Short Porch

Chris Owings 2017 Outlook

Help me out with this one.  Why did Arizona acquire Ketel Marte?  They already have Chris Owings at shortstop.  He hit a respectable 277 with 21 SB and only 2 CS last year. He led the league in triples.  He was only 25 in 2016.  His home/away, lefty/rights, and 1st half/2nd half splits are pretty close.  Now he only hit 5 home runs which is a negative.

Marte is basically the same player.  He will hit between 260 and 270.  He is a switchhitter, but hits RHP pitchers better than LHP.

What I am basically trying to figure out is who is the Diamondbacks starting SS?  If its Owings what role does Marte play next season?

Edited by Short Porch

Yeah just when you think who Arizona will play in any position they go and get more people for that position.  They have the useless Ahmed too.  I hope the new manager starts to reign in this madness some cause add in Drury at second and we have 4 middle infielders.  Getting as bad as their outfield.  And depends on which site you go to who they predict will be playing 2B and SS too.

I wish they would just let Owings (and Drury) play everyday and settle into a routine which all position players love.  They are messing this guy up jerking him around all the time.

19 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah just when you think who Arizona will play in any position they go and get more people for that position.  They have the useless Ahmed too.  I hope the new manager starts to reign in this madness some cause add in Drury at second and we have 4 middle infielders.  Getting as bad as their outfield.  And depends on which site you go to who they predict will be playing 2B and SS too.

I wish they would just let Owings (and Drury) play everyday and settle into a routine which all position players love.  They are messing this guy up jerking him around all the time.

Do they have more middle infielders than last year? Didn't they lose one (Segura) and gain one (Marte)?

They don't seem enamored with Owings. Which is a shame because he's a very nice sleeper on a legit team. They threw him in the OF last year in a panic move after the Pollock injury and it took him time to adjust. Instead of just focusing on his bat he was juggled in and out of the lineup while having to learn a new position. Crazy.

I love him but I have 0 faith in Arizona letting him grow

1 hour ago, PPolanco said:

They don't seem enamored with Owings. Which is a shame because he's a very nice sleeper on a legit team. They threw him in the OF last year in a panic move after the Pollock injury and it took him time to adjust. Instead of just focusing on his bat he was juggled in and out of the lineup while having to learn a new position. Crazy.

I love him but I have 0 faith in Arizona letting him grow

I used too many words about it in the Yasmany Tomas thread but I'll be more succinct with Owings. I'm not carrying forward any philosophy & player usage from the Stewart/Hale regime. I didn't when the GS Warriors went from old school Marc Jackson to Kerr. And I'm not from Stewart/Hale to Hazen/Lovullo. I expect a much more WAR-driven, 'OBP/pitches seen' approach in Phoenix now

6 hours ago, bbythepier said:

I used too many words about it in the Yasmany Tomas thread but I'll be more succinct with Owings. I'm not carrying forward any philosophy & player usage from the Stewart/Hale regime. I didn't when the GS Warriors went from old school Marc Jackson to Kerr. And I'm not from Stewart/Hale to Hazen/Lovullo. I expect a much more WAR-driven, 'OBP/pitches seen' approach in Phoenix now

True. Good point

7 hours ago, bbythepier said:

So is Owings not in line with that skillset?  I was a big Owings breakout potential fan last year, was one of my bold predictions.  

48 minutes ago, parrothead said:

So is Owings not in line with that skillset?  I was a big Owings breakout potential fan last year, was one of my bold predictions.  

I really don't know how they feel about Owings vs K.Marte until camp starts. But Owings' low BB% and career OBP does not resemble a Red Sox approach, where Coach Lovullo comes from. And neither did Segura, but his most recent season made his trade value much higher. I, personally, don't think the inclusion of Marte in the Walker trade was an accident. He exhibited respectable AAA & MLB plate discipline in 2015 (BB% & K%) before cratering to 66 wRC+ last year.

And like Deven Marrero in the Red Sox org, I think Ahmed's days on the 25 man are over. Automatic out. Sept callup, midseason injury callup imo.

Edited by bbythepier

It's hard to ignore the solid start to Owings' season. Going to have to find a way to fit him in at this rate.

12 hours ago, k.k. said:

It's hard to ignore the solid start to Owings' season. Going to have to find a way to fit him in at this rate.

Im feeling the same way. If only he had 2B eligibility I would have already had him.  

9 hours ago, Primetime_21 said:

This guy still getting no love in the forums. I'm thinking he will be a nice bench player for me this year. 

Ahmed cutting into PT. Isn't hitting 2nd on most days. Can't hold much longer.

49 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

Isn't he too good a player not to play 85-90% of the time long term?

1 hour ago, TTRA1N said:

I really can't picture Ahmed taking significant playing time from him in the long-run. If there's no one else that sticks out on the wire, you should hold

19 hours ago, TomBradysCollegeRoommate said:

I really can't picture Ahmed taking significant playing time from him in the long-run. If there's no one else that sticks out on the wire, you should hold

Time to believe it. They like Ahmed defense better. Dropped. 

6 hours ago, TTRA1N said:

Time to believe it. They like Ahmed defense better. Dropped. 

My bad. I didn't see he was starting in RF and batting 2nd when I glanced at line up.