ChasinDatPaper

NFL Draft '17

144 posts in this topic

I know its a little bit early but lets get ahead and evaulate the top prospects and their landing spots.

I like both of the two big WRs in M Williams and Cory Davis. Any landing spot they could get drafted and immediately contribute?

Best of luck, great topic, unfortunately it gets moved where NOBODY goes.

2 people like this

4 hours ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

I know its a little bit early but lets get ahead and evaulate the top prospects and their landing spots.

I like both of the two big WRs in M Williams and Cory Davis. Any landing spot they could get drafted and immediately contribute?

Lol did we change your mind? I thought i remember you saying you didnt think mike williams was very good in the titans thread.

Anyway i do like Tennessee as a landing spot for williams. Corey davis looks pretty good to me too, i do like williams more tho if were comparing the two. I like davis somewhere around phillys pick, and i think that would be a great spot for him.

For top tier guys, my fandom would love to see foreman or mixon go to the vikings. I think both are a more realistic dream then saying cook or fournette. Im hoping that mixon will fall due to obvious off field concerns and we pill the trigger. We have some ammo to move if nessecary. I know we need oline help as much as possible as well, but not alot of top tier talent. We dont have a first so if cam robinson or borlles are there on day two id be a happy camper.

On a high note, im really enamoured with this DB class too. Alot of good talent and builds. I like them long and quick. Wilson, tabor, Lattimore, humphreys, conley, jones, tankersley etc. Alot of these guys seem like early contributers.

On a lower note, this qb class isnt very exciting. I did like what i saw out of deshaun, and i do like him as the #1 qb. But until at least the bills at 10. I think them or the browns might bite there. Then im probably going kizer, allen, tribusky and kaaya to round out my top 5 ATM.

2 people like this

I'm waiting on the second coming of the fantasy football messiah to show us the light ... Axe Elf to lead us to the promised land !

I caught him lurking the other day. Expecting a major announcement soon. President Trump to nominate Axe Elf for newly created cabinet position Fantasy Football Czar ... or was that crazy ? Calling Donta Foreman to Tampa in 2nd rd as value pick of the draft as the 4th fantasy RB to be taken after the Big 3 auto parts of which we expect to be Leonard,Dalvin & Mr Christian. 

Second best value Kamara Chameleon, his game is adaptable to any team and should blend in immediately

Mixon's stock like the player himself is too volatile. But I see the "OU didn't " RB going back to Cali ( at least until they leave for Vegas) replacing Latavius in the 3- headed monster backfield in Oakland. There he can hangout in the background in the Black Hole amongst all the rest of the convicts. Getting him in the 4-5 rd range means they'd get him cheap on the rookie contract so they can spend elsewhere locking up Mack, Cooper,Carr, etc... long term

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, howlin' 2 said:

I'm waiting on the second coming of the fantasy football messiah to show us the light ... Axe Elf to lead us to the promised land !

I caught him lurking the other day. Expecting a major announcement soon. President Trump to nominate Axe Elf for newly created cabinet position Fantasy Football Czar ... or was that crazy ? Calling Donta Foreman to Tampa in 2nd rd as value pick of the draft as the 4th fantasy RB to be taken after the Big 3 auto parts of which we expect to be Leonard,Dalvin & Mr Christian. 

Second best value Kamara Chameleon, his game is adaptable to any team and should blend in immediately

Mixon's stock like the player himself is too volatile. But I see the "OU didn't " RB going back to Cali ( at least until they leave for Vegas) replacing Latavius in the 3- headed monster backfield in Oakland. There he can hangout in the background in the Black Hole amongst all the rest of the convicts. Getting him in the 4-5 rd range means they'd get him cheap on the rookie contract so they can spend elsewhere locking up Mack, Cooper,Carr, etc... long term

i'd be surprised to see Mixon fall in the 4/5 round range but i think the Raiders is a pretty good call to where he could land.  I could see them wanting a guy like Mixon to mix in with Deandre Wash and maybe even Richard to some degree.   At 6'1', 220+ i think he actually has the size and skill set to be their lead back, or for whomever he plays for.   I watched Mixon put on a show vs TxTECH this year, he's electric and he's got the skills to run and catch the ball.  His ability to stretch the field is impressive.

