Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dark One

FantasyPros Top 400 Worldwide Prospects (Er, make that top 10)

17 posts in this topic

Anyone else extremely disappointed it switched from free in prior years to being behind a paywall this year? The author wrote a big tease on the website trumpeting the list to be published Monday, it didn't get published until late Tuesday evening and then was a bait and switch as there was no previous mention that it would now be a paywall only list save for the top 10:

1. Alex Reyes
2. Shohei Otani

3. Tyler Glasnow

4. Yoan Moncada
5. Victor Robles
6. Lucas Giolito
7. Andrew Benintendi
8. Gleyber Torres
9. Yadier Alvarez
10. Eloy Jimenez

I found last year's top 400 list to be very helpful in uncovering some gems in leagues where our annual drafts are not restricted to signed prospects only, so this was definitely a big disappointment. I understand they have a right to make the info proprietary, I just didn't like how the switch was rolled out.

2 people like this

Well that stinks... good luck with that Fantasy pro's... Like you said it's understandable that they did it.. but if people are paying for prospect coverage I would imagine it's either through Baseball America, Baseball prospectus, or another big time site..  Baseball America + a variety of free websites is all you need for good information. Oh yeah and this forum! 

2 people like this

Yea I'm not gonna knock them for trying to make money because the writers gotta eat and they do provide great information, but i'm not paying $3/month for a service i will only use for the draft.

Agreed Jenks - though what I liked about the Fantasy Pros list was that it emphasized international/college/HS players in addition to the typical highly touted signed prospects in one condensed, comprehensive ranking that was based on potential future fantasy production as opposed to a player's potential real life MLB value. It was tailored to deep dynasty league managers.

I mean, even the switch to a paywall I can understand (and even appreciate), I was just really looking forward to it and then a big tease was posted that it was coming (followed by a delay) without any mention of the format switch. Oh well.

2 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

Yea I'm not gonna knock them for trying to make money because the writers gotta eat and they do provide great information, but i'm not paying $3/month for a service i will only use for the draft.

Sure, I'm not knocking them for trying to make money, just disappointed in how it was handled (and of course, would like to see the list for free, but that's obviously just personal selfishness based on it being free and particularly useful last year).

43 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Anyone else extremely disappointed it switched from free in prior years to being behind a paywall this year? The author wrote a big tease on the website trumpeting the list to be published Monday, it didn't get published until late Tuesday evening and then was a bait and switch as there was no previous mention that it would now be a paywall only list save for the top 10:

1. Alex Reyes
2. Shohei Otani

3. Tyler Glasnow

4. Yoan Moncada
5. Victor Robles
6. Lucas Giolito
7. Andrew Benintendi
8. Gleyber Torres
9. Yadier Alvarez
10. Eloy Jimenez

I found last year's top 400 list to be very helpful in uncovering some gems in leagues where our annual drafts are not restricted to signed prospects only, so this was definitely a big disappointment. I understand they have a right to make the info proprietary, I just didn't like how the switch was rolled out.

i'm not familiar with fantasypros prospect coverage, but i do find it interesting that glasnow, otani, and reyes are all three ranked above moncada. i would like to know how they rank, fantasy based versus real baseball, and to see some of their writings.. though i'm not interested enough to pay for it. ;)

was there some sort of tier breaks before and after glasnow, or is that just a formatting thing on this forum?

FantasyPros for the majority of their rankings culls from a variety of writers from not only the big sites (Yahoo/ESPN/Fox/SI/etc.) but also other favorite smaller sites like Razzball/Fake Teams/Rotoballer/Roto Experts/Fantasy Six Pack/etc.). They then consolidate their rankings into one comprehensive list which you can even tailor to your liking by removing the rankings from sites you don't like and creating your own custom ranking lists. It's a pretty useful site for all major fantasy sports.

