Sign in to follow this  
My Dinner With Andre

CTE could end the game of Football as we know it

All of this aside,

The ones here that have expressed the most outrage over how the NFL has been addressing the issue of CTE, are now fine with doctor-labeled players at risk continuing their endeavors on the gridiron as long as THEY sign off on any future health claim that involve head trauma...right!?

What kind of increase in malpractice insurance does one think these doctors, who are stamping these players ok to return to the field w/o risks, will face?

Though the amount of trauma needed is not known, what at least is agreed upon by all researching CTE, is that those who've they found to be suffering from it have all been subject to repetitive brain trauma, mild and/or severe, over a long career (boxing, football, hockey).

Maybe what needs to be instituted, instead of a waiver, is a max. year (or games) a person can participate before the NFL steps in with a new "For Your Own Good Tilt"...a Logan's Run bell that goes off for those playing contact sports.

5-7 yrs? ...100-150 football games?

As long as you can still sign up to go to war, knowing the health risks and without having to sign a waiver forfeiting any future health benefits because you knew the risks and wanted to do it anyway (not that veteran benefits are anything to write home about anyway, but one issue at a time), then you should be able to sign up to play football (for a heck of a lot greater compensation, I might add), knowing the health risks and without having to sign a waiver forfeiting any future health benefits because you knew the risks and wanted to do it anyway.

If you want to play football, you may suffer any number of detrimental health effects, up to and including paralysis, psychological degradations, and death--but we'll give you a million dollars.

Your call.

As long as you can still sign up to go to war, knowing the health risks and without having to sign a waiver forfeiting any future health benefits because you knew the risks and wanted to do it anyway (not that veteran benefits are anything to write home about anyway, but one issue at a time), then you should be able to sign up to play football (for a heck of a lot greater compensation, I might add), knowing the health risks and without having to sign a waiver forfeiting any future health benefits because you knew the risks and wanted to do it anyway.

If you want to play football, you may suffer any number of detrimental health effects, up to and including paralysis, psychological degradations, and death--but we'll give you a million dollars.

Your call.

Agree fully, I had to sign a waiver in order for my son to play high school football...not sure if I had already mention this, maybe too many hits to the helmet myself.

Although, he was not asked to sign on with a players union - would the union need to be equally corrupt as the owners side in order for our proposed "Waiver Era" period of the NFL to begin?

Edited by psygolf

I'd have preferred Omalu study the positive/negative effects of wearing a helmet big enough to accommodate an abundance of dreads.

Edited by psygolf

Story on CTE featuring Tony Dorsett was featured on CBS Sunday Morning this morning...worth watching.

Your call.

Agree fully, I had to sign a waiver in order for my son to play high school football...not sure if I had already mention this, maybe too many hits to the helmet myself.

Although, he was not asked to sign on with a players union - would the union need to be equally corrupt as the owners side in order for our proposed "Waiver Era" period of the NFL to begin?

I'm gonna go with "YES" to the too many hits to the helmet...LOL

You have once again destroyed your opposition due to endless patience and an indomitable will :D

anigif_enhanced-buzz-19817-1377626837-4.

Go Broncos

Your call.

I'm gonna go with "YES" to the too many hits to the helmet...LOL

You have once again destroyed your opposition due to endless patience and an indomitable will :D

anigif_enhanced-buzz-19817-1377626837-4.

Go Broncos

Prez...I'm scared to mention that when I started playing football, if your helmet was too tight, the coach would pull out his pocket knife and slice a little foam out of the front & have you try it back on.

Can certainly believe that. I played competitive hockey from age 12 through college. Had more than one concussion.

My nephew is 11 and just started playing- it's so different how they treat safety gear now.

It was like u said- got your bell rung. Shake it off and get back in there.

Different times, my friend.

Not going to read back through all the pages, so if this was mentioned I am sorry. The bad part of the NFL was the DR examining the player who might have had a concussion was employed directly by the team.

With the status of being the team Dr, sideline view of the game, and being paid by the team are you going to rule someone unfit to play from a possible concussion? Rule a star player out and the next week you are watching the game from your coach at home.

