mysonx3

Forrest Whitley - RHP HOU

1 hour ago, Pa.style said:

What are the chance he'll be in the majors next year ?

I have one move left in my pool and considering adding him or Luiz Gohara (keeper league)

If he continues pitching like he has this year, very very good chance. The Astros are known for being very aggressive with hot prospects, actually sometimes like with McCullers and Velasquez, they bring them straight from double A. But I'm guessing we will see Whitley at some point next year as long as he's healthy and dominating

• Like 1

It seems odd to me that they have been having him bounce back and forth between starting and relieving. I dont remember any other teams using this approach. Anyone got insight?

15 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

It seems odd to me that they have been having him bounce back and forth between starting and relieving. I dont remember any other teams using this approach. Anyone got insight?

I remember reading in a couple scouting report on the Verlander trade (discussing Franklin Perez in that case) that the Astros were known for keeping their SP prospects to shorter outings than other organizations, so it's a bit tougher to discern whether their stuff is playing up due to the shorter outings.

You can see in his game logs that Whitley's outings are pretty short, and those relief appearances come once every 3-6 outings (except for two in a row recently) but on schedule for a start. Could be their way of throwing in a breather to avoid injury.

Edited by jorp

17 hours ago, jorp said:

I remember reading in a couple scouting report on the Verlander trade (discussing Franklin Perez in that case) that the Astros were known for keeping their SP prospects to shorter outings than other organizations, so it's a bit tougher to discern whether their stuff is playing up due to the shorter outings.

You can see in his game logs that Whitley's outings are pretty short, and those relief appearances come once every 3-6 outings (except for two in a row recently) but on schedule for a start. Could be their way of throwing in a breather to avoid injury.

Yup the Astros employ a tandem system (piggyback/start one or two games then come out in long relief next time or two continuously) with their pitching prospects below AA. And currently I've seen them use it in certain cases in AA. The tandem system gives them a look at starting and coming in the Middle of the game. It's also a system they believe keeps their young pitchers healthy, limit their innings by slowly increasing them and it also allows them to use more starters. I've always loved the Astros tandem system.

Usually by the time the pitching prospect gets to double A, they aren't on the tandem system anymore unless they were promoted that same year or just in certain cases. You will see the shackles come off on Whitley next year. And like I said before, if he continues pitching the way he has, we'll see Whitley at some point next year. Whether they call him as Ahn SP or RP will depend on the situation. But regardless, a spot start Or a few will happen next year barring injury to Whitley or a compete collapse...

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Like 3

On 9/5/2017 at 3:46 PM, osb_tensor said:

Dodgers do this some.

On 9/5/2017 at 3:46 PM, osb_tensor said:

Here is an old article from 2014 explaining why the Astros started using the tandem system for their affiliates....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/astros-minor-league-tandem-system-worth-watching/

• Like 4

Interesting take from Eric Longenhagen of Fangraphs in this weeks Prospect chat:

1:15
Eric A Longenhagen: I’ll say Robles aaaaaandd Forrest WHitley

1:15
Eric A Longenhagen: To this:

1:16
Christian: Eric who would you pick as the NL and AL Rookie of the years next year?
  • Like 3

I just saw on Twitter that he says he weighs 195 lbs...

I’m not sure I like that. It certainly caught me off guard...especially since he’s 6’7”.

I think I’d like to see him at 235-240.

49 minutes ago, Coach George said:

I just saw on Twitter that he says he weighs 195 lbs...

I’m not sure I like that. It certainly caught me off guard...especially since he’s 6’7”.

I think I’d like to see him at 235-240.

Eh, just tell him to go hang out with Pablo Sandoval.  Then in a year you will be worried he needs to lose weight, heh.

But seriously these guys gain wright as they age and MLB teams have nutrition programs for them.  Benintendi gained a lot of weight in the last off season as I recall under one of these programs.  Whitey is still so young he probably had too big of a last growth spurt that his weight hasn't caught up with him soon.  And lack of weight hasn't hurt Chris Sale aka the human sting bean.  Each player is different after all.

Ha, if it is true I think it funny it is SUCH a big deal for McKenzie, but when it comes to Whitley it is a non factor.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Dirtywater97

1 hour ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Ha, if it is true I think it funny it is SUCH a big deal for McKenzie, but when it comes to Whitley it is a non factor.... :rolleyes:

McKenzie is listed at 6'5", 165. That's a decent gap to Whitley's 6'7", 195.

