mysonx3

Forrest Whitley - RHP HOU

Rumor is that it was adderall.

If it delays his time table, it'll only be slightly.  He should still make this debut this season and help them down the stretch IMO.

I at least hope that Whitley, being in the minors, will keep his NA and not have Yahoo take that designation away from him like they do when a major leaguer is caught.  I forget what they have done in the past and I do NOT need to keep him 50 games on my active roster.

As for a debut not until 2019 I didn't expect him up any earlier anyway.  Or at least hoped they wouldn't bring him up for the cup of coffee routine and screw with my NA slots thing.  It is all about NA slots for me, hah.

PS:  Is adderall the drug for ADD like what Chris Davis takes and forgot to report properly one season?  Though of course adderall is just a rumor like you say.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Not worried about it in the least. If Anything this means he can pitch more in bullpen for the Atros down the home stretch since reaching an innings cap wont be an issue anymore.

• Like 1

I don't really know the specifics to give the right answer.

If it is adderall, he doesn't have ADHD to my knowledge.  Regardless, as long as it's not PEDs, this infraction shouldn't play into his long term outlook.  It was highly unlikely he would have been up before summer at the earliest.  He's also a prized prospect so though he won't be able to play, they'll have a strict regiment for him to follow during his suspension. 

This is news, but not exactly big news.  If there were an opportune time to buy Whitley, maybe a panicky owner could possible be willing to sell at a discount.  Any savvy owner will just ride the wave.

Edited by I like baseball

44 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Well we can stop talking about his for 2018 haha.  2019 debut at best. 

That's just asinine. 2019 at best? They nearly called him up last September. He is gonna miss 50 minor league games, but he hasn't shown he has a lot left to prove down there anyway, elite #'s at every stop. If anything, it will keep him fresh for the fall for a call up. It's extremely unlikely this affects his 2018 ETA. 

• Like 2

Oh crap there goes an active roster slot off all of my dynasty teams as off comes the NA and on goes the Suspended designation.  And boy was Yahoo quick on doing that.  No overnight wait:

Forrest Whitley Hou - SP
Suspended

Geez, Forest, couldn't your friend have handed you an espresso instead.  (Like I buy the help stay awake on the long drive home story).

14 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

That's just asinine. 2019 at best? They nearly called him up last September. He is gonna miss 50 minor league games, but he hasn't shown he has a lot left to prove down there anyway, elite #'s at every stop. If anything, it will keep him fresh for the fall for a call up. It's extremely unlikely this affects his 2018 ETA. 

Actually, rather than extremely unlikely it most probably does affect his ETA.  If he had pitched well in camp and dominated his first few minor league starts, there may have been some momentum to bring him up.  He's not facing competition for essentially 2.5 months of the season.  I would think this absolutely potentially changes his ETA.  I don't think it will impact his overall upside though.

Edited by BigPapi44

7 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Actually, rather than extremely unlikely it most probably does affect his ETA.  If he had pitched well in camp and dominated his first few minor league starts, there may have been some momentum to bring him up.  He's not facing competition for essentially 2.5 months of the season.  I would think this absolutely potentially changes his ETA.  I don't think it will impact his overall upside though.

As far a 2018 ETA, it's completely unaffected by this. 

He's not facing competition? For one, I don't think those skills are going anywhere. For 2, he's not hurt, he can still throw like would have been. College BP's, work facilities against free agent hitters, etc. 

He wasn't going to be up before midsummer anyway. At this point, he's in September callup territory, and this just isn't going to hurt him in that regard. Even an August call up if pitchers are getting worn down. He's still gonna get 50-60 games in the minors, depending on his callup. 

7 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

He's not facing competition? For one, I don't think those skills are going anywhere. For 2, he's not hurt, he can still throw like would have been. College BP's, work facilities against free agent hitters, etc. 

He wasn't going to be up before midsummer anyway. At this point, he's in September callup territory, and this just isn't going to hurt him in that regard. Even an August call up if pitchers are getting worn down. He's still gonna get 50-60 games in the minors, depending on his callup. 

Hooked on phonics.  Your post was about the suspension not impacting his ETA.  Soooo, you are then completely disregarding your earlier post 'they almost called him up last September'.  I think for most that would signal that going into the spring they would be looking at him to fill a role in case of an injury, or if he was dominating and the team was in need to bring him up for a look at some point during the season.  Acknowledging he may be up mid-summer DOES potentially impact his ETA given what's already been discussed.  Again, no impact on Whitley not being a stud or on his ceiling or anything else.

Edited by BigPapi44

Read my previous post. As you said, hooked on phonics.

11 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

I would never speculate a month a prospect is called up in. Best case, he was up mid summer, but very likely not until Sept 1 again unless there was a pressing need. My post was always in regard to his ETA of being up this season, not him Being up in October instead of July. I don't know what role he would have filled, as they're flushed with starters. Verlander/Keuchel/Cole/McCullers/Morton/Peacock/McHugh/Devenski/Martes for starting pitchers. Bullpen arms can be all over the place. Even with something weird in spring training, he would have needed several injuries early to have a shot at an early crack given they are so deep with starting pitching options. Yes, Whitley has a higher long term upside than maybe all of them, but baring something extremely drastic he likely wouldn't have been called upon for a starting gig at any point this season. He'll probably get treated just like Bueheler was for LAD. 

