mysonx3

Forrest Whitley - RHP HOU

Good read on Whitley's start last night

Key quote here:

"Basically, I'm reinventing my mechanics. They're a lot different from what they were a couple of years ago, even last year," Whitley said. "It's definitely a bit of an adjustment throwing all the pitches in the zone, but I feel like it all kinda came together tonight. Even when I was out of the zone, I was able to quickly correct it."

1 hour ago, Big League Choo said:

Any idea why he didn't make his scheduled start yesterday?

No idea, but Tyler Ivey threw last night and is listed as today’s starter on their website, so hopefully they just swapped them.

19 hours ago, Ulls55 said:

Very shaky tonight 😭

If he really did alter his mechanics mid-season then patience is going to be important. I think he needs an offseason of health to work on things and settle on his approach. Next year is going to be pretty important for him. 

6 hours ago, thezing1 said:

If he really did alter his mechanics mid-season then patience is going to be important. I think he needs an offseason of health to work on things and settle on his approach. Next year is going to be pretty important for him. 

Pretty much this. Sadly you can pretty much write off 2019 as a wasted year at this point.

Usually the AFL is considered a hitter's paradise,  but after the juiced balls this year at AAA the pitchers might actually prefer it.

On 10/6/2019 at 12:00 AM, hailtoyourvictor said:

How does the fall league compare to regular season AAA?

I've read in a few places that it's comparable to AA, with a little more talent but a little less polish. I don't know if that's based on anything scientific.

I'm most excited that Whitley's strung together back-to-back starts with no walks. He has the stuff to strike out hitters at any level, his command was the issue this year so that's real good to see.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 5:20 PM, SpartyOn4 said:

I've read in a few places that it's comparable to AA, with a little more talent but a little less polish. I don't know if that's based on anything scientific.

I'm most excited that Whitley's strung together back-to-back starts with no walks. He has the stuff to strike out hitters at any level, his command was the issue this year so that's real good to see.

Double A is fairly good comp.  I'd say the average age is younger than that of AA but it's much more highly saturated with top prospects.  So the competition may not be as consistent or as steady as AA but The AFL is made up of a higher % of top prospects. 

The AFL is a very hitter friendly league and there are ton of players who do well hitting or pitching in the AFL and then go on to struggle in AA and AAA the following season.  But there also a bunch of players who do well in the AFL and then make the jump to the big leagues and have successful rookie campaigns the following season.

Edited by FouLLine

So is he a lock to be in the bigs in 2020? Astros are probably losing Cole and Miley. Sanchez has shoulder issues

Urquidy and McCullers probably are SP options but would be 4 SPs with Verlander and Greinke. Astros need to rebuild their staff somewhat.

Despite the struggles this year I still see Whitley as the best SP prospect in a long time. His upside is still higher than anyone I can think of. I have faith that being in the Astros organization he’ll weather the bumps and setbacks

Edited by UberRebel

Josh James was slated to open up as the 5th starter this year until injury so he could be an option as well. I think Urquidy has a spot locked up with Greinke and Verlander, and as long as the Astros feel that McCullers can hold up over the course of a season then I would presume he will be in there as well.