Sign in to follow this  
My Dinner With Andre

CTE could end the game of Football as we know it

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

 

No,  it's not a fix for your entire family.  But what it did was get my Dad out of poverty and by extension put me in the fortunate position of not being born into poverty.  Instead I grew up middle class and have the opportunity to move higher up the economic food chain per se.  He broke the cycle.  And that's really the key,  someone has to break the cycle.  

 

Banking on a pro sports career is a very risky proposition.  There are other alternatives.  And the more role models from outside sports these kids see the better their chances.

Same with my dad- he was a Navy pilot who grew up on south side of Chicago.   A wise decision long-term. 

 

Try telling that to a 17 year old though.  

Especially one who's grown up idolizing Beckham and AB etc...

 

Football is here to stay for a long...long time my friends.  Hopefully they can continue to improve safety technology

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good friend of mine suffers from CTE and it is definitely a life wrecker. The worst part is how quality of life is so hampered, if it merely shortened your life I think a lot of athletes would be more okay with the balance of the scales.

 

3 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Try telling that to a 17 year old though.  

Especially one who's grown up idolizing Beckham and AB etc...

What sucks is that it can affect these kids before they have the life experience to truly understand the consequences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are plenty of very dangerous, life threatening jobs that people continue to do every year.  Many of those jobs have to be done though, unlike football.  Football has the fame though and as long and there is fame and fortune along with a fan base it will always be here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the NFL has to do to negate any potential CTE issues interfering with the future of football is guarantee lifetime medical care for players who achieve a certain baseline (say three years in the league) and put disclaimers in all contracts that state the obvious: concussions are possible and have long-term effects. Its all about transparency and responsibility. Then if athletes choose to make a few million in a few years to set their families knowing the risks involved, so be it. The NFL investing a few million of their billions into lifelong medical coverage for the employees isn't too much to ask for our entertainment and their billions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dabeesta17 said:

All the NFL has to do to negate any potential CTE issues interfering with the future of football is guarantee lifetime medical care for players who achieve a certain baseline (say three years in the league) and put disclaimers in all contracts that state the obvious: concussions are possible and have long-term effects. Its all about transparency and responsibility. Then if athletes choose to make a few million in a few years to set their families knowing the risks involved, so be it. The NFL investing a few million of their billions into lifelong medical coverage for the employees isn't too much to ask for our entertainment and their billions.

 

Instead they invest millions into research for better helmets that will never stop concussions or prevent CTE.  They are just throwing money away right now in order to show the public that they are trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CTE is a horrible thing.  Has any data ever been presented on how prevalent it really is in the NFl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cowboy5xsbs said:

CTE is a horrible thing.  Has any data ever been presented on how prevalent it really is in the NFl.

 

I'm not so sure they can determine that right now.  It doesn't seem they ever know for sure until someone passes away and they do an autopsy.  The ones that can be diagnosed with it now are probably too far along to really be helped that much.  This is what they should be investing money into, not new equipment or rule changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man this is unfortunate.  Probably within our lifetimes the game will be unrecognizable.  I guess discuss NFL football while you can?  Or switch to following baseball - which also has concussion issues.

 

But seriously, unless something changes dramatically, no one is going to care about American football as anything more than a WWE-esque diversion.

Edited by BMcP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BMcP said:

Man this is unfortunate.  Probably within our lifetimes the game will be unrecognizable.  I guess discuss NFL football while you can?  Or switch to following baseball - which also has concussion issues.

 

But seriously, unless something changes dramatically, no one is going to care about American football as anything more than a WWE-esque diversion.

+1

The only thing that will change is the individual decision to play or not to play. The violent nature of the game is what sells and pays the bills, the demand for it will not change, whether the NFL is the provider or not.

Edited by psygolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2017 at 9:43 AM, My Dinner With Andre said:

What's your opinion of current and ex players saying they wouldn't, or are not, letting the children play football?

 

That their wives are wearing the pants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

 

I'm not so sure they can determine that right now.  It doesn't seem they ever know for sure until someone passes away and they do an autopsy.  The ones that can be diagnosed with it now are probably too far along to really be helped that much.  This is what they should be investing money into, not new equipment or rule changes.

 

Let me get this straight:   You want the NFL to spend millions exposing a problem that will bring them nothing but further criticism.  And possibly kill their business.   While not investing any money to improve the safety tech- which can actually make a tangible difference.  

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

 

Let me get this straight:   You want the NFL to spend millions exposing a problem that will bring them nothing but further criticism.  And possibly kill their business.   While not investing any money to improve the safety tech- which can actually make a tangible difference.  