hold your breath here but i think this guy could be Leveon Bell 2.0 coming in.  I watched Leveon a lot in his final season at Mich St.  Watching Mixon at OU reminds me a lot of how he looked and to be honest, i think Mixon looks better then Leveon did in college.   If this kid can keep his head right and keep his cleats on the field he's going to be a really good player, IMO

2 people like this

28 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

i'd be surprised to see Mixon fall in the 4/5 round range but i think the Raiders is a pretty good call to where he could land.  I could see them wanting a guy like Mixon to mix in with Deandre Wash and maybe even Richard to some degree.   At 6'1', 220+ i think he actually has the size and skill set to be their lead back, or for whomever he plays for.   I watched Mixon put on a show vs TxTECH this year, he's electric and he's got the skills to run and catch the ball.  His ability to stretch the field is impressive.

hold your breath here but i think this guy could be Leveon Bell 2.0 coming in.  I watched Leveon a lot in his final season at Mich St.  Watching Mixon at OU reminds me a lot of how he looked and to be honest, i think Mixon looks better then Leveon did in college.   If this kid can keep his head right and keep his cleats on the field he's going to be a really good player, IMO

Im thinking teams will take him right off their board. Its going to be interesting to see where he lands and how it breaks down draft day. Hes an easy day 1 talent on draft day, but i think he may fall till the third, especially with how the NFL has treated domestic abuse cases. I think the leveon bell comparison is pretty close, aside from the patented patient running style hes created all on his own. Mixon catches well, cuts beautifully and runs with power. Has the speed to take it to the house. Im really praying for my vikes to take a chance on him, but unfortunately the vikings arent known to take chances on guys like this. Seems like a winning lottery ticket at a 3rd round price. If he makes it that far.

2 people like this

20 minutes ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Im thinking teams will take him right off their board. Its going to be interesting to see where he lands and how it breaks down draft day. Hes an easy day 1 talent on draft day, but i think he may fall till the third, especially with how the NFL has treated domestic abuse cases. I think the leveon bell comparison is pretty close, aside from the patented patient running style hes created all on his own. Mixon catches well, cuts beautifully and runs with power. Has the speed to take it to the house. Im really praying for my vikes to take a chance on him, but unfortunately the vikings arent known to take chances on guys like this. Seems like a winning lottery ticket at a 3rd round price. If he makes it that far.

i think you are pretty dead on here.  I do agree there will be teams that either bump him down their board significantly or even remove him all together but there should be a ton of teams that will still take chance on him if he slides to that 3rd round territory, IMO.    Like you said, he could be a big time lotto value pick in that area and without the DV issues, he's a day one type talent, IMO.

Great point on Leveon's patients, he really started to build that part of his game his final year in college when his work load increased.  I don't see that type of patients from Mixon when i review his game film but he does flash a lot of the other qualities Bell does.  With a  bit more work he could get there.

Whoever lands Mixon will just need to pray this kid keeps his nose and fist clean.  If he can, he's going to be a good player for someone.

1 person likes this

I'd look for a team that has multiple third rounders to maybe take a chance on Mixon, but you never know, it only takes one team with a wild hair for him to go early, like when Denver took Tebow in the first despite most everybody knowing he was a third rounder at best.

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, petekrum said:

I'd look for a team that has multiple third rounders to maybe take a chance on Mixon, but you never know, it only takes one team with a wild hair for him to go early, like when Denver took Tebow in the first despite most everybody knowing he was a third rounder at best.

agreed Pete, and i think if he starts falling mid to late 3rd, teams will be licking their chops to jump up and snag him

just for fun looking over the 3rd round.  I could see early in that round the Jets, Panthers and Philly looking his way, maybe as it gets further along i could see Indy, Wash, TB, Oak looking his way if he's still there.  Interesting wildcards could be the Pats/Giants if he's still there at the end of the 3rd. oh boy

1 hour ago, BlakeP42 said:

agreed Pete, and i think if he starts falling mid to late 3rd, teams will be licking their chops to jump up and snag him

just for fun looking over the 3rd round.  I could see early in that round the Jets, Panthers and Philly looking his way, maybe as it gets further along i could see Indy, Wash, TB, Oak looking his way if he's still there.  Interesting wildcards could be the Pats/Giants if he's still there at the end of the 3rd. oh boy

Matt Millers latest mock had the Eagles taking him in the second after taking Corey Davis in the first. Man would I love that.

