fawkes_mulder

Fernando Tatis, Jr.- 3B/SS San Diego

Odds that Tatis is promoted this year? And if so...are we looking at nothing more than a cup of coffee or could we be looking at 1/2 a season? 

Assuming he goes to AAA and hits well, I think there is 80% chance he gets a 2019 call-up.  For it to happen before September, I think that is a 50/50 shot.  If he is killing it, I could see him popping up after the all-star break.

September call-ups for elite talent on non-contending teams just don't happen anymore. Those teams value the control (if not the Super-2 status) more than a month of experience in September.

I think Tatis could make it up this year if he plays exceptionally well and there are injuries. SD has a lot of prospects approaching the point of being ready, so they'll likely start processing them up the chain as they're ready and there's space, especially after say July 7 this year.

Machado signed with the Padres. Unsure if he's going to be 3B or SS, no word yet. Would be a buzzkill if Tatis went to being a 3B

Edited by King_of_Kings

They have a gaping hole at 3B at the moment...I would think Manny will take on that role.  I have to think Tatis is the overall winner here actually.  Could this signing also move up the timeline for Tatis to have the Padres compete this year?

7 minutes ago, pduce242424 said:

They have a gaping hole at 3B at the moment...I would think Manny will take on that role.  I have to think Tatis is the overall winner here actually.  Could this signing also move up the timeline for Tatis to have the Padres compete this year?

I don't think so.  Have you looked at their SP rotation?  It is horrid.

8 minutes ago, pduce242424 said:

I actually think it is sort of the opposite. They have the base locked in and there is really no reason to press the issue. It isn't like a losing season this year will make Manny leave or annoy Manny. Dude got paid and committed to the franchise basically until he ring chases at the end of his career. They can develop prospects and probably value control to make the prime of Manny overlap with as many of the prospects as possible. 

16 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Their pitching is horrid.  That being said, they have the deepest farm system in the game and would be able to make moves to get pitching.  Or they could swoop in and sign Keuchel too.  

47 minutes ago, jb_power said:

They have a deep farm for pitching. Logan Allen and Chris Paddack are close. Morejon, Baez, Weathers, Gore, Espinoza a little further away and have some intriguing guys in hte middle. 

Edited by brockpapersizer

32 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

They have a deep farm for pitching. Logan Allen and Chris Paddack are close. Morejon, Baez, Weathers, Gore, Espinoza a little further away and have some intriguing guys in hte middle. 

Yes, I know they have a promising group of pitchers in their farm system.  I was replying to pduce242424 post about Tatis timeline to the minors

4 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Yes, I know they have a promising group of pitchers in their farm system.  I was replying to pduce242424 post about Tatis timeline to the minors

Ah. Well I do think they have a shot to copete this year, I kinda think they dont call him up after 2 weeks, but Super 2 a possibility.

56 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Ah. Well I do think they have a shot to copete this year, I kinda think they dont call him up after 2 weeks, but Super 2 a possibility.

I'm kind of believing he may end up coming up mid-season now.  They signed Machado and Kinsler, already have Urias up as well who can handle SS.  No real reason to start his clock just to push Urias or Kinsler into a utility role.

48 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

I'm kind of believing he may end up coming up mid-season now.  They signed Machado and Kinsler, already have Urias up as well who can handle SS.  No real reason to start his clock just to push Urias or Kinsler into a utility role.

your first sentence seems like he's coming up and your second not. Confusing. You think he'll be up at Super 2 timeish or not? I agree they dont need him up right away, but I feel like super 2 is overrated personaly. You wait the 2 weeks and you have an extra year.  If he's not ready, he's not ready, but I dont see the point of delaying beyond getting the extra year.

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

your first sentence seems like he's coming up and your second not. Confusing. You think he'll be up at Super 2 timeish or not? I agree they dont need him up right away, but I feel like super 2 is overrated personaly. You wait the 2 weeks and you have an extra year.  If he's not ready, he's not ready, but I dont see the point of delaying beyond getting the extra year.

Well there is also the 40 man spot they have to vacate to bring him up and the 25 man spot as well.  Right now, their IF is full.  Machado at 3b, Urias at SS, Kinsler at 2b.  They aren't trading Urias most likely any time soon, Machado is going nowhere and it'd be stupid of them to relegate Kinsler to a bench role, all that does is kill any trade value he can get the team.  It's always a possibility they just bench him, but the chances are slim overall.  Also, I already answered your question... I said I thought he would come up mid-season in my first post.  Then backed it up with why I thought it would be mid-season.

