fawkes_mulder

Alex Kirilloff - 1B/OF (Twins)

Don't wanna jump the gun here, cause it's an 18 year old with 6 games and 25 PA...but this guy flat looks like he can hit. 12.0 k% in the small sample, batting .391. Extreme small sample obviously...but I got more to suggest he can hit.

This is a total puff piece, but I found this interesting:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/177437424/home-schooled-alex-kirilloff-a-top-draft-pick/

At age eight, Kirilloff was playing with a 12-year-old team. When he reached ninth grade, he became an instant member on Plum's varsity team, despite never setting foot in one of the school's classrooms.

Not really surprising IMO that he's hitting already as an 18 year old...his whole life he's been playing vs. older competition.

A mainstay on the summer showcase circuit, Kirilloff opened many eyes with his easy power from the left side, winning the home run derby at the Perfect Game All-American Classic in San Diego.

18...looks like he has a good hit tool...might have good power? Samples are extreme here, but he looks like a guy worth speculating on in deep dynasties.

Most recent article on his hot start:

http://triblive.com/sports/otherlocal/10741315-74/kirilloff-elizabethton-game

Named Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Male Athlete of the Year

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/high-school-baseball/2016/07/03/Plum-baseball-player-Kirilloff-selected-P-G-Male-Athlete-of-the-Year/stories/201607030040

6-foot-2, 200-pound outfielder, Kirilloff was the Gatorade Pennsylvania Player of the Year after he batted .524 this season with 16 doubles, five triples, five home runs and 29 RBIs. His slugging percentage was 1.036. But he also pitched and was 6-1 with 67 strikeouts in 42⅔ innings.

High school stats...huge caveat...but I have a hunch that this guy is going to be an MLB .300 hitter (plus some power and all the other good stuff). I know it is way too early, but I don't give a ****. Can't wait to come back to this thread and see how this one turns out in a few years.

• Like 3

I think Kirilloff is going to be a special player. I was watching the draft and couldn't believe he wasn't selected earlier. In my opinion this is one heck of a pick for the Twins, probably the best pick of the draft. He would have been the #2 bat on my board, behind Senzel mainly because of proximity. 

• Like 1

Alex Kirilloff with a HR tonight, now batting .360+ with 4 homeruns in the appalachian league. skipped GCL. 12.1 k%. Not bad for an 18 year old fresh outta high school. Needs to be owned in deep dynasties.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Alex Kirilloff with a HR tonight, now batting .360+ with 4 homeruns in the appalachian league. skipped GCL. 12.1 k%. Not bad for an 18 year old fresh outta high school. Needs to be owned in deep dynasties.

I was fortunate to pick him up just a few days ago when he became available on CBS. CBS added all the 1st rd picks to the database at the same time and most guys were as expected targeting the college players. I picked up Kirilloff along with Delvin Perez and Matt Thaiss. I really like this kid's bat. 

Edited by aeron

Just now, aeron said:

I was fortunate to pick him up just a few days ago when he became available on CBS. CBS added all the 1st rd picks to the database at the same time and most guys were as expected targeting the college players. I picked up Kirilloff along with Delvin Perez and Mike Thaiss. I really like this kid's bat. 

I think it's only a matter of time before this guy gets some love from the publications.

I checked baseball prospectus and the only article I found mentioning him had him as the #9 fantasy prospect from this draft.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=29538

The lead time will probably be extended with Kirilloff, as he’s a cold-weather kid from Pennsylvania, but he has easy plus raw power, a hit tool that projects to at least average, and enough speed to contribute on the bases. Even with the ETA, that’s enough to get him into the top-10 here.

What he's done to start this year is absolutely remarkable. And I believe he has some legitimate power on top of his bat, as the HR derby winner. He could be an absolutely elite fantasy prospect. I'm holding all the way here.

I expect him to finish the year as a top 75 prospect, and that is really conservative in my opinion. I am just as pumped about this kid as I am Robles to be honest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

I hear you! I'm pumped too. Got him and Eloy!

In my other league I almost selected Eloy at the very end of our Minors draft in February, but I changed my mind the last minute and selected Estevan Florial. Kicking myself for that right now to say the least. I expect him to be gone within the first few picks next year. Darn!

He was a late first pick in my 16 team league minors/j2 draft. I had the opportunity to take him twice and ended up with Senzel and Rutherford instead.

no regrets, but I like kirriloff even with the extended proximity

• Like 1

The kid is making a mockery of the APPY, 21 for 44 over his last 10 games... equates to a .477 average. promote the kid already!

• Like 1

August 9 now, still slaying.

.357/.363/.529

He could walk more, sure. But he's only striking out 11.6% of the time. He's hit 5 HR through 34 games. He's not a power guy, but he's not a light hitter either...this guy could be an all around bat. Pick him up! Still not getting hype anywhere yet!

I like him a lot and have seen recent hype surrounding him so I'm surprised he doesn't have a thread. 30+ HR rightfielder who can actually hit. Sounds like a Jay Bruce that doesn't suck

1 hour ago, Solar said:

I just now grabbed him in my semi-casual dynasty league. Amazing lack of hype IMO.

you in my league bruh?

• Like 1

Catching on a bit late with him, but really excited to see where he's assigned and how he looks. He could move pretty fast for a prep bat.

Yuck- basically will lose at least 5 or 6 months (damn near a season) of development. Not ideal but he's still a very exciting prospect.

TJS is a bummer. Not really surprising in retrospect, he was a high school pitcher / 2 way player and played almost year long. He also struggled down the stretch last year with an arm issue as his batting avg. fell from mid 300s to low 300s, and ultimately was shut down. So the warning signs were there.

I still think he's an elite bat first talent likely to be better in fantasy than on the real world lists that factor defense. Just a damper on his ETA.

In deep leagues I do not suggest dropping. Kyle Lewis rehabbed his value just fine after his torn ACL and I think Kiri will follow in Kyle's footsteps.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

Really digging this guy as a mini post hype buy opportunity. I can definitely see him having a good season and getting back into the top 75ish, top 40ish the year after that

Slashing 299/339/551 for the season, and 389/436/750 in May.

His profile reminds me a lot of Jesus Sanchez - corner OF who can make contact and has big power potential but could stand to walk a bit more. The difference is Kirilloff lost a year due to TJ and that's kept him under the radar, but the talent is there for him to make a big move in midseason and next year's rankings.

• Like 5

3-4 tonight with a 3B and HR. That's his 12th straight game with an extra-base hit. Line up to 317/356/618. He's officially my new prospect crush.

• Like 2