And the "asinine" part was the fact he said 2019 at the earliest. Implying there's not chance Whitley is up this season. That's simply not true. It's extremely realistic he's up this season, and I'd wager he has better odds to be called up for the first time this year as opposed to next. 

Edited by sngehl01

Whitley is supposedly appealing the suspension.

On a related note, people forget that Alex Reyes was once suspended too. Outside of injury risk, everyone thinks he's a stud prospect still.

I don't think this suspension, if upheld, should negatively impact his prospect stock too much. If it does, you might wanna try to trade for him in your league.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

I would never speculate a month a prospect is called up in. Best case, he was up mid summer, but very likely not until Sept 1 again unless there was a pressing need.

Yeah Houston already has 5 good starters in their rotation plus Brad Peacock stuck in  the bullpen.  They'd want to keep Whitley in the minors I'd think so he can keep working on his pitches secondary pitches etc as a starter and not sit around the Astro's bullpen with Peacock.

The main impact for fantasy owners is that he is now going to tie up an active roster spot for 50 days instead of being able to slide him down into a NA slot.

1 hour ago, sngehl01 said:

So it doesn't change 2018 as the year Whitley has his first taste of mlb but I would think any person using common sense believes there is a difference between a Aug/Sept call up and a June/July call up.  Clearly THIS 50 game suspension changes things. 

Edited by unknownrotoguru

With a starting 5 of Keuchel,Cole,Verlander,McCullers,Morton that means that one of them would have to get hurt and they'd have to go through McHugh,Peaccock and Martes in order for Whitley to get a shot. I really don't think this suspension does anything. He's going to get called up august/sep and he's going to be in the bullpen. The one thing it does hurt is how many innings he's going to be allowed to throw in 2019.

• Like 1

Ya'll realize he's only 20 and pitched 94 innings last year, right? 

Had he started in April he was going to have to shut down or have gaps in-between. 50 games makes it really easy to control his innings now. He can Start from the end of may til years end now going on normal rest and build up his strength/stamina

50 minutes ago, unknownrotoguru said:

So it doesn't change 2018 as the year Whitley has his first taste of mlb but I would think any person using common sense believes there is a difference between a Aug/Sept call up and a June/July call up.  Clearly THIS 50 game suspension changes things. 

That's only if you believe he was gonna be up sooner. I don't. Things change, of course, but I think he was destined for a late season call up. Theorhetically, it could affect when his call up date would have been, but I don't think we was going to be up that soon anyway. He's simply not eligible to be up that soon now, not that I think he would have been anyway. Again, pretty much exactly like how LAD handled Buehler. 

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2018/02/22/klawchat-2-22-18/

Jay: If you know, what was the drug Whitley was suspended for, and why all the secrecy? 
Keith Law: I think I know, but I don’t know with enough sourcing to report. I think the secrecy is inadvertent – not a steroid, not weed or coke or something worse, so it doesn’t fit neatly in MLB’s buckets. (It was caffeine.)

1 hour ago, hgh22 said:

Caffeine? Is that really a thing? They would be wearing radioactive suits to handle my pee if caffeine was a banned drug...

I don't see it on the list of MLB banned substances here: http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/prohibited-substances.pdf

I know it is on the NCAA list (or was when I was in school anyway). It's a fairly high amount though. Like the equivalent of drinking 8 cups of coffee within a couple hours or something like that.

36 minutes ago, jorp said:

I don't see it on the list of MLB banned substances here: http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/prohibited-substances.pdf

I know it is on the NCAA list (or was when I was in school anyway). It's a fairly high amount though. Like the equivalent of drinking 8 cups of coffee within a couple hours or something like that.

Which would probably be the amount in some "innocent" stimulant pill.  Of course what was really in his is another story will will probably not ever learn.  It could be an innocent stimulant ... or not.  Weird thing is he says his season was already over when he took it.  Was he shut down early or was it the off season already?  Do pee testers follow minor league players around like their pet dogs?  Because I can't see that caffeine stays in the body that long since and normal caffeine consumption would also leave a trace so how could they tell.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Which would probably be the amount in some "innocent" stimulant pill.  Of course what was really in his is another story will will probably not ever learn.  It could be an innocent stimulant ... or not.  Weird thing is he says his season was already over when he took it.  Was he shut down early or was it the off season already?  Do pee testers follow minor league players around like their pet dogs?  Because I can't see that caffeine stays in the body that long since and normal caffeine consumption would also leave a trace so how could they tell.

Oh, I agree with you. I was reading the post I quoted as not believing that caffeine would be on a PED list. (It isn't on the MLB list, but is considered a PED in some spots.) Even if it was on the MLB list, caffeine doesn't really seem to really fit. Especially if you believe the reports that he took something to help him stay awake driving home after watching a game. That would be some terribly unlucky bad timing to get a random drug test before the caffeine cleared (which like you said, happens pretty quickly).

Edited by jorp
  • Like 1

does anyone think he will be given a shot this year if pitches well after his suspension? this kid looks the reel deal. looks to have the highest ceiling of pitching prospects along with hunter green---tanks