Coach George

Matt Manning - SP DET

Manning was the Tigers 1st round pick in 2016. The more I learn about this kid, the more I like. You have to treat these 18 year old high school arms a lot differently than the more experienced college guys, but Manning is loaded with upside and should be the top prospect in the Tigers organization.

46 Ks and only 7 BB in 29.1 innings of rookie ball last year. Manning is a great athlete with a really live arm...throws in the mid-90s with the potential for growth as his body matures.

I didn't include Manning in my top 100 list and that was a mistake.  After learning more about this kid, I would have definitely put him around #60 on my list. He has a long way to go and high school arms are always a gamble, but I like the potential here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coach George said:

Manning was the Tigers 1st round pick in 2016. The more I learn about this kid, the more I like. You have to treat these 18 year old high school arms a lot differently than the more experienced college guys, but Manning is loaded with upside and should be the top prospect in the Tigers organization.

46 Ks and only 7 BB in 29.1 innings of rookie ball last year. Manning is a great athlete with a really live arm...throws in the mid-90s with the potential for growth as his body matures.

I didn't include Manning in my top 100 list and that was a mistake.  After learning more about this kid, I would have definitely put him around #60 on my list. He has a long way to go and high school arms are always a gamble, but I like the potential here.

Agreed 100%.. I have him at #36 (removing guys that saw the bigs).. He has the perfect frame to add more weight = more velocity, already has 2 plus pitches, fantastic athlete (I believe he was committed to play NCAA basketball somewhere - could be totally off line though), the GCL #s are sick.. I realize it's only 29.1IP but 46/7 K/BB ratio.... for an 18 year old is absurd. 

I have Groome above him, but not by a whole lot.. Tigers got great value with this pick. 

Thanks for posting Coach. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

This dude went beast mode for his debut.

4 1/3IP 3H 1BB 9Ks

First real game of the year for him. Excellent. 

I had Groome 1A and Manning 1B out of the draft.  Mannings dad is an ex NBA player and he did grow about 3 inches since being drafted already.

1 hour ago, FouLLine said:

I had Groome 1A and Manning 1B out of the draft.  Mannings dad is an ex NBA player and he did grow about 3 inches since being drafted already.

So is Manning standing at about 6'9 now? If so that's a pretty large human! 

19 hours ago, JenksDodger said:

So is Manning standing at about 6'9 now? If so that's a pretty large human! 

No he went from 6'3" to 6'6" ... May have been 6'6" at the draft.  But his perfect game profile on the day of the draft read 6'3" it has been updated since to 6'6".

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2016/06/12/detroit-tigers-matt-manning-mlb-draft/85784932/

This article claims he's grown 9 inches since his Freshman year.  I remember during the draft reading in places that said he was 6'3" and was like he should be taller than that with a 6'11" father.

I'm not sure where he ranks among minor league starters. Probably close to top 20? I think he could make a significant jump next year. Upside is quite high. 

Whoa! Not one update all season. Dominated his first AA start tonight. Gotta think he's getting shut down after tonight. He's at 113 innings after only 51 last year. Great season of two promotions and presumably in position to possibly get a chance next year at some point.

• Like 2

He's stayed healthy and had a productive year. Needs to limit walks and perhaps improve his changeup, potential is pretty high. 

Command is coming quicker than people think. Maybe it's because he started baseball late in his life and is at the low end of his learning curve. Possible he could be a rare pitcher that is tall and also coordinated. 

Gets the Glasnow comp because of the high fastball + spike curve. And height. But I think he has better extension and less velo. 

13 hours ago, 4catztoomany said:

What is everyone thinking with Matt Manning?  

I own him, and like him, but I think his perceived valued might be higher than it should be. People think he's going to be an ace, whereas I think thats still quite a longshot. Much rather have Mize, and Mize is no sure thing. I would not be looking to pay for him, fine as a throw in or pickup in shallower formats.  He certainly has a shot to be a top end pitcher, but there seems to be too much optimism right now. 

He has gotten some helium over the offseason with the addition of the change-up. His fastball and curve were already 65-70 grade pitches, but I saw a couple projections suggest the change-up already grades out at or close to 60. 3 60+ grade offerings is pretty exceptional. The addition of the change did not result in a major change in results. Manning's progress has been pretty much linear with skills holding up as he progresses through the ranks.

I see number 2 pitcher upside. Very good for sure, but maybe not what people expect when they see him getting ranked as the 21st overall player (SP3!!!) on places like Rotowire. Give me Gore, Mize, Puk, Paddack,... even Anderson ahead of him personally.

• Like 1

Today 7 IP - 1 H - 0 BB - 10 K 

On the season 12 IP - 2 H - 3 BB - 15 K 

What a stud.

The Tigers used to be extremely aggressive with their pitching prospects (Verlander & Porcello for example).  Can this kid make his debut this year if he keeps this up?  You'd have to think he'd be promoted to AAA if he continues to dominate like this for a few more starts.

Might have ace potential. 

22 IP - 32K/4BB and a 0.62 WHIP. 10 hits allowed, no homers. 

ETA 2020 at the earliest. 

10 hours ago, dod959 said:

Might have ace potential. 

22 IP - 32K/4BB and a 0.62 WHIP. 10 hits allowed, no homers. 

ETA 2020 at the earliest. 

I'm curious what makes you say this?  You don't think he could force the issue?  This kid it unquestionably dominating AA right now and if this continues he could see AAA before the end of May.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dahk said:

I'm curious what makes you say this?  You don't think he could force the issue?  This kid it unquestionably dominating AA right now and if this continues he could see AAA before the end of May.

The Tigers have no reason to call him up. That's the problem. 

On 4/24/2019 at 6:30 AM, Dahk said:

Hard to imagine him being up this year. No need to push him, he's not a finished product either. I concur 2020 is earliest. A struggle or injury could push to 2021. I rather have Mize than him too, and wouldn't be shocked if Mize lapped him.

Posted (edited)

I don't think Tigs will play service time game with Manning or Mize.  I think it's different with pitchers. Not to mention Detroit has nothing marketable on the major league roster other than a broke down Miggy.  I think they'll be aggressive with both.  Opening day next season at the latest for both.

Castellanos likely dealt by the TDL, Goodrum, Harrison, Mercer, Greiner - not putting asses in seats. 

Edited by Baseball Jonze
  • Like 1

This is true actually. You don't see this happen with pitchers as often. The service time manipulation thing.

This has been mostly a hitting prospect thing. Probably has something to do with the fact a pitchers career can plumment in a second. Less likely to play the long game and get as much of them when they have nasty stuff instead wasting those bullets on AAA hitters.

• Like 2