With respect to the giant prospect ranking, that one in particular was written by a single author (who did a really nice job, including position rank, age, team or country, ETA to the majors). No tiers, but ranked all the way down through #400 and even included a bunch of honorable mentions. Here's a link to last year's list:

https://www.fantasypros.com/2016/01/top-400-worldwide-mlb-prospects/

And what happened with this year's:

Post #1 from 01/27/2017 (this primer really got me pumped up in anticipation):

https://www.fantasypros.com/2017/01/2017-mlb-top-prospects-primer-worldwide-top-400/

Followed by Post #2 from late last night (01/31/2017):

https://www.fantasypros.com/2017/01/2017-top-mlb-prospects-worldwide-top-400/

1 person likes this

Man that was a pretty bad list last year. Not sure why anybody would pay for this?

Just my take, but the only prospect content I even kinda pay for is Klaw.

1 person likes this

Hey guys, this is Bobby who built the list. Just wanted to leave a few notes in response:

In regards to the build up then paywall--I could have definitely communicated that better, so I sincerely apologize. I've been working on this for a while so was excited to release it as you might imagine and there is nothing wrong with hyping your work if you have the pedestal, but I should have notified everyone of the change in pricing so please forgive me for that omission.

With that being said, you can just pay for one month if you really want to see the list, and it comes with all of the premium goodies, which is what FantasyPros is known for, in fact, some people wonder if it is cheating: 

Any of you can e-mail me (bobby@fantasypros.com) or tweet me (@bobbyfantasypro) specific prospect questions and I'll do the best I can to respond promptly. Additionally, there is plenty of free prospect info on the site:

Top 10s at each position - https://www.fantasypros.com/mlb/rankings/bobby-sylvester.php?position=3B&type=prospect

Top 5 amateur prospects - https://www.fantasypros.com/2017/02/mlb-top-amateur-prospects/

Top 5 international prospects - https://www.fantasypros.com/2017/02/mlb-top-international-prospects/

...and plenty more coming. My podcast also did a full episode with Mike Rosenbaum (formerly Bleacher Report, now MLB.Com) regarding prospects:

https://www.fantasypros.com/baseball-podcast/

Now, for the reasoning behind making it premium:

MLB.com's top 100 list is premium

Baseball America's international list is premium

PerfectGame's amateur list is premium

Mine combines all three types of players and extends to 400

Seeing that there is nothing else like that and these deep mixed lists are on the wishlist of many, it made sense to become premium

Also, I spent quite a bit of time on it, as you might imagine so the company wants to ensure it is a wise investment for me to use that time, and I'm pleased that they did, otherwise I would have had to shut down the project or do a lousy job.

Apparently, some of you think I did a lousy job anyways :P

No hard feelings, that's par for the course with prospect lists and we all have big opinions so I'll defend mine briefly:

Here's my clip on Moncada and why I don't have him as high as other lists: 

4. Yoan Moncada (2B/3B/OF, CHW)

Along with Benintendi, you will find Moncada at the top of several prospect lists. Like Robles, he is oozing with tools and like Torres, he tore up Single-A despite being one of the younger players in the league. He took a year off baseball to move from Cuba, then somehow proceeded to get on-base at a .400 clip, slugging over .500 and stealing 94 bases in his first 187 games. There is good reason as to why the White Sox dealt Chris Sale

to add Moncada to their club. With that being said, his power potential limits his fantasy upside so we aren’t talking about a Mike Trout or Bryce HarperRather, a Carl Crawford like career could be in store for fantasy owners.

As Steven mentioned, there were, of course, mishaps like being too aggressive on Newcomb (although, I'll argue the jury is still out) and Daz Cameron among a handful of others, but you could pull out examples like that from any list. I'm proud, however, of being far ahead of the curve on players like David Dahl, Victor Robles, Yadier Alvarez, Sean Manaea, Vlad Jr, Stephen Gonsalves, Triston McKenzie, Phil Bickford, Josh Staumont and Eloy Jimenez. In fact, our breakout lists (https://www.fantasypros.com/2016/05/mlb-prospects-2016-breakout-hitters/ and https://www.fantasypros.com/2016/05/mlb-prospects-2016-breakout-pitchers/) worked out pretty well, not to mention amateurs and international players like Jason Groome, Riley Pint and the Gurriel brothers being ranked high.