Interestingly, Whitley lost a ton of weight. I saw his Perfect Game profile from pre-draft had him listed at 250 lb and Fangraphs has him at 240 lbs. I dug some more and found this from last March: https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/qa-with-astros-prospect-forrest-whitley/c-219552462

"MLBPipeline.com: This obviously is the first time we've met, and I have to say that I'm really having trouble believing that you weigh anything close to the 240 pounds you're listed at. What's up with that?

Whitley: I've lost a lot of weight as I've grown taller and learned to improve my body. I'm about 200 pounds now. But, yeah, not too long ago I weighed 260.

The fact that he has had the weight before probably helps in showing that he could add the weight if needed.

• Like 3

It’s hard to compare Whitley and McKenzie...

McKenzie is pencil thin and that could cause some issues. I doubt Whitley is anywhere close to as thin as McKenzie.

On 1/18/2018 at 5:10 PM, jorp said:

McKenzie is listed at 6'5", 165. That's a decent gap to Whitley's 6'7", 195.

Interestingly, Whitley lost a ton of weight. I saw his Perfect Game profile from pre-draft had him listed at 250 lb and Fangraphs has him at 240 lbs. I dug some more and found this from last March: https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/qa-with-astros-prospect-forrest-whitley/c-219552462

"MLBPipeline.com: This obviously is the first time we've met, and I have to say that I'm really having trouble believing that you weigh anything close to the 240 pounds you're listed at. What's up with that?

Whitley: I've lost a lot of weight as I've grown taller and learned to improve my body. I'm about 200 pounds now. But, yeah, not too long ago I weighed 260.

The fact that he has had the weight before probably helps in showing that he could add the weight if needed.

Not really when you factor in about 10lbs per inch. Obviously McKenzie is still lighter, but I just think It's funny how much of a big deal it is to some people. I could care less about weight. Until I see a study supporting one way or another I think It's a bunch of hyperbole.

Whitley is a great prospect regardless of weight, and I don't think it effects pitchers as much as people claim it does.

Anyways, just my 2 cents. I don't really have any desire to debate about the topic much further.

5 hours ago, tucker26 said:

Top pitcher in Baseball America and Klaw’s list too now. 

What is Klaw's List.  I seem to recall looking at it from last year but that's all I remember ... a vague recall because the name Klaw was so odd.  All these lists start to run together after awhile.  Who is Klaw and why do people like or not like his list?  Also where is his list?

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What is Klaw's List.  I seem to recall looking at it from last year but that's all I remember ... a vague recall because the name Klaw was so odd.  All these lists start to run together after awhile.  Who is Klaw and why do people like or not like his list?  Also where is his list?

Keith Law, ESPN

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/22181590/keith-law-2018-top-100-prospects-nos-50-1-introducing-tomorrow-superstars

Edited by elrey

Well looks like he might be up for a cup of coffee in September and possibly a sandwich in August as well.  And it is nice they explained this in advance in case any fantasy owners wonder why Whitley isn't hanging much with the big club in spring training.  Blurb here at Rotoworld:

Astros GM Jeff Luhnow said one of the reasons Forrest Whitley won't be in MLB camp this spring is to keep him fresh for a potential promotion this summer.

"He's going to get some exposure in camp," Luhnow said, "but the reality is there's a good possibility [Whitley] will continue to progress and be an option for us late in the summer, and any time you can conserve some innings in February and March [that] you can deposit into September and October, that's a good thing." Whitley has established himself as one of the best pitching prospects in baseball, and if the Astros are serious about having him contribute down the stretch in 2018, it does make some sense to limit his exposure early on.

Well they are contending for a championship and only have a window for so many years. Service time is not going to be an issue if hes worth of playing.

Oh crap, here is the Rotoworld blurb version:

Astros top pitching prospect Forrest Whitley has been suspended 50 games for a violation of the minor league drug program.

It's unclear what drug he tested positive for. Whitley is considered one of the top prospects in all of baseball and should still be in line to make his major league debut at some point in 2018, though this is obviously a real career hiccup. The 20-year-old right-hander posted a 2.83 ERA with 143 strikeouts in 92 1/3 innings (18 starts, five relief appearances) last season between three different levels of the Astros' minor league system. He finished the year at Double-A Corpus Christi.
Feb 21 - 10:52 AM