mysonx3

Forrest Whitley - RHP HOU

On 2/21/2019 at 7:54 AM, svdude said:

What can we expect from Whitley in 2019?

Whitley was still taking the rust off on the command after coming back from suspension and thus resulted in a 3.76 ERA and 3.8 BB/9; however, his ARI FL stats shows that his command is back and he had an increase of K/9 from his AA season in 2018.

I think he will continue to refine his stuff as losing chunk of last year from the suspension definitely delays his MLB debut. In 2017, Whitley actually had an increase in K/9 and decrease in BB/9 on every level ascend. With Astros seem to have 5 rotation spots filled up in Verlander, Cole, McHugh, James, and probably Valdez, as well as the rumor that Keuchel could still be signed, I don't see the Astros in a hurry of debuting Whitley. I think he starts in AA and he shows his 2017 stuff, he will be sent to AAA; his MLB debut probably will come after the All Star break, unless he is pushing the buttons with his performance and Astros have a immediate need in the rotation due to injury, under-performance...etc.

2017 19   3 Teams 3 Lgs A-A+-AA HOU 5 4 .556 2.83 2.92 23 18 1 0 0 0 92.1 78 30 29 5 34 0 143 5 1 7 380 1.213 7.6 0.5 3.3 13.9 4.21
2017 19 -5.1 Corpus Christi TL AA HOU 0 0   1.84 1.84 4 2 0 0 0 0 14.2 8 3 3 1 4 0 26 1 0 0 56 0.818 4.9 0.6 2.5 16.0 6.50
2017 19 -3.8 Buies Creek CARL A+ HOU 3 1 .750 3.16 3.16 7 6 1 0 0 0 31.1 28 11 11 2 9 0 50 2 0 4 129 1.181 8.0 0.6 2.6 14.4 5.56
2017 19 -2.9 Quad Cities MIDW A HOU 2 3 .400 2.91 3.11 12 10 0 0 0 0 46.1 42 16 15 2 21 0 67 2 1 3 195 1.360 8.2 0.4 4.1 13.0 3.19
2018 20 -4.1 Corpus Christi TL AA HOU 0 2 .000 3.76 3.76 8 8 0 0 0 0 26.1 15 11 11 2 11 0 34 2 0 0 108 0.987 5.1 0.7 3.8 11.6 3.09
2018 20 -3.3 Scottsdale AZFL Fal   1 2 .333 2.42 4.15 6 6 0 0 0 0 26.0 18 12 7 0 7 0 36 0 2 0 103 0.962 6.2 0.0 2.4 12.5 5.14

• Like 1

Whitley should be on the MLB Network soon. Verlander started today and Whitley is supposed to enter at some point. 

Its nice to get to see these guy in spring training.

I have a feeling that he is thinner than people realize.

• Like 1

I was wrong. Whitley actually looked heavier than I expected. I’ve seen him listed at 195. Looked more like 215-220 today. In a good way.

• Like 1

22 pitches today. No hits. No walks.

He also K’d Conforto. That was about as dominant as could be expected. Very impressive. I can definitely see why he is the top prospect arm in baseball.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Coach George said:

22 pitches today. No hits. No walks.

He also K’d Conforto. That was about as dominant as could be expected. Very impressive. I can definitely see why he is the top prospect arm in baseball.

Do you have any info on his specific pitches/types? Do you know how hard he was throwing? Was he providing multiple off-speed offerings? Thanks for sharing George.

Delivery is so clean and balanced. Didn't have a feel for his CU, but CH and esp the cutter he was working on were crisp.

1 hour ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Do you have any info on his specific pitches/types? Do you know how hard he was throwing? Was he providing multiple off-speed offerings? Thanks for sharing George.

I wish these ST games had a radar gun. That’s pretty much the whole reason I was watching. I know Whitley has 4 pitches but I saw fastball, change, and I guess that was a cutter. He could have thrown some sliders in there too. 

I have it on my DVR so I will go back and check on pitch types. 

He was throwing hard but it’d be nice to know how hard.

Edited by Coach George
  • Like 1

IMO, any injury to the current Houston pitchers are irrelevant in regard to Whitley. He is a mid-summer callup at the earliest. They'll want to monitor his innings and make sure he isn't developing bad habits in the first half. They'll save him for the second half or later to bolster the staff.

On 2/25/2019 at 3:38 PM, Coach George said:

I wish these ST games had a radar gun. That’s pretty much the whole reason I was watching. I know Whitley has 4 pitches but I saw fastball, change, and I guess that was a cutter. He could have thrown some sliders in there too. 