Edited by daynlokki

2 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Well there is also the 40 man spot they have to vacate to bring him up and the 25 man spot as well.  Right now, their IF is full.  Machado at 3b, Urias at SS, Kinsler at 2b.  They aren't trading Urias most likely any time soon, Machado is going nowhere and it'd be stupid of them to relegate Kinsler to a bench role, all that does is kill any trade value he can get the team.  It's always a possibility they just bench him, but the chances are slim overall.  Also, I already answered your question... I said I thought he would come up mid-season in my first post.  Then backed it up with why I thought it would be mid-season.

Kinsler is going into his age 37 season. He’s clearly in decline the last two years.  Is he really going to block a top 5 prospect? If they hold him back, I don’t think it will have anything to do with Kinsler.  It will have everything to do with how the team is performing, and if he’s holding his own in AAA. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pduce242424 said:

Kinsler is going into his age 37 season. He’s clearly in decline the last two years.  Is he really going to block a top 5 prospect? If they hold him back, I don’t think it will have anything to do with Kinsler.  It will have everything to do with how the team is performing, and if he’s holding his own in AAA. 

Well they JUST signed him to a 2 year, 8m deal.  While he may not block him all that much, I'd assume the fact that he's on the 40 man roster and Tatis is not probably works in his favor.  They gain nothing by benching Kinsler and waiting on Tatis a little bit longer.  They perhaps can gain salary relief along with a wild card prospect by potentially playing him some and seeing if he bounces back... I mean he JUST won a gold glove.  Teams love veterans with a glove.

They JUST signed Machado. My initial point was couldn’t the signing change some things with Tatis?  If nothing else signing Machado energizes a fan base that’s been the red headed step child of the division pretty much since they’ve been in existence. Five playoff appearances in 50 years. That might motivate management to be a little more aggressive. I’m not saying Tatis is going to break with the squad out of spring training, but it’s reasonable to think he could be promoted early in the season. 

They signed Kinsler at a point that they didn’t know they’d get Machado. At that point I would think the signing of Kinsler had more to do with bringing on a veteran to provide some leadership to the youth movement that was coming in the middle infield.  I’d love for Tatis and Urias to learn some from a gold Glover...Eight mil for 2 years is not a hefty investment, and well worth it to bring the young guys along. And if Kinslers primary calling card to trade to a contender is his glove, he doesn’t need to play much to retain that imo...essentially he’s be a utility guy on a contending team.  Why not give him some experience in that role 😉

just my two cents. 

Just hit a liner to the gap that went 400. Of his bat looked like a double to me. Insane power and ball flies off the bat

What’s his ETA this season? I haven’t checked his service time if that’s the issue.

He has no service time accrued yet. Unless they’re in the hunt in August/September, I’d be shocked if he sees a single AB this year. 

1 hour ago, mavsfan23 said:

He has no service time accrued yet. Unless they’re in the hunt in August/September, I’d be shocked if he sees a single AB this year. 

if he hits in AAA the 1st 2 weeks, unless Urias and Kinsler are both smoking hot, he will be up after the service time middle of April has passed

with Tatis, Machado, Urias, to go with Hosmer, Myers, Renfroe, Reyes, Hedges and Mejia, the lineup itself is a wildcard lineup

Paddack will be up soon as well, Lucchessi has added another pitch

this team will be in the WC hunt from the jump, and 2020 is their target year to definitely make the playoffs, you don't do that without getting Tatis acclimated

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

if he hits in AAA the 1st 2 weeks, unless Urias and Kinsler are both smoking hot, he will be up after the service time middle of April has passed

with Tatis, Machado, Urias, to go with Hosmer, Myers, Renfroe, Reyes, Hedges and Mejia, the lineup itself is a wildcard lineup

Paddack will be up soon as well, Lucchessi has added another pitch

this team will be in the WC hunt from the jump, and 2020 is their target year to definitely make the playoffs, you don't do that without getting Tatis acclimated

You may be right, but I’d take that bet. Lots of if’s, and I’ll take the odds on SD not competing and a prospect being held down for money. History is on my side. 

14 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

You may be right, but I’d take that bet. Lots of if’s, and I’ll take the odds on SD not competing and a prospect being held down for money. History is on my side. 

your right, and no way they sign the biggest contract in professional sports history either

This is a classic comment about Tatis's HR.

“Their third-base coach said they had early work tomorrow catching line drives at shortstop to prevent home runs,” Padres manager Andy Green mused. “That about sums it up.”

• Like 2

It was a blast to watch him and Paddack shine yesterday. I have them both and hope they contribute this season at some point. I think if Tatis is off to a good start and the team is in the mix they will bring him up earlier. Like stated before...lot of ifs...