mysonx3

Forrest Whitley - RHP HOU

Yeah I'd echo most of what @Baur10says. We really don't know what the plan is...he's the best pitching prospect in the minors and has the sort of talent where he CAN dictate his path by just waxing dudes at AAA. The main rub is how many innings, he missed a ton of dev time last year...it is sort of problematic to think more than 160 or so innings--and even that might be aggressive. So, can the Stros afford to let him hone his stuff in the bigs? Probably is my opinion. Will they? So hard to say. Peacock is best deployed from the pen in 2 inning stints, James can probably get back stretched and be a fine SP--if they want that...I still think if you ignore a few decent arms like; Armenteros/Perez/Rodgers who are all in AAA and can fill innings (though not positive on 40 man statuses) then I still contend Corbin Martin (also in AAA) might be very high on their priorities for MLB work too. Plus they have plenty more talent in AA, lol.

That prob doesn't clear much up, but outside of an injury to a staff member, he can still make his own way with performance...but they got all kinds of options if he does not.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 12:06 PM, Baur10 said:

Not really. Talent-wise I don't think there's much doubt that he's ready to make an impact.  Problem is he's probably got a pretty significant innings limit this year. So how many does he burn in AAA?  Do they save his innings for so he can be a starter down the stretch or will he need to be long relief? The answer likely depends on how the other guys like Miley/McHugh/Peacock perform and how Whitley does in AAA. 

The good news is that Peacock and the presumptive "Next man up" James have both been pretty weak so far so stay tuned... 

Peacock had one bad outing but otherwise has been more than fine.  And he had an outstanding year in 2017 and was only brushed aside because they had too many starters then.  I think he is better long term than McHugh and Miley despite being saddled with the "fifth starter" label right now.

I think one thing we Whitley owners can kind of agree on is that he wouldn't be up BEFORE the June call-ups to gain that extra year of arbitration.  (Well unless the new contract retros those years that is).  Well if aliens abduct several of the current rotation to play on Mars instead I guess he could be.  But Houston has too many short term options not to try and wait until mid-summer etc.

ERA up to 7.71 on the season. 12 ER in 14 IP. Don't think he's coming up anytime soon.

Posted (edited)

Hoping it’s just a blip. Getting offers left and right for him and could bring in quite a haul if I traded

Edited by bjvance5

On 4/29/2019 at 8:18 AM, smeeze said:

ERA up to 7.71 on the season. 12 ER in 14 IP. Don't think he's coming up anytime soon.

Remember the good old days when his ERA was under 10?  (He now sits at 10.43 ERA / 1.70 WHIP)

Command is such an important tool that gets masked by "stuff" far too often in the lower levels. I am starting to think that the upside of a player being realized is most closely tied to their command and hit tool. Without those skills I don't think you can thrive at the highest levels. 

On 5/3 he pitched 0.2 innings and gave up 5 ER. What the hell is going on? Injury? His PEDs wearing off? 

2 hours ago, bjvance5 said:

On 5/3 he pitched 0.2 innings and gave up 5 ER. What the hell is going on? Injury? His PEDs wearing off? 

Appears that way

3 hours ago, bjvance5 said:

So often you don't find out until after the fact. I think it was Taillion who had a weird year or stint in AA or something like that and it came out that they were limiting his slider use to save his arm and develop other pitches and that is why his numbers suffered. I have no idea on Whitley, but nothing would really shock me. 

My thought is the hype around this kid was intense after a pretty disastrous 2018. The suspension. His numbers weren't absurd in AA in the short sample set he gave us. Then right to AAA this year. Seems a bit aggressive and the brakes need to be pumped. 11 walks in 26 AA innings suggests to me that he needed more time at that level to refine command. 

• Like 1

ERA well over 11 as he's currently allowed 5 ER(3 HR) in 2 IP thus far. Honestly wonder if a demotion is in order. He's clearly struggling and the PCL is an incredibly unforgiving environment. Dude barely pitched in Double-A so it may be for the best to send him back there.

• Like 2

Any reports on his stuff diminishing or holding back on certain pitches to develop other offerings?

Another stinker.  Came in in the 4th inning.  4IP 6H 4ER 2BB 4K.  Heard he hit 98 at some point...so there's that.

Up to 10.48 ERA 1.836 WHIP on the year.

Anyone have a clue why all this is happening?  I mean he was the number one pitching prospect and it looks like he didn't hit some mild speed bump but a brick wall this year.

26 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Anyone have a clue why all this is happening?  I mean he was the number one pitching prospect and it looks like he didn't hit some mild speed bump but a brick wall this year.

I do.  It's called baseball.  It's a weird, unpredictable game, that why we love it.  Who knows, maybe he was on roids. Maybe he's partying, maybe he's depressed and he mind is elsewhere. Something's up, that's fo sho

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I went to the game last night. Whitley was getting hit hard but the defense (infield) behind him was trash. They were charged for 2 errors but it could have been 6 or 7 instead. I don't know if it's been an issue all year but it definitely seemed to frustrate Whitley last night. 

Edited by jctexan
  • Thanks 3

Same caveats apply as before.  We have no idea if he's trying to work on a new pitch or avoid another one etc. Sometimes there is more than meets the eye with these minor league pitching numbers.  That being said short of throwing with his left hand I don't see how you fully excuse his downright atrocious numbers so far.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 5:33 PM, Baur10 said:

Same caveats apply as before.  We have no idea if he's trying to work on a new pitch or avoid another one etc. Sometimes there is more than meets the eye with these minor league pitching numbers.  That being said short of throwing with his left hand I don't see how you fully excuse his downright atrocious numbers so far.

I am having such a hard time wrapping my head around this situation......all i heard when i drafted him in my keeper is that hes the best SP prospect this year and maybe ALL TIME.....how do you get from there to where we are now?

Im kinda hoping he has some type of hampering injury....at least that can explain it.

• Haha 1

Probably the 2 most similar pitching prospects to Whitley in the last few years are Giolito and Glasnow. Tall, righty power pitchers with potentially elite stuff and some command questions. Both are starting to realize their upside now but they’ve had significant struggles along the way. So I’m not totally shocked by what Whitley’s going through - the 10+ ERA is a little extreme, but some bumps in the road should be expected.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

When is his next start?

Likely the 5th game after his last start.

• Haha 1

Ugh. 7 ER in 2 innings. This is bizarre. Im not even sure what to do with this guy.