Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SpecialFNK

Matt Holliday 2017 Outlook

51 posts in this topic

full time DH for the Yankees?

could that help keep him healthy all season?

he is now 37 years old.

I think he will be a good value play this year.  DH'ing for the Yanks, I would think 25/80 is a relatively safe bet if healthy.  

4 hours ago, parrothead said:

I think he will be a good value play this year.  DH'ing for the Yanks, I would think 25/80 is a relatively safe bet if healthy.  

Yep, I can see him hitting 20+ homers. What spot in the order will he be batting?

6 hours ago, Call me Red said:

Yep, I can see him hitting 20+ homers. What spot in the order will he be batting?

Girardi will probably put him at cleanup to start. But if Bird comes out like he did in 2015, that might flip flop. Girardi put Sanchez there after he started to rake, so he's not gonna just keep underperforming veterans in prime lineup spots anymore imo.

This lineup is a mess...Bird/Holliday at 1B/DH.  Just awful....

1 hour ago, Damn Yankee said:

what is wrong with Bird/Holliday?

a young 1B who has power made for Yankee stadium and a talented experience hitter in Matt (signed a one year deal)

you must remember this isn't the Yankee teams of old where they went out and bought (signed multi-years deal then broke down)

this is a new phase called --- rebuilding

now we need to unload Ellsbury/Gardner/Headley

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

They don't cost 100000000000 dollars. 

My only concern with Holliday whatsoever and I just referenced this in the other thread but some people simply do not like to play DH and their performance does suffer from DH. I think the casual observer always sees DH as an improvement because it lowers injury risk and the idea at least is that they only have to worrry about hitting but plenty of hitters don't feel comfortable in that role. DH'n and the ability to stay focused while doing nothing is a skill of some sorts just like playing first base and Holliday's transition to the position could be a little bit more difficult than we're giving it credit. 

11 minutes ago, taobball said:

My only concern with Holliday whatsoever and I just referenced this in the other thread but some people simply do not like to play DH and their performance does suffer from DH. I think the casual observer always sees DH as an improvement because it lowers injury risk and the idea at least is that they only have to worrry about hitting but plenty of hitters don't feel comfortable in that role. DH'n and the ability to stay focused while doing nothing is a skill of some sorts just like playing first base and Holliday's transition to the position could be a little bit more difficult than we're giving it credit. 

I don't think staying focused will be a problem for Holliday, he's a professional. I've watched him everyday as a Cardinal for the last 7 years, he can handle being a DH. And he is a workout freak, so he will stay in shape despite not playing the field.

46 minutes ago, jimbo504 said:

I don't think staying focused will be a problem for Holliday, he's a professional. I've watched him everyday as a Cardinal for the last 7 years, he can handle being a DH. And he is a workout freak, so he will stay in shape despite not playing the field.

Im not necessarily disagreeing with you. I'm not saying that it's likely he suffers from the DH penalty, just that the DH penalty is something that exists at a level that is statistically significant when looking at MLB hitters as a whole.

In general I agree that Holliday isn't a prime example but this isn't something I'm saying because it's Matt Holliday... I'd have made the equivalent statement in any other thread for a first time DH.

The simple fact of the matter is that I personally believe the ability to DH is a skill and I don't think others may see it that way, and like all other skills you can project how it will play for a particular player but until the player has showcased that skill at the MLB level it's not something I'm 100% willing to believe in. I won't harshly knock Holliday for it and may still value him over the consensus, but the point is the possibility does exist and it will be slightly baked in. Basically I'm aware of it not necessarily adjusting harshly.

the concept is essentially that being ignorant of a thing is not a defense against that thing so I'd rather be aware and bring up the possibility rather than ignore it. 

3 hours ago, shakestreet said:

a young 1B who has power made for Yankee stadium and a talented experience hitter in Matt (signed a one year deal)

you must remember this isn't the Yankee teams of old where they went out and bought (signed multi-years deal then broke down)

this is a new phase called --- rebuilding

Well...I'm rooting for Greg Bird that's for sure...but coming off a torn labrum surgery and missing full year, my expectations are tempered.  Hopefully no Michael Brantley-like setbacks.  A torn labrum is nasty.  I pray he can become a .265 30 HR 90+RBI guy I really do.  I don't know if this is the year that happens.

Do I really need to explain about Holliday and my disappointment with that signing?  Old, has played 180 games over the last two years, nose-diving BA and OBP over the last 4 years...oh, did I mention he's 38 (I think)?  I'd rather have Chris Carter for 1/3rd the price ($3Mil versus $13Mil).  That would have given us $10Mil to spend on the relievers we so desperately need.

Edited by Damn Yankee

3 hours ago, shakestreet said:

and CC...oh, and only one more year of $20Mil payout to AROD! 

:huh:

2 hours ago, taobball said:

I know they don't cost (whatever that number is) I asked the guy why does he think that combo is awful.

your concern is warranted .... and I agree some players have a hard time adjusting to a full-time DH. I am hoping Matt will understand and sees the writing on the wall that this is his chance to keep playing a sport he loves. When Matt signed the contract he was told what his job is going to be in 2017. Him signing with the Yankees I can believe he knows what is his role.

it reads that you think Holliday won't adjust .... I guess the Yankees don't believe what you just wrote

2 hours ago, taobball said:

Im not necessarily disagreeing with you. I'm not saying that it's likely he suffers from the DH penalty, just that the DH penalty is something that exists at a level that is statistically significant when looking at MLB hitters as a whole.

