SuperJoint

Cincinnati Bengals 2017 Outlook

Marvin Lewis has coached this team for 14 years. He has not won a playoff game. He is "pushing" for an extension. 

There are only 2 explanations for why CIN extends:

• Mike Brown is about to die and doesn't want he hassle of finding a new coach
  • Pac-Man needs Marvin's loving guidance once again.

The Bengals have not yet decided on the future of RCB Adam Jones, who was arrested on four charges in Cincinnati earlier this month.

Jones is facing a felony harassment charge with a bodily substance after allegedly spitting on a nurse, in addition to misdemeanor charges of assault, disorderly conduct, and obstructing police. Jones has a lengthy history of league-policy violations and could face NFL discipline. Cutting Jones before June 1 would save the Bengals $6.8 million against the salary cap.

Jan 26 - 10:25 PM

Just as bad as Lewis not ever winning a playoff game, he's never even gotten a first round bye in 14 years as a HC. 

Seems like the past few years they get worse every offseason.  They'll go 7-9 at best.

Only players that will be fantasy relevant are Green and Eifert.  Dalton is starting to scare me with that oline.

Edited by RMJ_12

The moves on the OL this year means Dalton will spend most of this season on his back. I think Eifert and Green are safe as they will be in comeback mode in most games and continue slinging the rock the entire game. I think there is a chance they go RB early in the draft this year so curious to see how that shakes out.

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

The moves on the OL this year means Dalton will spend most of this season on his back. I think Eifert and Green are safe as they will be in comeback mode in most games and continue slinging the rock the entire game. I think there is a chance they go RB early in the draft this year so curious to see how that shakes out.

Man, if they go RB early given the losses on the OL they are fools.

Agree that Dalton is going to be staring at the sky a lot this year. 

4 hours ago, JohnD said:

When teams have o-line problems, TEs usually become blockers.

Eifert goes to fantasy purgatory to keep Dalton off his back.  That's his job.

Green is his typical boom/bust WR1.

LaFell gets a bump unless Boyd develops into a #2.

7 hours ago, jmausen said:

When teams have o-line problems, TEs usually become blockers.

Eifert goes to fantasy purgatory to keep Dalton off his back.  That's his job.

Green is his typical boom/bust WR1.

LaFell gets a bump unless Boyd develops into a #2.

Green isn't boom/bust unless he gets the paucity of targets he saw in 2015. He should easily get the 150+ targets he needs to keep his floor high.

Going to be keeping an eye on whatever I can find on their offensive line this training camp: 

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/07/28/cincinnati-bengals-training-camp/516318001/

Cedric Ogbuehi. The left tackle had his issues with bull rushes last year and admittedly worked on his upper body strength this offseason. In his first opportunity to get his hands on a defensive end and be physical, Ogbuehi handled himself well on Sunday in one-on-one, half-line and full 11-on-11 work.

11 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Maybe Burfict owns Mixon on his fantasy team?

"Sorry Gio, but I have Mixon in a PPR league. You gotta go, bro."

The hit wasn't really that low, his helmet was in Gio's ribs, then he slid down:

21bFRMs.jpg

Gio's 5'9" and was squatting while trying to cut left away from the hole, Burfict is 6'1".  Too much higher and he would have been headbutting Gio.  Reminds me of when a batter in baseball squats to shrink their strike zone.

Was hard to even tell from the video that was a "wrap up but don't bring to the ground" drill after a different defender basically sat on Gio after Burfict's initial hit.

I hate to bury a team after two weeks but it appears to me that for Cincinnati, a squad with playoff aspirations, the season is basically already over.  They've lost two home game, are in a division likely to have one if not two (Baltimore - who knows) good teams, and are heading to Green Bay next.  Assuming CIN loses at Green Bay (and they'll be close to double digit dogs in that game), they'll be 0-3 and there's a real likelihood that PIT or BAL (or both) could be 3-0, because

Week 2

Pittsburgh is -4.5 at home v. Minnesota

Baltimore is -9.5 at home v. Cleveland

Week 3

Pittsburgh will be favored at Chicago

Baltimore is playing Jacksonville in London, basically a toss-up game

If Cincy is 0-3 and three games back in their division, they basically need to finish 10-3 to get a wild card.  With the way this offensive line has been playing, plus Dalton's woes, there's no reason to think they could do that.

If Cincy's goose is cooked, how does that affect the team going forward?  More carries for Mixon?  Do they try to trade someone of value before the deadline?  Will they roll out John Ross for 60 snaps a game?

Whatever benefits Mike Brown's pockets. That's the Bengals outlook. Been like that since forever. 

Translation - Marvin Lewis isn't going anywhere.

7 minutes ago, MONEY BALL said:

Whatever benefits Mike Brown's pockets. That's the Bengals outlook. Been like that since forever. 

Translation - Marvin Lewis isn't going anywhere.

If that's all he wants I'll coach the team for 100K per season. That'll save him 4.4 Million right there. 

Well, the first step is always one of the coordinators.

A well-deserved firing.

If I was an AJ Green owner, I'd be very wary and may even be looking to try to sell low/medium on name recognition alone.

Things not looking too promising here.

Something had to be done.  The boo birds were out in the 2nd quarter of the 2nd game of the year.  This is after Dalton had stuff thrown at his head in his home stadium last week.  Sometimes the fans are the ultimate squeaky wheel.

it's officially a lost season for CIN.

Lewis is next.

I think CIN's offense will be similar to last year's - nothing spectacular. 

Good news - it can only go up from 0 TD's :lol:

Bengals promoted QBs coach Bill Lazor to offensive coordinator.

It's a move that shows support for Andy Dalton, replacing fired OC Ken Zampese in favor of Dalton's position coach. Lazor's hands were tied as a short-lived OC with the Dolphins, but he was also working under offensive-minded Joe Philbin, whose affinity was for passing at all costs. At his core, Lazor's roots reside with Joe Gibbs and Chip Kelly. We would expect him to focus on feeding A.J. Green and weed Jeremy Hill out of the RBBC.

2 minutes ago, kwelch said:

Bengals promoted QBs coach Bill Lazor to offensive coordinator.

It's a move that shows support for Andy Dalton, replacing fired OC Ken Zampese in favor of Dalton's position coach. Lazor's hands were tied as a short-lived OC with the Dolphins, but he was also working under offensive-minded Joe Philbin, whose affinity was for passing at all costs. At his core, Lazor's roots reside with Joe Gibbs and Chip Kelly. We would expect him to focus on feeding A.J. Green and weed Jeremy Hill out of the RBBC.

:wub: