fawkes_mulder

Fernando Tatis, Jr.- 3B/SS San Diego

On 3/4/2019 at 2:41 PM, OaksterDan said:

Kinsler was god-awful on Boston last year.  He's not gonna hold Tatis off for very long.

Urias pulled today cause of a hammy, same thing that shut him down last year

On 3/4/2019 at 2:41 PM, OaksterDan said:

Kinsler was god-awful on Boston last year.  He's not gonna hold Tatis off for very long.

He had a total of 37 games with Boston.  It's not his bat that would be keeping him in the lineup.  It'd be the gold gloves he has.  That would put 3 gold glove infielders in at the same time for a team who's pitching is lagging way behind.  Brendan Ryan found ways to start for years because of his glove work.

We all the the Padres MO, Tatis may have a shot late June or July but that is it but if they are not contending, I think he is a minor leaguer until Sept

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, BaseballMuggle said:

We all the the Padres MO, Tatis may have a shot late June or July but that is it but if they are not contending, I think he is a minor leaguer until Sept

There's this little thing about box office, too.   If the rest of the team is gelling around Machado, I think it's more likely they hit "go", and bring him up.   This is a team that just went out and dropped $300 million on one guy.  They're not going to dicker around with the arbitration clock, IMO.  

Edit:  I mean, if you think they'll wait until September, they may as well wait until May 2020.

Edited by tm30
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, tm30 said:

There's this little thing about box office, too.   If the rest of the team is gelling around Machado, I think it's more likely they hit "go", and bring him up.   This is a team that just went out and dropped $300 million on one guy.  They're not going to dicker around with the arbitration clock, IMO.  

Edit:  I mean, if you think they'll wait until September, they may as well wait until May 2020.

I see them waiting until May or whatever his clock is. Kinsler is serviceable, and Urias is better than any SS they have had in recent memory. 

2 hours ago, mtblock said:

I see them waiting until May or whatever his clock is. Kinsler is serviceable, and Urias is better than any SS they have had in recent memory. 

Freddy Galvis !

From the Sleeper and The Bust podcast, the guys were fairly confident that Tatis Jr. had a lot to work on still in AA/AAA, namely the strike outs.

But everybody is buzzing about this guy getting a call up in early May. 

If he gets a call up in early May, he should be going for a lot more in auction redraft leagues right now. Right now he goes for $1 or $2, but he should be going for $6+ if he's going to get the call up in early May.

Do you guys think he gets called up? I would have thought that there's no chance that happens early season.

in redrafts, are people holding or cutting bait?

On 3/17/2019 at 5:46 PM, CrypTviLL said:

From the Sleeper and The Bust podcast, the guys were fairly confident that Tatis Jr. had a lot to work on still in AA/AAA, namely the strike outs.

But everybody is buzzing about this guy getting a call up in early May. 

If he gets a call up in early May, he should be going for a lot more in auction redraft leagues right now. Right now he goes for $1 or $2, but he should be going for $6+ if he's going to get the call up in early May.

Do you guys think he gets called up? I would have thought that there's no chance that happens early season.

He could sign a multi-year contract this weekend and put the whole question to rest.  It's not impossible.  In fact, it's more likely if SD think he's the real deal.  All bets are off right now because it looks like the end of "time manipulation" is coming quick, courtesy of the extended contract.  Owners are looking at the contracts doled out to Trout/Bryce/Machado, and the inflation is going to be enormous in coming years.   Handing out $40 million to a potential superstar with no MLB experience is no longer a crazy move.    

17 minutes ago, tm30 said:

He could sign a multi-year contract this weekend and put the whole question to rest.  It's not impossible.  In fact, it's more likely if SD think he's the real deal.  All bets are off right now because it looks like the end of "time manipulation" is coming quick, courtesy of the extended contract.  Owners are looking at the contracts doled out to Trout/Bryce/Machado, and the inflation is going to be enormous in coming years.   Handing out $40 million to a potential superstar with no MLB experience is no longer a crazy move.    

The problem I have with this argument is that, from my limited understanding, Tatis Jr. is NOT ready for the MLB. Unlike Eloy and Vlad, who are definitely ready for the MLB.

Tatis Jr., has serious K problems from what I recall and hasn't seen AAA, the reporters I was reading seem to feel he wouldn't have been up until late summer or longer, yet every fan thinks he's going to break in with the ball club after the first 3 weeks...

As of 8:45 p.m., Yahoo has stripped Tatis of his N/A status. I see no news of Tatis being moved to the 40-man roster, nor that he has made the Padres out of Spring Training. Trying to make a pickup and now cannot do so without moving Tatis to the active roster and dropping TWO active players from my roster. Thanks Yahoo.

