Coach George

Braxton Garrett - SP MIA

MLB Pipeline released their top 10 LHP list today and I was a little surprised to see Garrett at #4 over some really good names. Garrett is a high schooler from Alabama that had committed to Vanderbilt.  The Marlins played it safe and didn't throw him in any minor league games last year.

Garrett is a little bit of an unknown, but he appears to be a rock solid arm. He might not have as much upside as Groome or maybe even Manning, but he's certainly someone that I will follow.  The more I learn about Garrett, the more I like.

His control for his age is outstanding that's why I think he's going to surprise a lot of people.

I'm also a Marlins fan though.

He had Tommy John surgery back in June.

I'd say that was pretty bad break for him overall.  Hopefully he can get healthy and return to his former potential.

• Like 1

He pitched 3.5 games (his fourth start ended early, resulting in TJS) for full-season-A ball Greensboro.

He was pitching very well - albeit a small sample size - as a 19-year-old in full season ball, almost 3 years younger than league average. His last start is where he got shelled a bit but, again, he ended up needing TJS, so take that for what it's worth.  According to baseball-reference.com, he got through 5 innings in his second start with only 40 pitches while striking out four - which, for me, implies he has an ability to work efficiently while racking up decent K numbers.

All in all, I like this kid a lot. Great hold in dynasty leagues or buy-low candidate if you can swing a deal for him.

His 3-start line (minus the bad, abbreviated fourth injury start): 3 GS, 0.66 ERA, 0.95 WHIP, 1 W, 12 K (7.9 K/9), 6 BB (3.95 BB/9), 7 HA (4.6 H/9), .146 BAA, .449 OPS-against.

Edited by txrngr34
  • Like 1