 

 

 

 

 

I'd prefer they actually spend money on something that can help make difference.  I've heard enough to know that no amount equipment improvements will stop concussions and CTE.  I don't expect them to do anything to hurt their image and that's why I think they put so much emphasis on improving equipment.  To me that's just something to make the public feel better about the NFL trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

 

I'd prefer they actually spend money on something that can help make difference.  I've heard enough to know that no amount equipment improvements will stop concussions and CTE.  I don't expect them to do anything to hurt their image and that's why I think they put so much emphasis on improving equipment.  To me that's just something to make the public feel better about the NFL trying.

 

There's plenty of room for innovation and tech development.    It is the single defining characteristic of the human race.    

Look at how much the training of athletes has changed-  bigger stronger

faster by LEAPS AND BOUNDS from the leather helmet days.  Can u imagine them wearing 1950's era gear now?

  

Without the funding and support of the NFL, there is no reason for tech companies to invest in helmets with independent plates or mouthguards that can sense changes in breathing associated with concussions.   Thats just the tip of the iceberg-  who knows what they will come up in the next 50 years...

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

 

There's plenty of room for innovation and tech development.    It is the single defining characteristic of the human race.    

Look at how much the training of athletes has changed-  bigger stronger

faster by LEAPS AND BOUNDS from the leather helmet days.  Can u imagine them wearing 1950's era gear now?

  

Without the funding and support of the NFL, there is no reason for tech companies to invest in helmets with independent plates or mouthguards that can sense changes in breathing associated with concussions.   Thats just the tip of the iceberg-  who knows what they will come up in the next 50 years...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You're right, technology has come a long way but tell me how this have lowered concussions and prevented CTE.  A new helmet will not prevent a concussion or CTE.  I seriously don't think it's possible.  As long as guys are hitting each other at the speed and force they are there will always be concussions and CTE.  Even if you were covered in bubble wrap you could still get concussions.

 

The only way to prevent any of it is to stop the brain from bouncing around in the skull.  You find a way to do that and you'll fix the problem.  A helmet won't stop that from happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

 

You're right, technology has come a long way but tell me how this have lowered concussions and prevented CTE.  A new helmet will not prevent a concussion or CTE.  I seriously don't think it's possible.  As long as guys are hitting each other at the speed and force they are there will always be concussions and CTE.  Even if you were covered in bubble wrap you could still get concussions.

 

The only way to prevent any of it is to stop the brain from bouncing around in the skull.  You find a way to do that and you'll fix the problem.  A helmet won't stop that from happening.

 

I don't follow the logic.   Because we can't stop EVERY concussion we should stop improving the design of safety gear?

Pretty arrogant to think you know what is and isn't possible in 2065.   

 

Bad publicly is often the catalyst for positive change-  so the fact the NFL needed its balls strung to the wall as a reminder to keep heavily funding it is no surprise.   

 

Dumping money into identifying more case examples is a job for lawyers....we already know the cause and the need for improvement.    

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

 

There's plenty of room for innovation and tech development.    It is the single defining characteristic of the human race.    

Look at how much the training of athletes has changed-  bigger stronger

faster by LEAPS AND BOUNDS from the leather helmet days.  Can u imagine them wearing 1950's era gear now?

  

Without the funding and support of the NFL, there is no reason for tech companies to invest in helmets with independent plates or mouthguards that can sense changes in breathing associated with concussions.   Thats just the tip of the iceberg-  who knows what they will come up in the next 50 years...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They should be doing both.  The tech improvements and the support for their former players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

 

I don't follow the logic.   Because we can't stop EVERY concussion we should stop improving the design of safety gear?

Pretty arrogant to think you know what is and isn't possible in 2065.   

 

Bad publicly is often the catalyst for positive change-  so the fact the NFL needed its balls strung to the wall as a reminder to keep heavily funding it is no surprise.   

 

Dumping money into identifying more case examples is a job for lawyers....we already know the cause and the need for improvement.    

 

 

 

There is absolutely no problem with investing money in improving equipment and I would never want them to stop doing that.  What I'm saying is that it's foolish for allocate the majority of money towards just that and say that's how you're working towards solving the issue.

 

Knowing what we know right now of how the body works and how concussions and CTE occur it seems to be pretty common sense that a helmet will not prevent the human brain from moving inside the skull and getting bruised.  This is why I think more resource need to be put toward the medical side of it and once more is discovered from that they can improve more on equipment.  The science behind how the body works and develops CTE needs to be done before the equipment can be perfected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a new helmet that is coming out that looks to be getting closer to preventing concussions and looks pretty cool.  I'm not sure you'll ever be able to prevent sub-concussive hits though.  Here's a video about the helmet.

