fawkes_mulder

Fernando Tatis, Jr.- 3B/SS San Diego

Hmmm all the opinions I've seen from writers seem to think it'll be a mid-season or late-season callup... when they have Urias and Kinsler holding down the fort up the middle, and Machado having the ability to play both short and 3B. Might not be a need to rush him up.

So with Paddack making the team from opening day, Tatis owners have to be viewing this as an extremely positive sign. Paddack is the #34 prospect on MLB.com, never played higher than AA, and earned a spot by performing well in ST. Tatis has the same resume except he’s the #2 prospect overall. You gotta take this as a sign the Padres will play their youngsters day one regardless of service time and minor league experience. 

• Like 3

This is very surprising from a team that probably doesn't have much of a chance at contending this year, but crazier things have happened. As a baseball fan I love that they're playing the best players, but from a financial standpoint Paddack and Tatis should be in the minors for at least a couple weeks. Pete(r) Alonso as well, for that matter. A year of control for two weeks, such a flawed system and even more flawed logic to not take advantage of it.  

ummm.... so is he making the squad?    He hasn't been cut yet.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

This is very surprising from a team that probably doesn't have much of a chance at contending this year, but crazier things have happened. As a baseball fan I love that they're playing the best players, but from a financial standpoint Paddack and Tatis should be in the minors for at least a couple weeks. Pete(r) Alonso as well, for that matter. A year of control for two weeks, such a flawed system and even more flawed logic to not take advantage of it.  

The thing is, maybe clubs are realizing that 1) It's six years away and easier to ask forgiveness - especially if you're no longer part of the Front Office, or moved on to bigger and better things     2) If they're that good, they're going to get extended before that point (the age of big stars in free agency is going to come to an end, eventually).

Edited by tm30
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

He's made the opening day roster!!

Dennis LinVerified account @dennistlin 51s51 seconds ago

Source: Fernando Tatis Jr. will be on the Padres’ Opening Day roster. If any GM was going to do something like this, A.J. Preller seemed like the one.

Edited by Knox
  • Like 1

Love it.  I have zero shares but always love seeing talent win out.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 12:43 PM, pduce242424 said:

They have a gaping hole at 3B at the moment...I would think Manny will take on that role.  I have to think Tatis is the overall winner here actually.  Could this signing also move up the timeline for Tatis to have the Padres compete this year?

Bump...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wytchclt55 said:

So with Paddack making the team from opening day, Tatis owners have to be viewing this as an extremely positive sign. Paddack is the #34 prospect on MLB.com, never played higher than AA, and earned a spot by performing well in ST. Tatis has the same resume except he’s the #2 prospect overall. You gotta take this as a sign the Padres will play their youngsters day one regardless of service time and minor league experience. 

Nailed it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2