mysonx3

Forrest Whitley - RHP HOU

1 hour ago, merlin401 said:

Only minor nit-pick is he uses a ton of pitches to get through four innings (81 last night). He isn’t walking anyone so why so high? Are people fouling a lot of pitches off? 

Regardless, obviously he is a terrific talent and easily has the best stuff in the minors 

He will learn sequencing and "how to pitch" rather than just throw hard. Then watch out.

• Like 1

Chris O'Leary saying that he is an injury risk- I don't know much about O'Leary's history/accuracy though, but thought it worth mentioning after my experience with Alex Reyes, doh!!

8 hours ago, robbybobby005 said:

Chris O'Leary saying that he is an injury risk- I don't know much about O'Leary's history/accuracy though, but thought it worth mentioning after my experience with Alex Reyes, doh!!

He’s a 20 year old starting pitcher that throws 98-99mph. It’s not a stretch to predict that he might have some arm problems.

Edited by meh2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, robbybobby005 said:

Chris O'Leary says that EVERYONE coming back from TJ is an injury risk. They all display the same "Tommy John Twist" in his eyes. I think he's part self-entitled guru/part scare tactition/part troll.

He of course looks great because he called Reyes displaying signs before his injury...but as he himself has admitted, all pitchers display these signs...And with Reyes, his injury isn't even proven to be related to the issues Chris points to.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 7:41 PM, blinkfan77 said:

He of course looks great because he called Reyes displaying signs before his injury...but as he himself has admitted, all pitchers display these signs

Nope.

That difference is how I evaluate injury risk, in part.

But they are increasingly common because they are increasingly taught.

How is a given pitcher any more/less prone to a lat or oblique injury? Unless you're a knuckleballer every pitcher is pushing the limits of their body.

5 hours ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Why hasn’t he pitched since the 5th?

its his 2nd injury this season and its a strained oblique. im sure you're familiar that oblique=unknown eta. sometimes it could be quick and sometimes it could be a month or two until a player returns from those pesky oblique injuries

With Mccullers looking like a potentially serioud injury the Stros probably move McHugh to the rotation, so any chance Whitley gets the call to fill McHughs long Relief role? Or possibly even Whitley cracks the rotation? 

6 minutes ago, metropolitans said:

With Mccullers looking like a potentially serioud injury the Stros probably move McHugh to the rotation, so any chance Whitley gets the call to fill McHughs long Relief role? Or possibly even Whitley cracks the rotation? 

Doubtful considering he’s injured and hasn’t pitched since July 5th 

https://www.mlb.com/news/forrest-whitley-could-be-in-astros-sept-mix/c-287794324

"He's progressing well and we are expecting him to be back on the original time frame," Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow said on Friday. "He'll be back. He'll be pitching. Hopefully he'll be pitching well and be a guy that we can at least have a conversation about to bring him up here in September."

There's some hope he'll make his debut this year still.

• Thanks 1

Tossed 2 scoreless innings. He walked 2, struck out 2, hit a batter & allowed 0 hits. Threw 35 pitches. He last pitched on 7/5 (strained oblique).

Just happy that he’s back.

• Like 2

Working back up after minor lat injury. 6 K in less than 3 innings ?

headed to Az Fall League. 

Anyone think with a good healthy fall and spring he starts the ‘19 year in majors?

6 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Anyone think with a good healthy fall and spring he starts the ‘19 year in majors?

No.  But I think once the team gets an extra year of control, or worse case, the arbitration thing, he could be up. 

When was the last time a decent quality rookie broke camp with a team anyway?  That could be a great trivia question.

6 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Also keep in mind that Keuchel and Morton are FA after this season.

On 9/22/2018 at 6:43 PM, Sine_cera said:

Also keep in mind that Keuchel and Morton are FA after this season.

Which still means they can just bridge to Whitley later, not right out of spring training.  And the first few weeks there are lots of days off too.  Most teams only go with 4 starters then.  Even IF Whitley comes up with them, no way he breaks camp with them.  An extra year of control is far far more important than a week or two of early play.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

On 9/24/2018 at 8:42 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Which still means they can just bridge to Whitley later, not right out of spring training.  And the first few weeks there are lots of days off too.  Most teams only go with 4 starters then.  Even IF Whitley comes up with them, no way he breaks camp with them.  An extra year of control is far far more important than a week or two of early play.

You are definitely correct.  If a rotation spot opens up, I can see them giving it to Josh James first and then maybe Whitley if they have another spot open when they are ready to call him up.  Josh James would make for an interesting late pick if it comes down to it, and then people high on Whitley can stash him too if they are able.

On 9/27/2018 at 12:04 AM, KilloWertz said:

You are definitely correct.  If a rotation spot opens up, I can see them giving it to Josh James first and then maybe Whitley if they have another spot open when they are ready to call him up.  Josh James would make for an interesting late pick if it comes down to it, and then people high on Whitley can stash him too if they are able.

Where does Framber Valdez figure into this mix/pecking order?  Do you and/or anyone else know?  Because he has looked real good in his time up so far.  Will he be in the rotation to start the season since he was already called up some time ago?

Edited by The Big Bat Theory