BostonCajun

Freddie Freeman 2017 Outlook

311 posts in this topic

He had a quietly great year last year without anyone around him on that Atlanta offense. He hit .302/.400/.569 with 34 HR, 102 runs, and 91 RBIs. I think he could easily do that again. The power that everyone expected finally showed up and we saw what he's capable of. His hard hit % jumped up by 5% and he did so by pulling the ball less and going oppo more. This guy is one of the more talented hitters in the game and his swing is a thing of beauty. I think he'll be a top 5 1B this year after the likes of Goldy, Rizzo, Miggy, and Votto.

5 people like this

I think he will have a great season.  He is moving into a new ball park with the right field fences moved in from the old ball park.   I know there is a wall, but he has to hit 5-6 more home runs during the course of a season.  He'll have Inciarte and hopefully Swanson at some point hitting in front of him.  He will also have Kemp hitting behind him for a whole season.  Take a look at the list of pitchers that he hit home runs off of last year.  Pretty impressive.

Edited by Short Porch
2 people like this

That Braves team is sneaky underrated.  Just looking at it- Markakis and Inciarte have little power but they generally provide solid OBP.  Kemp, actually stayed healthy  Swanson could breakout and Sean Rodriguez emerged out of nowhere last year.  Tyler Flowers was pretty good too, albeit in a limited role.  The team OPS could make a big improvement in a hurry.

Brockpapersizer,

You were able to see the round 5 value last year and didn't give up on the +5% in FB% & HR/FB% since FF was still on the upward side of his bell curve? W/o cluttering the Freeman thread, who's your Rd5+ 1B this year? Cuban Babe? HanRam?

Dap,  bby

Brock, page 1, 2016 Freeman thread

Yes, I think he COULD be top 3. Could hit .320 with 28 bombs (maybe 30 if he gets a power spike in his development). That's his upside. 5 homers away from doing that in 2013. Still like 26. Miggy or Goldy gets hurt. I don't see why those numbers couldnt edge our Rizzo/Abreu. It's better than most Votto years. Freeman was top 5 in 2013 and thats with counting Ortiz as a 1b, which I dont. So he's basically has a top 4 year already under his belt. http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/2013-fantasy-baseball-rankings-first-base/ I'm definitely not projecting him for top 3, mostly because of his lineup, butI think he has that sort of potential. In round 5 or later if you end up with Freeman at 1b, it may not be sexy on draft day but you're not gonna regret that pick.

Edited by bbythepier

I remember reading an article saying that the new park was basically built for Freeman.  

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I remember reading an article saying that the new park was basically built for Freeman.  

Anothwr thread I remember discussing it but it appears to even be in a higher elevation part of Georgia...

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

1 hour ago, taobball said:

Anothwr thread I remember discussing it but it appears to even be in a higher elevation part of Georgia...

From ESPN's Tristan Cockcroft:

20. SunTrust Park, home to Atlanta Braves
Dimensions: 335' (6')-385' (8.75')-400' (8.75')-375' (16')-325' (16')
Altitude: 975 feet; Open-air stadium; Grass field

Besides the slightly smaller outfield dimensions, SunTrust appears likely to reside at roughly 25-40 feet greater altitude than its predecessor, Turner Field. It should be within range of 1,000 feet, keeping it third-highest in the game, meaning that while Turner was a pitching-friendly venue, SunTrust might lean slightly closer to neutral. Left-handed hitters -- especially those with greater launch angles, granting them more ability to clear the higher fence -- should benefit most, making Freddie Freeman a stronger repeat candidate. The most significant impact of the move from Turner to SunTrust, however, might be upon strikeouts: Turner was fourth from 2012-16 (1.074), but might SunTrust bring that number closer to the league average?

http://www.espn.com/fantasy/baseball/story/_/page/mlbdk2k17_factors/fantasy-baseball-chase-field-always-kind-hitters-att-park-clearly-favors-pitchers

4 people like this

Alright if the new park was built for Freeman, why were they trying to trade him within the last year or two? 

Just now, mevins31 said:

Alright if the new park was built for Freeman, why were they trying to trade him within the last year or two? 

are you more concerned with the intention or the result?

