Dugout Legend

Carlos Martinez 2017 Outlook

190 posts in this topic

Does he make the next jump up? Top 20 SP Rank?

2016:  16-9  - 3.04 - 195IP / 174K -  1.22 Whip.

Definitely buying him at his current price.

I think he makes the next jump as well and has it in him to be a top 20 SP, maybe even top 15. I also really like where he's being drafted right now, though I know the price will go up as the days go by. I'd rather take him over guys like Tanaka, Hamels, Cole, or Duffy, all of whom are close in SP ranking. 

2 people like this

On 1/23/2017 at 3:57 AM, Dislimb said:

Definitely buying him at his current price.

this! hes a great SP2

Is anyone concerned about an injury risk or am I being overly cautious? 

8 minutes ago, jwblue said:

every pitcher has an injury risk it seems.  even kershaw has questions that no one seems to be talking about

I think Martinez is the next big young pitcher. Not talking about the nest Kershaw, Bumgarner, or Syndergaard, but I think he's easily going to end in the top 20 SPs this year and be very valuable in keepers

On 1/28/2017 at 4:30 PM, jwblue said:

Well, he just signed a 5 year extension. I think that should help ease the injury risk concerns a bit for right now.

2 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Why would that ease injury risk concerns?

I think what @Light Tower Poweris saying is that the Cardinals were enough in his health to give him a 5 year extension, so we should be confident as well.

Basically, the Cardinals confidence is a positive sign.

So the preclude to TJ surgery can be seen medically? If so why do teams let them keep pitching till it blows up and the player needs the surgery? Not trying to be snarky or anything but trying to understand it from a team concept as generally they are on the hook for almost two years of salary.

31 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

So the preclude to TJ surgery can be seen medically? If so why do teams let them keep pitching till it blows up and the player needs the surgery? Not trying to be snarky or anything but trying to understand it from a team concept as generally they are on the hook for almost two years of salary.

If a team is going to invest 5 years into a player, I'm sure we can assume they've done as many checks as they can. There are some red flags for TJS... but even when they are present TJS might not occur.

I think what people are implying is that he has nothing detectable (ie: bone spurs).

All in on CMart this year. Love watching him pitch and should return good value. Thinking 200K 3.50/1.20

13 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

I think what @Light Tower Poweris saying is that the Cardinals were enough in his health to give him a 5 year extension, so we should be confident as well.

Yes, exactly.

Things can change quick though, and you can use Cory Luebke as a cautionary tale. But definitely a vote of confidence on his health from a well run organization.

14 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

This same Cardinals org tried to break him in 2015 by having him throw over 100 ip more than he ever had before.  He went down in September finally. 

I respect a lot of things that STL does but they aren't perfect.  For instance, there's no way I'd let him pitch in the WBC this year. 

2 people like this

17 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

This same Cardinals org tried to break him in 2015 by having him throw over 100 ip more than he ever had before.  He went down in September finally. 

I respect a lot of things that STL does but they aren't perfect.  For instance, there's no way I'd let him pitch in the WBC this year. 

What's an organizations ability to "let" players play in the WBC though? 

3 minutes ago, taobball said:

What's an organizations ability to "let" players play in the WBC though? 

I'm not exactly sure there's anything in writing that allows them to do so. 

But I know that as they were at the negotiating table for his recently signed extension they could have specifically put that language in the contract.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Kind of hard to tell players they can't play in it when MLB was one of the forces behind having it after baseball became a non Olympic sport

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/World_Baseball_Classic

I'm aware that MLB wants the WBC to succeed for marketing purposes.  But the GM's job is to win in the regular season.   Having your pitchers play in an exhibition event and altering their preseason routine doesn't help achieve that goal.  And orgs have wide latitude in the types of activities they can restrict for their assets.

Have we already forgotten Kershaw screwing himself up last WBC?

For fantasy purposes any starting pitcher that participates in the WBC is off my draft board.  

2 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

I'm aware that MLB wants the WBC to succeed for marketing purposes.  But the GM's job is to win in the regular season.   Having your pitchers play in an exhibition event and altering their preseason routine doesn't help achieve that goal.  And orgs have wide latitude in the types of activities they can restrict for their assets.

For fantasy purposes any starting pitcher that participates in the WBC is off my draft board.  

I think Reyes is the one name I'm super worried about it. 

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, taobball said:

I think Reyes is the one name I'm super worried about it. 

Me too.  As a dynasty owner I'm hoping he's just pitching out of the bullpen. 

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

The GM job is to he promote the company of which the team is just a franchise. The WBC is good for baseball and a player can be hurt whether he plays in it or not.