 

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/zero-1-football-helmet-helps-prevent-concussions/

<script src="//content.jwplatform.com/players/tcUJWPg7-83w7PVgg.js"></script>

Edited by Hawkeye21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

There is a new helmet that is coming out that looks to be getting closer to preventing concussions and looks pretty cool.  I'm not sure you'll ever be able to prevent sub-concussive hits though.  Here's a video about the helmet.

 

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/zero-1-football-helmet-helps-prevent-concussions/

<script src="//content.jwplatform.com/players/tcUJWPg7-83w7PVgg.js"></script>

 

I saw that- VICIS looks very promising.   They just released their next gen helmet- will be tested this winter. 

http://www.geekwire.com/2017/vicis-raises-another-4m-prepares-equip-teams-high-tech-football-helmet/

 

 

We're definitely due for a major helmet redesign, and it's not  going to solve 100% of concussions...but if we keep making incremental improvements it very well could save football longterm.   It's got to be well funded and actively supported by the league.  You don't go from horse drawn carriages to bullet trains overnight...

 

Screen-Shot-2014-11-12-at-10.42.05-AM-62

Edited by Impreza178

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

 

I saw that- VICIS looks very promising.   They just released their next gen helmet- will be tested this winter. 

http://www.geekwire.com/2017/vicis-raises-another-4m-prepares-equip-teams-high-tech-football-helmet/

 

 

We're definitely due for a major helmet redesign, and it's not  going to solve 100% of concussions...but if we keep making incremental improvements it very well could save football longterm.   It's got to be well funded and actively supported by the league.  You don't go from horse drawn carriages to bullet trains overnight...

 

Screen-Shot-2014-11-12-at-10.42.05-AM-62

 

I'm not arguing that there haven't been improvements or even that the NFL could be at risk of going away due to injuries.  All I've been trying to say is that the problem is not going to go away.  They are not going to be able to stop concussions and CTE but that's OK.  Everything we do in life has risks but the NFL just needs to acknowledge it and take care of their employees during and after their careers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

There is a new helmet that is coming out that looks to be getting closer to preventing concussions and looks pretty cool.  I'm not sure you'll ever be able to prevent sub-concussive hits though.  Here's a video about the helmet.

 

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/zero-1-football-helmet-helps-prevent-concussions/

<script src="//content.jwplatform.com/players/tcUJWPg7-83w7PVgg.js"></script>

 

Does the company have a contract with the NFL? I'd like to hear from people who don't stand to gain millions of dollars if this new helmet is widely adopted. 

 

I've seen this song and dance before with Riddell helmets a decade ago, which were supposedly concussion-proof and vouched for by the corrrupt "expert neurosurgeon" Dr. Joseph Maroon and published in a journal that was a schill for the NFL until it's "jock sniffing" editor-in-chief was rightly fired for colluding with the league. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the NFL was investing in them along with Staubach.  Apparently Washington and Oregon used them at the start of last season and they had Vicis take them back due to them being too uncomfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sport is similar to gladiators to a smaller degree but of course no one will admit it. Obviously NFL players aren't literally forced to play nor!are the consequences nearly as severe but they are similar to an extent.

 

We just love watching humans fling each other at one another. Most people dislike the rule changes and would jump out of their seat if a guys helmets rammed into each other at a combined speed of 40 MPH. Not out of disgust but excitement and thrill. Those two guys will probably be dead in 20 years. Maybe not physically but mentally. Yeah we are quite ****** up aren't we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

The sport is similar to gladiators to a smaller degree but of course no one will admit it. Obviously NFL players aren't literally forced to play nor!are the consequences nearly as severe but they are similar to an extent.

 

We just love watching humans fling each other at one another. Most people dislike the rule changes and would jump out of their seat if a guys helmets rammed into each other at a combined speed of 40 MPH. Not out of disgust but excitement and thrill. Those two guys will probably be dead in 20 years. Maybe not physically but mentally. Yeah we are quite ****** up aren't we?

 

I have to strongly disagree that football is like gladiators in any degree.  MMA, boxing and wrestling are similar to gladiators so would you say football is similar to those sports as well?  Not even close.  Yes, we enjoy the collisions but no one enjoys seeing players get hurt or knocked out.  Most fans enjoy seeing an amazing catch like what Julio Jones did in the Super Bowl or seeing Brady put together a game winning drive or a player like Barry Sanders juke people out of their shoes.  Being physical is just a part of football, it's not the main draw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.