2 people like this

17 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Matt Millers latest mock had the Eagles taking him in the second after taking Corey Davis in the first. Man would I love that.

WOW, that makes my stomach hurt thinking of those two guys going to Philly.  That is exactly the kind of picks the Eagles have to make if they want to have any shot at having success with Wentz anytime soon.   Its embarrassing the WR core they had in place for him this past season.  Drop city.    Its possible both those players are the best in this class when all said and done.  I know thats bold but i think its possible.

So, I don't watch Clemson very much, but when I have, I haven't gotten the top 10 pick hype some have for Watson.  Why should I not view him as Manziel without the head issues?  (Which IMO is a mid to late first round pick capable of being a decent to good starter with some limitations). Williams in particular is a big worry for me, similar to Evans.

6 hours ago, jbshaw said:

So, I don't watch Clemson very much, but when I have, I haven't gotten the top 10 pick hype some have for Watson.  Why should I not view him as Manziel without the head issues?  (Which IMO is a mid to late first round pick capable of being a decent to good starter with some limitations). Williams in particular is a big worry for me, similar to Evans.

Well for one thing he put up a huge season last year without Williams so it's not like he was reliant on having a monster WR. Second, he's considerably bigger than Manziel who despite what anyone tells you was 5'10" on a tall day. Third, as I said having watched both extensively Watson looks much more NFL ready than Zak did coming out. Does that make him worthy of a top 10 pick? Hard to say, but it's surely a risk as he does have question marks. If you could get him in the 3rd like Zak, he'd be a no brainer, but as a top 10 pick, I'm not sure.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, petekrum said:

Well for one thing he put up a huge season last year without Williams so it's not like he was reliant on having a monster WR. Second, he's considerably bigger than Manziel who despite what anyone tells you was 5'10" on a tall day. Third, as I said having watched both extensively Watson looks much more NFL ready than Zak did coming out. Does that make him worthy of a top 10 pick? Hard to say, but it's surely a risk as he does have question marks. If you could get him in the 3rd like Zak, he'd be a no brainer, but as a top 10 pick, I'm not sure.

That's really my feeling on where he should go.  I think he's a decent pick for the first round, but the top tier of the first round is patently ridiculous IMO.  As far as Manziel, his official combine measurement was 6'0, and he was heavier than Watson's listed weight, but I meant more in terms of what they do on field.  I don't really see a difference in anticipation or accuracy that should make one better than the other IMO.  I watched a lot more Manziel games, so maybe I just had more opportunity to see it and haven't got Clemson on the right days (which would be fair.  I think it was just Auburn and Louisville, neither of which the offense performed particularly well in [was sick as a dog during the National Championship and was sleeping]).

On 1/29/2017 at 0:06 AM, jbshaw said:

the number comparison across the board between Johnny and Watson in college are pretty comparable so i get the idea overall.  Watson is a guy i've watched pretty closely since the start of the 15' season, and Johnny i watched many times and even in person on a few occasions down here in Tx.  I get the overall comparison but i view Watson coming in as more NFL ready then i did Johnny.    Coming out, Watson is measuring at 6'3 / 215lb,  his stature, footwork and poise in the pocket is one that i find superior to Johnny.  Next, if you watched Watson in both title games vs Bama, i see a guy that knows how to execute an NFL style offense, and run that against one of the best NFL style defenses in college football, Watson has plenty of really good big game experience to draw upon heading to the next level. To me, thats important.   Yes, Johnny put his own skins and W's on the wall as well in some big games, you don't become a Heisman winner for no reason,  but even in a losing effort in his first shot, Watson blew me away in his first title game against Bama. He became the first player to pass for 4000 yards and run for 1000 yards in a single season that year. This included losing Williams that year to injury i believe. Couple that with what we just saw in him finally taking that trophy from Saban, i see a QB with very little risk involved to take a chance on in the top 15 picks this year.  Johnny ALWAYS seemed way to volatile for me in college and coming out.  I and many I'm sure could smell his BS from miles away if you followed his college seasons, from his overall EGO, autograph signing BS, etc etc, to me i never thought his head was in the right place to mature and take the next step.  Saying that now though sure makes me sound hindsight judgmental given how its played out for him, but that was my opinion even while he was at A&M.  I think Watson stands head and shoulders above him just on character, leadership, and mental make up alone. When i look to the SB great QBs of the NFL over the decades, its starts between the ears more then anything involving pure skill. 

