asking.

we're... talking about batting order here aren't we 

30 minutes ago, wily mo said:

we're... talking about batting order here aren't we 

Yeah, I'm an idiot. Oops, my b.

Just now, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Yeah, I'm an idiot. Oops, my b.

posting comes at all of us fast sometimes

but yeah, the sox lineup still has leon, sandoval, and moreland in it to hit near the bottom. benintendi at least has upside to be better than all of those guys (although they all have their own intrigue, to a greater or lesser extent), and he's probably not gonna be in the 3-4-5 either, so 2 with pedroia 1 makes a lot of sense 

1 person likes this

Good news is that even if he is near the bottom of the order or hitting 9th, its not like hitting at the bottom of an NL lineup, still should score runs, get some pitches to hit, etc.  

My guess though is that he will likely be overdrafted a bit...he is a mancrush type.  

2 people like this

I think the first full year will take adjustment, I can see 10-15hrs but I just don't know about the stolen bases. He got caught way too often in the minors and I could see the Sox reluctant to give away outs. With that said, he's in a terrific line up with plenty of protection. If he is batting 2nd he could easily get 80+ runs.

2 hours ago, wily mo said:

I never knew roster resource existed ... a lot of interesting stuff on the team pages.

thanks

3 hours ago, wily mo said:

Yeah I see them keeping Pedroia as lead-off right now but Benintendi could eventually end up there.  I like Pedroia, Benintendi, Betts in that order with Xander back further in the line-up instead of pushing Betts all the way back to 4th. 

But second is the guy that has to move the lead-off guy along and hit and run and take pitches and stuff like that so I don't know if Benintendi starts that high out of the gate given they don't want to throw too much at him at once.  So he might start back further to protect him and as the season goes on make a change and move him forward.  Especially when Xander goes into one of his terrible mega-slumps he seems to fall into once or twice every season now.

I agree in redraft leagues Benintendi will be taken before he should be even if he did cut his hair the end of last season and no longer challenges Dansby to a hair-down, heh.  He is still a hot young prospect now playing in the majors full time and, like Dansby, is overrated in the hitting dept.  Big prospect "names" seem to get stuck in the brains of some owners when they draft.  Happens all the time.  Next year both guys will settle in more to where they should be drafted and the next batch of hyped prospects-turned-major leaguers will get drafted too early.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

On 1/16/2017 at 7:18 PM, einstein2u said:

Streamers;

.283/10 hr/13 sb/60 rbi/

I'm for sure taking the over on 10 HRs.

Fangraphs blurb on player page - " RotoWire News: Benintendi might be Boston's No. 2 hitter, according to manager John Farrell, John Tomase of WEEI.com reports. "It's a possibility, there's no doubt," Farrell said. "He's got very good balance at the plate. He's got very good strike-zone understanding. He didn't give way against left-handers." (1/16/2017) "

Rotoworld blurb on player page - "Andrew Benintendi said Saturday that he packed on an extra 15-20 pounds over the offseason in an effort to stay healthy and strong over the grind of the 162 game MLB season.

Even with the added weight, the 22-year-old still checks in at a svelte 185 pounds. He's coming off of an impressive debut where he slashed .295/.359/.476 with a pair of homers, 14 RBI and a stolen base in 118 plate appearances. He's locked in as the club's Opening Day left fielder and has been rising up fantasy draft boards this winter. Jan 21 - 10:00 AM"

Sounds like he has a good shot at hitting #2 in that lineup and looks like he's added some strength in the off-season.  I've seen a lot of projections putting him under 500 AB's.  Sounds more and more like he could be a key cog in the lineup.  Still don't see anymore than 15 HR or 15 SB from him, but will have solid avg and runs and 60+ RBIs.

On 1/17/2017 at 9:20 AM, shakestreet said:

not happening .....

The better hitter will hit in the 2 hole.... If they are equal Dustin will get it.  Right now they are equal hitters, with Benintendi having far more upside.  So this very well could happen. 

Also note Benintnedi just got moved up to #1 prospect.

21 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

The better hitter will hit in the 2 hole.... If they are equal Dustin will get it.  Right now they are equal hitters, with Benintendi having far more upside.  So this very well could happen. 

Also note Benintnedi just got moved up to #1 prospect.

He's had 100 MLB ABs. You can't draw any substantial conclusions from such a small sample size, especially one that puts him on the same level as a guy who's been a really good MLB hitter for a decade now. 

1 person likes this

He'll be productive no matter where he hits.  It'll obviously bump him up if he hits 2nd but lineups change so much in the MLB.  If he starts out down in the lineup he can easily find himself near the top soon after.