6 hours ago, mevins31 said:

Im a big braves fan.  I don't think a serious attempt was made to deal him 

what I meant by that is that the stadium favors the type of hitter he is.  I think the Braves are under rated.  Freeman should be in for a great season

1 person likes this

What are the odds that last year will be Freddy's career year??

3 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

Not so sure about this. He made improvements against lefties last year, remained productive in an otherwise average line up. New line up additions should serve as a little more protection. I think he just entered his golden age. I'm all in on Freeman because of his reliability and value at his current ADP. We're looking at another .300/100/30/100 IMO from a late 3rd, to early 4th round pick. Steal city.

I'm surprised he's lasting that late in the drafts....keeper ranking have him about #20-25 overall....pegging him as a late second rounder

Even early mocks, 12 team standard, he was going late 2nd or early 3rd. You get him from pick #30 on you got good value.

Came here to say this exact thing. No way he makes the 4th. Been going late 2nd to mid 3rd. Not sure he's a value pick. See him more as a safe pick in the early rounds. Doubt he exceeds his 3rd round value

Edited by High&Inside

I'm just reporting what his current ADP is on Yahoo. 3 weeks from now I would not be shocked either to see him 2/3 rd either. But most will probably be taking EE, Votto, Migcab, etc first.

1 hour ago, bigbossman said:

Decent but I think he's a 25-30 hr bat hitting 300 for quite a few more years 

Edited by brockpapersizer
1 person likes this

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

Decent but I think he's a 25-30 hr bat hitting 300 for quite a few more years 

nice with a 400opb and 900 ops..?

sign me up

Wow, did anyone see the spring AB vs Verlander yesterday? Totally made my mind up on where to rank Freeman this year.

My most recent mocks I got him at 37 and 42

Edited by CraftyRighty
1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

Wow, did anyone see the spring AB vs Verlander yesterday? Totally made my mind up on where to rank Freeman this year.

My most recent mocks I got him at 37 and 42

He's got one of the prettiest swings in the game and his hands are unbelievably quick which allows him to turn on pitches that are in and rope them down the line like he did with that Verlander pitch. He's one of my favorite hitters in the game to watch and since I live a mile from the new park I'll be going to see him often. I think last year was legit and that we'll see much of the same if not better numbers than what he put up. I could see 100/35/110/5 with a .300+ average and .400+ obp. This guy is a stud and this will likely be the last year you can get him without having to spend a 2nd or an early 3rd round pick on him. 

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

He's got one of the prettiest swings in the game and his hands are unbelievably quick which allows him to turn on pitches that are in and rope them down the line like he did with that Verlander pitch. He's one of my favorite hitters in the game to watch and since I live a mile from the new park I'll be going to see him often. I think last year was legit and that we'll see much of the same if not better numbers than what he put up. I could see 100/35/110/5 with a .300+ average and .400+ obp. This guy is a stud and this will likely be the last year you can get him without having to spend a 2nd or an early 3rd round pick on him. 

So his numbers suggest elite Rizzo numbers at a 2 round discount

18 minutes ago, cad300 said:

Very very possible.   I still have to put Rizzo ahead of Freeman but the upside for Freeman is arguably higher.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, cad300 said:

I think there is definitely more value in drafting Freeman. If you take a closer look at both their numbers from last year I would argue that Freeman's numbers were very close if not better depending on the format of your league. I play in a league with OBP instead of AVE and I would rather have, especially this year, Freeman over Rizzo due to his elite OBP and the lower draft cost. Rizzo is being drafted in most leagues around pick 11 while Freeman is going around pick 27. I get that Rizzo has more years of elite level production than Freeman and he's in the best lineup in baseball so those drive his price up a little. However, If I could grab someone else in the end of the 1st/early 2nd other than Rizzo, say Donaldson or Machado, and wait until the 3rd round to grab Freeman I would. He scored 8 more runs, 18 fewer rbis, a few more sb, 10 points higher average and 15 points higher obp. All things considered that's pretty darn close for a 2 round discount where you can makeup for those lost rbis with other players in rounds 1 and 2. 

4 people like this

I'll just pretend nobody's showing any love for his performance today. 4-5 2 diingers a double and sprinkled on a SB. Stud

1 person likes this