What will be interesting IF all the attention that it has gotten recently, players after say 2015 have less problems or not. And 2015 is an arbitrary number

Not going to read back through all the pages, so if this was mentioned I am sorry. The bad part of the NFL was the DR examining the player who might have had a concussion was employed directly by the team.

With the status of being the team Dr, sideline view of the game, and being paid by the team are you going to rule someone unfit to play from a possible concussion? Rule a star player out and the next week you are watching the game from your coach at home.

What will be interesting IF all the attention that it has gotten recently, players after say 2015 have less problems or not. And 2015 is an arbitrary number

Part of the consequences of the CTE explosion is that doctors have to be independent from NFL teams in administering on-field concussion tests to players and clearing players who have concussions.

Part of the consequences of the CTE explosion is that doctors have to be independent from NFL teams in administering on-field concussion tests to players and clearing players who have concussions.

Star players still sneak thru...Edelman in last year's SB...Cam in an earlier game when they were trying to keep their streak alive.

Star players still sneak thru...Edelman in last year's SB...Cam in an earlier game when they were trying to keep their streak alive.

Don't forget Russell Wilson in last year's NFC title game. The system still has holes, but is much better than it was 5 years ago.

Don't forget Russell Wilson in last year's NFC title game. The system still has holes, but is much better than it was 5 years ago.

Concussions down 35% in '15

That is why I used the word was (past tense) rather then is still a problem.

Topical:

Co-worker was informed a couple of days ago that his cousin's 16 year old son committed suicide by shooting himself. He had a pretty serious concussion from a water-skiing accident a few years ago, he recovered to what seemed full health, but the entire family all commented that he never acted like the same boy...moody, aggressive, in & out of trouble all of a sudden, and kicked out of several schools.

There are brain injuries other than CTE.

Not going to read back through all the pages, so if this was mentioned I am sorry.

If you have time, you should go back and read through the entire thread. I just did and found it both informative and entertaining. IMO one of the best, if not, the best thread on the forums. I find Psygolf's ability to stay lucid and coherent, while still coming across as the lovable "Get off my lawn, back in my day" old man fascinating. lol

My two boys aren't playing. What's the point? They're not going pro. For fun? There's dozens of sports they can play that won't cause their brain to swell from repeatedly getting slammed against the side of their skull.

I feel for these former NFL athletes having issues. The understanding of the risks weren't there when they began playing. I really feel for the ones who played HS and college football and never quite made it in the NFL, and are dealing with the health issues without the payday.

Edited by owenmills

"Concussions down 35% in '15" - Psygolf

Not sure if u saw this Psy, but the new data suggests just the opposite. Concussions UP 32% in 2015.

A result of lowering the diagnosis threshold, or a worsening problem?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14672860/nfl-says-diagnosed-concussions-way-season

Edited by impreza187

Not sure if u saw this Psy, but the new data suggests just the opposite. Concussions UP 32% in 2015.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14672860/nfl-says-diagnosed-concussions-way-season

From the article:

"Among the possible explanations Miller mentioned were a doubling in the number of players screened for possible concussions"

If you increase the screenings by 100%, but concussions only increase by 32% you probably don't have a worsening problem.

From the article:

"Among the possible explanations Miller mentioned were a doubling in the number of players screened for possible concussions"

If you increase the screenings by 100%, but concussions only increase by 32% you probably don't have a worsening problem.

If that's the case....you can go ahead and throw out all figures that we had prior to 2015. That's like moving a weather station and reporting that snow has increased by 70% that year.

From the article:

Sounds like fewer players with concussions are being left out of the analysis. So the current rates are probably closer to the real rate of concussion. Likely the older lower rates were falsely low because many people with concussions weren't getting screened.

We know Dorsett has documented CTE, do most would guess OJ might.

So why bring up OJ if you are not going to claim it caused his criminal behavior? Because Omalu is every bit intoxicated with media attention as the people he says are "intoxicated with football"