In general I agree that Holliday isn't a prime example but this isn't something I'm saying because it's Matt Holliday... I'd have made the equivalent statement in any other thread for a first time DH.

The simple fact of the matter is that I personally believe the ability to DH is a skill and I don't think others may see it that way, and like all other skills you can project how it will play for a particular player but until the player has showcased that skill at the MLB level it's not something I'm 100% willing to believe in. I won't harshly knock Holliday for it and may still value him over the consensus, but the point is the possibility does exist and it will be slightly baked in. Basically I'm aware of it not necessarily adjusting harshly.

the concept is essentially that being ignorant of a thing is not a defense against that thing so I'd rather be aware and bring up the possibility rather than ignore it. 

veteran players will make adjustments to keep the dream alive

Victor Martinez, Albert Pujols Nelson Cruz Adam Lind  etc.....

1 hour ago, Damn Yankee said:

Well...I'm rooting for Greg Bird that's for sure...but coming off a torn labrum surgery and missing full year, my expectations are tempered.  Hopefully no Michael Brantley-like setbacks.  A torn labrum is nasty.  I pray he can become a .265 30 HR 90+RBI guy I really do.  I don't know if this is the year that happens.

Do I really need to explain about Holliday and my disappointment with that signing?  Old, has played 180 games over the last two years, nose-diving BA and OBP over the last 4 years...oh, did I mention he's 38 (I think)?  I'd rather have Chris Carter for 1/3rd the price ($3Mil versus $13Mil).  That would have given us $10Mil to spend on the relievers we so desperately need.

The Yankees brass felt Holliday was the better signing than Carter .... that is good enough for me.

Just remember Carter hasn't sign anywhere yet...  and you already have him getting only 3M. I find that hilarious 

to me I thought the Yankee bullpen was our strong suit with Chapman/Betances/Clippard --- sprinkle in two lefties --Tommy Layne & Chasen Shreve.

7 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

The Yankees brass felt Holliday was the better signing than Carter .... that is good enough for me.

Just remember Carter hasn't sign anywhere yet...  and you already have him getting only 3M. I find that hilarious 

to me I thought the Yankee bullpen was our strong suit with Chapman/Betances/Clippard --- sprinkle in two lefties --Tommy Layne & Chasen Shreve.

Carter scored $2.5Mil last year and jacked 41 HR's.  I figured he'd get a raise to $3Mil...even with 200k's and a .220 average.  Maybe we can get him cheaper...making my anti-Holliday arguement even stronger IMO.

The Yankee's are looking to shore up relievers...I've read multiple places.  Here's a link that mentions it:

Trade the junk

1 minute ago, Damn Yankee said:

Carter scored $2.5Mil last year and jacked 41 HR's.  I figured he'd get a raise to $3Mil...even with 200k's and a .220 average.  Maybe we can get him cheaper...making my anti-Holliday arguement even stronger IMO.

The Yankee's are looking to shore up relievers...I've read multiple places.  Here's a link that mentions it:

Trade the junk

your argument is flawed because they already signed Matt Holliday .... you need to face the facts

rumors ain't the truth ... i can link rumors that are coming out of my @&& about teams and what trades they should make

one Yankee to the other Yankee fan --- you out of your mind

8 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

your argument is flawed because they already signed Matt Holliday .... you need to face the facts

rumors ain't the truth ... i can link rumors that are coming out of my @&& about teams and what trades they should make

Did the yanks sign Carter one minute after you posted this?

Congrats, you just played yourself.

5 people like this

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

I think I see the problem here...you think I'm arguing with you.  I'm not.  I hope and pray that Greg Bird and Matt Holliday light it up this year...I'm not convinced they will (less convince about Holliday being productive the entire year), and I'm not sure the Yankees are considering their new interest in Chris Carter.  

You said in the Greg Bird thread on the news that the Yankees are interested in Carter:

"love the Yankees and want them to compete every year, so Carter would help, I also want Greg Bird to develop so he needs to play on a regular basis.

torn up inside on this news since we already signed Matt Holliday to DH"

I agree with you that Carter would help.  I do not agree however that this is bad news considering that we already signed Holliday.  I'm just saying I wish we signed Carter instead of Holliday that's all.  It's just my opinion...right or wrong.  He's cheaper and younger and less injury prone at the cost of more K's and lower average.  $10Mil+ to sign someone else though...and we need a lot more help.  That's my opinion...but I'm just an armchair GM.  You don't feel that way...well, not completely...I get it.  You can stop trying to convince me...I get your point of view, I just don't agree....completely.

4 minutes ago, bbythepier said:

LOL...DAMN, 1 year for...what for it...$3Mil!  LMAO.  

I'm out of my mind....

3 people like this

10 minutes ago, bbythepier said:

I was talking about his link ... why don't you read the damn thing

trade rumors about trading Castro, Gardner & Headley

7 minutes ago, Damn Yankee said:

LOL...DAMN, 1 year for...what for it...$3Mil!  LMAO.  

I'm out of my mind....

I bow down

what is tonights powerball numbers ?

go buy a couple

38 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Yep, pretty hilarious

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

22 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

Yep, pretty hilarious

11C8aDrbZItu0g.gif

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Damn Yankee said:

I'm sure they'll buy a new one next season. 

I think Holliday will actually help the Yankees this year, but from an experience standpoint not a fantasy standpoint. Especially with Carter now signed, I don't think Holliday can be a real fantasy consideration unless its an AL only league. 

1 person likes this