Thank you for the feedback and I hope this list, or at the least, our free content, can be of use to you in your deep leagues.

Bobby Sylvester

6 people like this

@bobbyfantasypros bro, Carl Crawford was fantasy GOLD for his first 8 full years on the Rays. Averaged roughly 13 hr / 50 sb /.300. If Moncada does that x 8 years, literally nobody is disappointed (and I'd argue that's worthy of #1).

Anyways, thanks for the explanation.

1 person likes this

Cheers @bobbyfantasypros - I can absolutely understand the reasoning behind the paywall switch given all the hours of work behind your efforts. As you indicated, it was more or less just the anticipation of seeing of the list (based on how useful I found it last year) to go along with the mouth watering hype in your excellent pre-release write up, followed by a delay in it being posted creating even more anticipation and then ultimately finding out at the end that the full list was behind a paywall without knowing it would be in advance. It was quite the ride, haha.

Anyway, that's certainly very big of you to sign up and apologize for the way it was rolled out - absolutely accepted and your hard work is very appreciated. Even the lists you've been able to share for free have been helpful - looking forward to seeing more and I hope the main prospect article brings a lot of new subscribers to the website.

2 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

@bobbyfantasypros bro, Carl Crawford was fantasy GOLD for his first 8 full years on the Rays. Averaged roughly 13 hr / 50 sb /.300. If Moncada does that x 8 years, literally nobody is disappointed (and I'd argue that's worthy of #1).

Anyways, thanks for the explanation.

somebody will always be disappointed. Billy Hamilton has averaged 57.5 steals the last two years (in 2 down years for steals for MLB) and some people talk about him being a fantasy bust.  

Edited by brockpapersizer

Just now, brockpapersizer said:

somebody will always be disappointed. Billy Hamilton has averaged 57.5 steals the last two years and some people talk about him being a fantasy bust.  

Touche...but I think even the most optimistic Moncada fans wouldn't be disappointed if you told them that for 8 straight years they'll have a top 20 overall fantasy asset. At his peak, Crawford was a first round pick.

1 minute ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Touche...but I think even the most optimistic Moncada fans wouldn't be disappointed if you told them that for 8 straight years they'll have a top 20 overall fantasy asset. At his peak, Crawford was a first round pick.

I don't disagree

Counterpoint: Mike Trout has ruined expectations for every elite prospect not reaching their absolute full potential.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, bobbyfantasypros said:

MLB.com's top 100 list is premium

Um, no it's not?

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017

Yours is the only Top XXX prospects list I'm aware of that charges. Not that you don't have every right to charge, because hey, you gotta eat. Just that this is a poor rationale

Good catch--meant ESPNs:

http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=6172

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/18559233/zips-top-100-mlb-prospects-2017

Re: Moncada -- what Brock said about Trout. Crawford was a great fantasy player--as you said, first round value for most of 8 years--thats impressive, but I see that as Moncada's ceiling, while the three ahead of him have perennial Cy Young candidate ceilings. Granted, Moncada is more polished and has a high floor, but I'll take the upside.

4 minutes ago, bobbyfantasypros said:

Good catch--meant ESPNs:

http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=6172

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/18559233/zips-top-100-mlb-prospects-2017

Re: Moncada -- what Brock said about Trout. Crawford was a great fantasy player--as you said, first round value for most of 8 years--thats impressive, but I see that as Moncada's ceiling, while the three ahead of him have perennial Cy Young candidate ceilings. Granted, Moncada is more polished and has a high floor, but I'll take the upside.

Carl Crawford was more valuable than a perennial Cy Young candidate for fantasy purposes. He was a perennial first round player...to think those three pitchers have ceilings higher than that is to say that they have ceilings higher than Max Scherzer, who is considered a borderline first rounder.

The only pitcher who is more valuable than Crawford was is Kershaw, and he's about as good as anyone the game has ever seen

1 person likes this