I have it on my DVR so I will go back and check on pitch types. 

He was throwing hard but it’d be nice to know how hard.

He actually has 5 pitches the 5th being a screwball.

Who is the last pitching prospect that is better than Whitley?  I'm racking my brain and I'm having a tough time thinking of an arm that I have liked more in the last decade in the prospect world.

I think Whitley is my #2 prospect right now behind Vlad. I'd put him over Tatis because the swing and miss issues are a small red flag. I was slightly alarmed when I saw that his weight had supposedly dropped to 195lbs, but it's really clear to me that he weighs more than that.  He looks good!

I like him more than Giolitio, Urias, Syndergaard, Bundy, T. Walker when they were prospects.  So much can change, but I am really excited to see what Whitley can do.

I'm not comparing him to anyone after they debut...just strictly pitching prospects.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coach George said:

Who is the last pitching prospect that is better than Whitley?  I'm racking my brain and I'm having a tough time thinking of an arm that I have liked more in the last decade in the prospect world.

I think Whitley is my #2 prospect right now behind Vlad. I'd put him over Tatis because the swing and miss issues are a small red flag. I was slightly alarmed when I saw that his weight had supposedly dropped to 195lbs, but it's really clear to me that he weighs more than that.  He looks good!

I like him more than Giolitio, Urias, Syndergaard, Bundy, T. Walker when they were prospects.  So much can change, but I am really excited to see what Whitley can do.

I'm not comparing him to anyone after they debut...just strictly pitching prospects.

Good question. I can only think of Strasburg, right about a decade ago.

48 minutes ago, txrngr34 said:

Good question. I can only think of Strasburg, right about a decade ago.

51 minutes ago, Coach George said:

Alex Reyes

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Alex Reyes

They are similarish. I like Whitley’s body and control more though...

Both got an 80 game ban in the minors...that’s really my only knock on Whitley.

Whitley 12IP  1.50 era    0.75 whip   15 Ks   this spring. I know he's already been reassigned but if he continues to dominate, will we still have to wait until after the ASB to see him in the majors?

On 2/21/2019 at 8:54 AM, svdude said:

What can we expect from Whitley in 2019?

Wondering this as well. His current redraft ADP of 256 (sp #100) isn’t too steep but is he worth holding a bench spot for over  a good portion of the season with his call up date and role upon making it to the bigs uncertain? His innings pitched the last 3 seasons: 18, 91, and 26. So best case scenario maybe his innings are capped around 110- 120 if he stays healthy all season. I can see several different scenarios playing it but I’m most concerned about him pitching about 70 innings in the minors before getting called up for a spot start or two before transitioning the rest of the year as a weapon out of the bullpen. Any other redrafters care to weigh in?

I think McHugh ineffectiveness is the quickest route for Whitley to enter the rotation down the line (aside from an injury in the Houston rotation).

5 hours ago, meh2 said:

Wondering this as well. His current redraft ADP of 256 (sp #100) isn’t too steep but is he worth holding a bench spot for over  a good portion of the season with his call up date and role upon making it to the bigs uncertain? His innings pitched the last 3 seasons: 18, 91, and 26. So best case scenario maybe his innings are capped around 110- 120 if he stays healthy all season. I can see several different scenarios playing it but I’m most concerned about him pitching about 70 innings in the minors before getting called up for a spot start or two before transitioning the rest of the year as a weapon out of the bullpen. Any other redrafters care to weigh in?

Given his inevitable innings limit I'd be wary in a re-draft, unless you have an extra roster spot. IMO. 

• Like 3

Whitley's making his AAA debut Tuesday.  Here's hoping he lights it up, and the Astros' crappy start continues long enough for them to panic and call him up early.

• Like 3

I read quite a bit on this guy. Picked him up yesterday. Is there a timetable for him pitching for the Astros? 

6 hours ago, GeauxLSU said:

I read quite a bit on this guy. Picked him up yesterday. Is there a timetable for him pitching for the Astros? 

Not really. Talent-wise I don't think there's much doubt that he's ready to make an impact.  Problem is he's probably got a pretty significant innings limit this year. So how many does he burn in AAA?  Do they save his innings for so he can be a starter down the stretch or will he need to be long relief? The answer likely depends on how the other guys like Miley/McHugh/Peacock perform and how Whitley does in AAA. 

The good news is that Peacock and the presumptive "Next man up" James have both been pretty weak so far so stay tuned...