Edited by MJDrocks

1 hour ago, absknicks said:

He's had 100 MLB ABs. You can't draw any substantial conclusions from such a small sample size, especially one that puts him on the same level as a guy who's been a really good MLB hitter for a decade now. 

Who said my conclusion was drawn from just 117 MLB PAs?  

The kid was the best college hitter in his draft class.  He's got 151 games in the minor leagues, none at rookie ball and most at Advanced A and beyond.  The whole point of fantasy is to see trends before they become known.  The kid has the draft pedigree, he's got the numbers in the minors, he's got the peripherals.  I've seen a ton of tape on him and it all looks great.

I said many times last year that Benintendi is one of the most translatable bats I've seen in a long time.  Yeah he's not going to be hitting 35 HRs, but he is already at least a .360 OBP guy to me with good extra base ability who can run very well (much better than Pedroia at this point in their careers).

Dustin is vastly over rated with name recognition compared to the numbers he's actually put up.  He has not been a "really good MLB hitter for a decade now".  He's been an above average to a good hitter for a decade.  He has an MVP sure, but it's probably the least deserving MVP of all time.  He's been on a steady decline the past few years up until last year when he saw a slight uptick in production.   I say this as a guy who actually likes Dustin Pedroia a lot.  

This year Pedroia may be the equal or slightly better hitter.  But in 2018 Benintendi will prove to be the far better hitter.  I have a feeling Benintendi ends up out hitting Pedroia this year too though.  It's the whole ceiling vs floor thing here.  Dustin's floor is slightly higher sure, but Benintendi's ceiling is vastly higher.  

3 people like this

Whatever it was drawn from, it's not enough to put him on level ground with Pedroia.

How many countless cases of guys who raked in college and the minors and seemed surefire bets for stardom have we seen that end up with the guy struggling at the MLB level and never really turning into the star he seemed destined to be?

I can tell you're high on Benintendi, and I think you're right to be (for many of the reasons you cited), but to already say he's an equal hitter of Dustin Pedroia is hyperbole and far too premature, IMO. There's a difference between promise/potential and track record, and often the promise/potential of young players doesn't translate into proficiency at the major league level.

3 people like this

The Red Sox nation guys and girls will be all over him come draft day. If you own him he's money in trade talks. Could very well help you get a player you are looking for if you include him in your trade talks. One of my leagues is loaded with Sox fans . And a couple of them have players I want. Its early but 3-4 weeks from now his value will climb. At least trying to get him from me.

I agree with what was said above. Yes it would be great if he hit at the top but even 7-8-9 he'll get lots of RBI chances and should score a bunch of runs. They say hitting is infectious . The Red Sox take lots of pitches and they hit. .265-.270-17 -65 looks pretty good to me.

3 hours ago, absknicks said:

Whatever it was drawn from, it's not enough to put him on level ground with Pedroia.

How many countless cases of guys who raked in college and the minors and seemed surefire bets for stardom have we seen that end up with the guy struggling at the MLB level and never really turning into the star he seemed destined to be?

I can tell you're high on Benintendi, and I think you're right to be (for many of the reasons you cited), but to already say he's an equal hitter of Dustin Pedroia is hyperbole and far too premature, IMO. There's a difference between promise/potential and track record, and often the promise/potential of young players doesn't translate into proficiency at the major league level.

Pedroia isn't as good as the clearly Boston biased ESPN tells you he is.  Yeah he's a scrappy player with a lot of heart and he broke the curse and has rings and an MVP.  But let's look at the facts:

Last year was the first time in 5 years that Dustin Pedroia OPSed over .797 yeah that's solid for a 2B.  But a "really good MLB hitter" no, not at all.  Let me point out that league average OPS for non pitchers over the last 5 years is about .732 and was .750 last year.  Well that's okay cause Dusty steals bases.... Yeah 52 in the last 5 years and 15 in the last 3 seasons.  So clearly those are trending down.  

I read trends and ride trends.  Track records are great and I'm all for them.  But you are acting like we are talking about Jose Altuve or something.  You realize Dustin Pedroia in the last 5 years has been equally as productive as Neil Walker??   Do you think Neil Walker is a better hitter than Andrew Benintendi?  You can't honestly be planning to draft Dustin Pedroia and Neil Walker over Benintendi.

I mean KB was going in the late first round last season .... His track record wasn't much more than Benintendi's.  Look at Trea Turner, look at Carlos Correa last year.... There's potential and there's track record.  Benintendi's potential is far greater than Dustin's misperceived track record and I honestly think Dustin has a lot of good baseball left in him and despite what you may think am a fan of Dustin Pedroia.