if I'm CLE, I'm taking Garrett at 1.1 and then if Watson is there at 10, in taking him.  Give me a top DL player to start my draft, then go take a chance on Watson and hope you just found your defensive and offensive leaders for a decade. At some point a team like CLE needs to put on their big boy pants and take a dive on a QB like Watson, instead of drafting six WR's. Hue and Watson make a lot of sense to me as well.   IMO, Watson is the best QB in this years class, so i take that chance, if it all goes to hell in a hand basket, i guess there is always next year to reevaluate your QB and draft position.   You never know until you try, sadly, CLE's been trying for about forever it seems now.  I'd be shocked to see Watson fail at the PRO level.  

We can split these hairs all we want over Watson vs a guy like Johnny , but bottom line, if you believe in the guys game and that he can be a franchise QB, top 10 is always justified, IMO.  Its hard to even judge Johnny football now, who knows he MAY have been a decent NFL QB if he had the right head about him and a GM built a solid foundation around him talent wise.  Unfortunately we will never know due to Johnny being an idiot and him being drafted by the Browns on a really terrible team.  True recipe for disaster for a mental midget like Johnny.  Watson, will not have that mental instability, IMO.  Even if he struggles in year one or two, i think he has the mental make up to work hard to get better, unlike Johnny.

My concern for Watson is obvious, its the INTS.  He reminds me of Winston, wants to make the big plays at times and fit the football into a space that is ill advised.  I think he can work on that and get better in this area as he develops further into the next level in the NFL, just as we have seen with Winston in year two.  Winston still chunked his fair share once again of INTS, but i still think he took a step forward in year two in his overall leadership and game.  He made some great throws this season in TB and overall that team is on the rise IMO.  

sorry for being long winded, i don't know any other way

2 people like this

Any RB that lands in Indy has potential to be a fantasy stub.  Seems like Gore is 50 years old and he is still productive in that offense!  I'd like to see them grab Dalvin Cook. 

Looks like mixon wont get the combine invite, another interesting peice to the puzzle. With these policies, seems like nfl will do what they can to keep guys like this from playing in the nfl. 

I dont think there going to be able to stop this one. My guess would still be a slide..but somewhere in the 3rd and up seems plausible.

1 person likes this

On February 3, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Kester13 said:

Any RB that lands in Indy has potential to be a fantasy stub.  Seems like Gore is 50 years old and he is still productive in that offense!  I'd like to see them grab Dalvin Cook. 

I think this is a very real possibility.

On 2/3/2017 at 10:33 AM, vikingapocalypse said:

Looks like mixon wont get the combine invite, another interesting peice to the puzzle. With these policies, seems like nfl will do what they can to keep guys like this from playing in the nfl. 

I dont think there going to be able to stop this one. My guess would still be a slide..but somewhere in the 3rd and up seems plausible.

He still has the Oklahoma pro day.  Teams will flock to see him.  Mixon not being invited to the combine doesn't change anything.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, shaft4783 said:

He still has the Oklahoma pro day.  Teams will flock to see him.  Mixon not being invited to the combine doesn't change anything.

Yes, i realize. Didnt really say it would change anything. It was merely a peice of news on an interesting situation weve all been following. Still think he will slide, regardless of this information.

2 hours ago, shaft4783 said:

Over/under line of 4.01 for mixon in the draft.  I say under.  3rd round.

Under as well. Too much talent. If hes sitting there in the 3rd teams are gonna start getting twitchy fingers

4 hours ago, shaft4783 said:

Over/under line of 4.01 for mixon in the draft.  I say under.  3rd round.

Agreed, someone with two seconds or thirds will pull the trigger.

He was already punished by Oklahoma.  Even if they sit mixon for a few games, it won't change his draft stock.

Hes arguably the best RB in this draft.  He's the most interesting story in the 2017 draft come day 2.  

If someone takes him in the 1st?  Look out.