mysonx3

Forrest Whitley - RHP HOU

6 hours ago, machine3 said:

Ugh. 7 ER in 2 innings. This is bizarre. Im not even sure what to do with this guy. 

Uh, he’s not rosterable unless you’re in something other than redraft.

• Haha 1

If you’ve got him in dynasty you just hold. Too much upside to drop or sell low. In redraft he’s not worth owning, probably not in most keeper formats either.

• Haha 1

I love all the hate, this cat does blow. To all the “industry experts” that keep putting these kids up on pedestals, it’s awesome when they’re flat out wrong. 

40 minutes ago, Fantasy_Goat said:

I love all the hate, this cat does blow. To all the “industry experts” that keep putting these kids up on pedestals, it’s awesome when they’re flat out wrong. 

Wildly rooting for the failure of a guy trying to make his dream come true and be a successful MLB pitcher, just to dig at the “industry experts.”

Weird flex, but ok.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thought this analysis from a Baseball America prospect chat was interesting. It matches what @jctexan posted after watching one of his games.

How worried about Forrest Whitley's poor start are you?

Kyle Glaser: It's interesting. I was at Whitley's one bad start in the AFL last year. He was 92-94, slider had nice spin and shape and but he couldn't locate it, and he got very, very frustrated with his defense and kind of lost his composure on the mound. You don't go crazy over it - bad starts happen - but you keep it in the back of your mind. This year, evaluators are seeing a lot of the same at AAA, that 92-94 and not keeping his composure. He's a young kid pitching in an unfavorable environment, so give him time to work through it. You just have to kind of keep in the back of your mind that while there is the super-awesome Forrest Whitley, there is also this version.

A lot of his problem seems mental, although the velo is a little troubling. He's sat 93-97 in the past.

Posted (edited)

I don't think it's a major injury concern. I read this Houston Chronicle article a couple days ago that talked about his struggles.

The general manager acknowledged Whitley has "had some complaints" regarding his physical health, though was coy with any other specifics.

"Every pitcher has had some complaints," Luhnow said. "We're looking at that as a possibility right now. Our trainers are discussing whether there's anything we need to do, give him a blow or if there's anything physically that he needs to address. It's something that we're looking at."

Whitley was placed on the 10-day minor league disabled list twice last season with oblique and lat issues, respectively.

"It's nothing like that," Luhnow said. "I think there's just some arm fatigue, something in that area. There's no pain necessarily, just he's mentioned a couple times some discomfort. Pitchers have that (normally) so we just need to figure out if it's real or what we're going to do about it."

Edited by SpartyOn4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LarryDavid said:

I know kind of a broad question- But anyone trying to buy in dynasty here?

I'll be honest, I sold a few days ago. The upside is just about as high as they come, but if the reports of how mentally weak he is are true, then the chances of him reaching his potential are slim. That's not even mentioning the decreased velocity....

• Like 1

Man wtf happened to this guy? I'm debating dropping him in a limited (2) prospect keeper league for someone who might have more of an impact immediately. Is Forrest even gonna see the majors this year?

I guess that depends on if it was really shoulder fatigue or if it was something more long term. 

Anyone know if velocity charts are available anywhere for that game? Can't seem to find his pitch speed anywhere

On 7/12/2019 at 1:44 PM, IvoryHunter said:

Well...he gave up only one hit...have to look at the positive!

in 3 IP today he had 5 K great. 6 BB not so good.

4 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

in 3 IP today he had 5 K great. 6 BB not so good.

Whitley has faced 25 hitters in his two GCL games. He’s struck out 10 and walked 9. Only 6 put it in play.

Hitters at that level aren’t going to touch him if he just throws strikes but he can’t even do that. I hope he’s not going full Ankiel on us.

Posted (edited)

Whitley moving on to High-A Fayetteville

Forrest Whitley's time in West Palm Beach is nearing an end.

The former first-round pick will make a start for Class A Advanced Fayetteville later this month, general manager Jeff Luhnow said Monday, finishing nearly a two-month "season reset" in Florida for one of baseball's best pitching prospects.

On May 29, after throwing to a 12.21 ERA in eight Triple-A games, Whitley was placed on the injured list with right shoulder fatigue and sent to the Astros' spring training facility in West Palm Beach. Luhnow later termed the time a "season reset" for the lanky 21-year-old righthander once heralded as the sport's best pitching prospects.

"All these guys when they're struggling, it's a combination of mental and physical," Luhnow said. "It's a tough game and we've seen it before, (being) a top prospect is tough physically and mentally. It's a combination, but he's got a good mindset and a good attitude. He certainly has the talent."

Whitley appeared in two Gulf Coast League games earlier this month. Boxscores on the league's official website say he struck out 10 and walked nine across 4⅓ innings, but those statistics are normally unreliable.

Luhnow corrected Whitley's latest line from a July 19 game. Online boxscores say he walked six men in 2⅔ innings. The general manager said Whitley walked only four.

Even if Whitley can find himself again with a full-season affiliate, time appears almost up for him to make a major league impact. Luhnow said Tuesday he hopes Whitley can "finish this year strong and put himself in a good position for next year."

Edited by SpartyOn4

Pretty unrealistic that we see him in MLB this year. I probably give it a 0% chance unless he straight dominates from this point forward until September, which again is unrealistic. 

A 21 year old hard thrower who has pitched minimal innings has shoulder fatigue.  

Bye.

41 minutes ago, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

Anyone get data on his last start?

Data as in a stat line? 3.1 innings. 61 pitches. 37 strikes. 3 hits. 1 bb. 2 er. 2 ks. Not very impressive, but I guess it is progress. That is the line until the Astros come out and say he really walked no one and he K'ed everyone and the hits were errors.