26 minutes ago, Baseball Batman said:

As of 8:45 p.m., Yahoo has stripped Tatis of his N/A status. I see no news of Tatis being moved to the 40-man roster, nor that he has made the Padres out of Spring Training. Trying to make a pickup and now cannot do so without moving Tatis to the active roster and dropping TWO active players from my roster. Thanks Yahoo.

This has actually been going on for a couple of days now ..........NA to active 

I switched some of my roster spots around after he went off NA then he went back to NA now he is off again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Motorcat117 said:

This has actually been going on for a couple of days now ..........NA to active 

I switched some of my roster spots around after he went off NA then he went back to NA now he is off again.

I had not realized this was happening until now. Not nice of Yahoo to tease us in this way, not to mention handicapping Tatis owners trying to make roster moves. Yahoo, if you're reading this, please get your act together.

34 minutes ago, Baseball Batman said:

I had not realized this was happening until now. Not nice of Yahoo to tease us in this way, not to mention handicapping Tatis owners trying to make roster moves. Yahoo, if you're reading this, please get your act together.

They’re such idiots. Arguing with them about this too. Makes no sense. Typical yahoo crap

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

The problem I have with this argument is that, from my limited understanding, Tatis Jr. is NOT ready for the MLB. Unlike Eloy and Vlad, who are definitely ready for the MLB.

Tatis Jr., has serious K problems from what I recall and hasn't seen AAA, the reporters I was reading seem to feel he wouldn't have been up until late summer or longer, yet every fan thinks he's going to break in with the ball club after the first 3 weeks...

Tatis is going to be a 150-170 k per year type guy at his minor league pace

Goldschmidt, Harper, Story, Baez, Carpenter all in that range.  Its not a big deal

fwiw, Padres SS of 2018, struck out 147 times last year...Freddy Galvis

he can be elite with those k's and even better if he can get it down to the 130 range

Edited by Golden Spikes
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Baseball Batman said:

as of now, his NA status is back. they have such poor reasoning for this happening; he was a NRI so he should not have NA status; however, many others who are NRI do have it. so dumb. typical inconsistency from them

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2019 at 9:26 PM, Golden Spikes said:

Tatis is going to be a 150-170 k per year type guy at his minor league pace

Goldschmidt, Harper, Story, Baez, Carpenter all in that range.  Its not a big deal

fwiw, Padres SS of 2018, struck out 147 times last year...Freddy Galvis

he can be elite with those k's and even better if he can get it down to the 130 range

Tatis has a 27.7% K rate from the minors last year.  Out of qualified batters, only 7 were higher in the majors.  That's more up with Schwarber and Justin Upton.  Normally, the K rate climbs moving from AAA to the majors as well.
For reference, Harper had a 24.3%, and all the others are near 25%.  That's a pretty big difference.

Edited by daynlokki

17 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Tatis has a 27.7% K rate from the minors last year.  Out of qualified batters, only 7 were higher in the majors.  That's more up with Schwarber and Justin Upton.  Normally, the K rate climbs moving from AAA to the majors as well.
For reference, Harper had a 24.3%, and all the others are near 25%.  That's a pretty big difference.

2-3 ks in 100 at bats is not that big of a difference. He was also only 19 in AA and can and will improve

2 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

2-3 ks in 100 at bats is not that big of a difference. He was also only 19 in AA and can and will improve

I never said he couldn't improve.  I was just stating his k rate was about 2-3% off there, and the poster made it seem like the rate wasn't bad... it was though.  27.7% as a K rate was only beat by 7 players who qualified for the batting title last year.  The names around him are actually Schwarber, Villar, Khris Davis, Smoak, and the only ones above him in K rate were Justin Upton, Chris Taylor, Giancarlo Stanton, Teoscar Hernandez, Yoan Moncada, Joey Gallo and Chris Davis.  Those guys didn't have the greatest years last year overall.  Statistically, players K rates increase as they move up levels, so using those statistics it says that most likely, at least for now, his K rate will increase.  That puts him in dangerous territory where he needs great BABIP luck in order to be an everyday bat.  If Tatis had the same number of plate appearances as Khris Davis (654) and continued his K rate, he would have 181 strikeouts.  If he continued it to the same number as Stanton (705), he would have 195 ks.  Those aren't good numbers overall, and he better hope if it doesn't improve he can keep it up with a BABIP of .370, which literally would have been the 3rd highest in the MLB last year.  His current profile screams not ready to scouts.

is there any shot this guy makes the opening day roster? 

and even if he does, does he have a place to play?

3 minutes ago, pierceNKC said:

is there any shot this guy makes the opening day roster? 

and even if he does, does he have a place to play?

I am trying to figure this out, too. None of the beat writers seem to think so; many just say by mid-May, if things go as planned...

so, idk. they're being awfully aggressive with their young SP, though....so it gives me (false?) hope....

IMO he will be this years Acuna in terms of impact.

I would think he will be up as soon as his service time window passes.