fawkes_mulder

Fernando Tatis, Jr.- 3B/SS San Diego

Just debuted at #47 on Keith Law's top 100...some high praise. Baseball Prospectus had him #6 in their org, as well as Longenhagen from Fangraphs.

Signed: July 2nd Period, 2015 from Dominican Republic
Age 18 Height 6’3 Weight 185 Bat/Throw R/R
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
30/50 50/60 30/50 45/40 45/60 60/70

Relevant/Interesting Metrics
Had .182 ISO and 26.5% strikeout in 50-PA taste of Northwest League at age 17.

Scouting Report
The primary return from Chicago in exchange for James Shields early this season, Tatis was already an intriguing prospect late in the spring but continued to improve as the summer went on and now looks like a potential star. He has shortstop actions and a future 70 arm, but he’ll almost certainly need to move to third base eventually as his large frame fills in and he slows down. The combination of the arm, athleticism, hands and actions could lead to plus-plus defense at third base, though, and with more mass will come more power. Tatis has good bat speed and some natural leverage in his swing and could have plus raw power at maturity. He may never tap into it, though. The swing is noisy, with lots of independently moving parts and Tatis’ contact issues are exacerbated by the length of his limbs and his propensity to be way out in front of offspeed stuff. I have a future 50 on the bat, which is pretty aggressive considering where Tatis is at right now, but he’s still just 17 and has done nothing but exceed the expectations placed upon him as an amateur since arriving. If all the tools actualize, he’s a star. Of course, at just 17 and with hefty swing-and-miss issues, he’s also quite a risk.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/prospect-reports-san-diego-padres/

• Like 2

Yea certainly will/should. Already some where in the 40's on Klaw list. Very good backfield reports. Smart work by the Pads to snag him in that Shields package--basically paying down money to get him. He's on my short list for guys that will rocket up the ranks with a few months of scouting/data.

Yeah...I think he'll be someone to watch...won't cost anything right now in deep dynasty leagues

I'll be impressed when he hits 2 grand slams in 1 inning, minus the roids, of course.

• Like 4

Visually he reminds me of Addison Russell. Got that high waist. 

Nice young prospect. Buy now or pay more later.

2 hours ago, hard1 said:

Lord I hope he hits better than russell

Addison Russell isn't even close to a finished product.  His defense got him to the bigs early.

But yeah all of you drooling over Andrew Benintendi ... Addison Russell is the same age.  I truly believe Russell's bat could really benefit from a month or so in AAA.

• Like 1

I get it premium position stellar D there is something to be said for that...especially in real life...obviously we'd all love him to be hitting like AB right now though...but I hear yah

Just ripping it up after a slow start to the year. Superstar material and a sneaky bet to be a top 10 overall prospect by next year.

As a Padres fan I could not be more ecstatic.  Can't believe the White Sox gave him away in the Shields trade.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, B&F said:

As a Padres fan I could not be more ecstatic.  Can't believe the White Sox gave him away in the Shields trade.

Another Kenny Williams classic move.

Tatis definitely has that power/speed combo. Excited to see where he lands on prospect lists for 2018, definitely see top 20 as a possibility for many lists.

• Like 1

the way hes going he has an outside shot at 25/25 as an 18 year old in low A, I wonder if they move him or try to keep some of that group together

Grand Slam and solo shot in a rain shortened game last night.

Hitting .455/.581/1.121 in July!

Can't wait to see where Klaw places him on his update today, as he was high man on him on previous lists.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

#15 on Klaw list!

Keith Law is a moron, though that doesn't diminish Tatis.  He's having a great season ...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 12to6 said:

He was still available in my league, so I just grabbed him.

Thanks for the insight! 

3 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Thanks for the insight! 

Lol, that's fair.

On 7/13/2017 at 11:48 AM, JFS179 said:

Keith Law is a moron, though that doesn't diminish Tatis.  He's having a great season ...

Ridiculous. Guy is as right as anyone in the business. He kind of called McCullers, as a recent example. No one is 100%, but he knows his stuff.

• Like 1

James Anderson who does really great work at Rotowire keeps a top 400 list that he updates regularly. He's #10 right now on his list. He's been very aggressive in the recent years on ranking guys while in the lower minors. He had Vlad and Eloy in his top 10 way before anyone else did. 

• Like 1