Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SpecialFNK

Ender Inciarte 2017 Outlook

8 posts in this topic

leadoff hitter for the Braves.

1st half- .227/.294/.306/.599/ (.255 BABIP)

2nd half- .341/.396/.440/.836/ (.387 BABIP)

I don't think he is as bad as he was in the 1st half, and not as good as he was in the 2nd half.

this from CBS..

Ender Inciarte's elite glove was ahead of his bat once again in 2016, but he still contributed enough to be useful in most formats. He hit the disabled list a week into the season with a groin injury and was very slow to return to form when he got healthy. He limped into the break with a .227/.294/.306 line but still managed eight steals on 11 attempts. After the break, he looked much more like the guy we saw for Arizona in 2015, as he hit .341/.396/.440 the rest of the way while stealing another eight bases on 12 attempts. He also more than doubled the 26 runs scored before the break with 59 runs in the second half. The Braves were sold on his all-around skill set and inked him to a five-year, $30.5 million extension during the offseason. He should be the leadoff hitter for the retooled Atlanta lineup in 2017, and if he can avoid injury and play in 150-plus games, he could break the 30-steal plateau, flirt with 100 runs and post a batting average around .290.

What are most thinking this guy can do in Atlanta this year? Seems reasonable to expect .290-85-5-40-25. Might not be a bad OF5 if you need speed to round out an OF. He might even be able to push 100 Rs this year...had 85 in 131 games last season. 

16 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

What are most thinking this guy can do in Atlanta this year? Seems reasonable to expect .290-85-5-40-25. Might not be a bad OF5 if you need speed to round out an OF. He might even be able to push 100 Rs this year...had 85 in 131 games last season. 

Love him. True 3 cat (runs, avg, steal) guys are so underrrated esp if the steals projection between 20-30.

Inciarte, Andrus, Kinsler. League winners. Easiest path the value.

I really like Inciarte this year not only because of his skills but also because of the skills around him. The Braves lineup is going to surprise some people this year. They're filled with guys who get on base at a decent clip and hit well in the right situations. Right now here's how the lineup projects along with their 2016 OBP...

Inciarte .351

Garcia .311

Freeman .400

Kemp .304

Phillips .320

Markakis .346

Swanson .361

Flowers .357

I wouldn't be surprised to see either Swanson or Phillips slide into that 2 hole. Markakis is another candidate for that role but I doubt they put 3 lefties at the top of the order. I think the ideal lineup for them goes like this...

Inciarte

Swanson

Freeman

Kemp

Markakis

Phillips

Garcia

Flowers

Either way, Inciarte is in front of a few guys that can hit and have hit well with runners in scoring position throughout their careers. Freeman slashes .308/.431/.510 w/RISP and Kemp slashes .279/.350/.485 w/RISP throughout their careers. To take it a step further, other guys in the lineup that could hit anywhere in the top 2-5 spots have some pretty impressive numbers as well. Markakis has a .288/.374/.425 line w/RISP and, though it's a small sample size, Swanson slashed .270/.370/.324 in 28 games last year w/RISP. Each of these 4 players numbers are even better than this if you are just looking at hitting with runners on base. This along with the fact that Inciarte has an OBP of .335 since his 2014 call-up (.351 last year) should mean he can easily reach 85 runs as his floor. I would think 100 is not out of the question barring health. Add that to the fact that he's got a minimum of 20 SB in him with the likelihood of reaching closer to 30 this guy is very underrated. His current ADP based on FantasyPros consensus rankings is 217. I'll most likely reach for him according to this ADP and I'll be very happy having him as my 4th OF when he could very well produce like a solid OF3.

My only issue with him is that in both 15 and 16 he had nagging hammy issues. Each time he missed about a month and it affected his abilities even longer. His value depends on his legs and he goes the fantasy bench when he has leg issues.

7 minutes ago, Squeeealer said:

My only issue with him is that in both 15 and 16 he had nagging hammy issues. Each time he missed about a month and it affected his abilities even longer. His value depends on his legs and he goes the fantasy bench when he has leg issues.

I understand the concern about that but think of it this way. Most likely if you're drafting him anywhere between picks 180-210 then it's really not going to hurt you that much if he misses time. You probably already have most, if not all, of your OF drafted and you're just looking for bench bats at this point. Plus if you have a DL spot you can just replace him for a couple weeks without having to drop his production.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

I really like Inciarte this year not only because of his skills but also because of the skills around him. The Braves lineup is going to surprise some people this year. They're filled with guys who get on base at a decent clip and hit well in the right situations. Right now here's how the lineup projects along with their 2016 OBP...

Inciarte .351

Garcia .311

Freeman .400

Kemp .304

Phillips .320

Markakis .346

Swanson .361

Flowers .357

I wouldn't be surprised to see either Swanson or Phillips slide into that 2 hole. Markakis is another candidate for that role but I doubt they put 3 lefties at the top of the order. I think the ideal lineup for them goes like this...

Inciarte

Swanson

Freeman

Kemp

Markakis

Phillips

Garcia

Flowers

Either way, Inciarte is in front of a few guys that can hit and have hit well with runners in scoring position throughout their careers. Freeman slashes .308/.431/.510 w/RISP and Kemp slashes .279/.350/.485 w/RISP throughout their careers. To take it a step further, other guys in the lineup that could hit anywhere in the top 2-5 spots have some pretty impressive numbers as well. Markakis has a .288/.374/.425 line w/RISP and, though it's a small sample size, Swanson slashed .270/.370/.324 in 28 games last year w/RISP. Each of these 4 players numbers are even better than this if you are just looking at hitting with runners on base. This along with the fact that Inciarte has an OBP of .335 since his 2014 call-up (.351 last year) should mean he can easily reach 85 runs as his floor. I would think 100 is not out of the question barring health. Add that to the fact that he's got a minimum of 20 SB in him with the likelihood of reaching closer to 30 this guy is very underrated. His current ADP based on FantasyPros consensus rankings is 217. I'll most likely reach for him according to this ADP and I'll be very happy having him as my 4th OF when he could very well produce like a solid OF3.

i'm an inciarte fan, believing he will provide value to fantasy managers this season, depending on where he's drafted and the league setup.

that being said... using past data regarding RISP to make future assumptions/projections is a really bad idea. RISP isn't a stat that correlates well year to year. i can't find the article i was looking for, it was on fangraphs and it related to the cardinals team from maybe 3-5 years ago that had some crazy high numbers with RISP, but it basically debunked the fact that clutch hitting exists.

here are a couple of similar articles:

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2015/5/11/8577943/baseball-clutch-hitting-visualized

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/clutch-baseball-teams-arent-clutch-baseball-teams/

i like everything you wrote, but i would suggest using regular slash numbers for those players you mentioned instead of RISP.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

I understand the concern about that but think of it this way. Most likely if you're drafting him anywhere between picks 180-210 then it's really not going to hurt you that much if he misses time. You probably already have most, if not all, of your OF drafted and you're just looking for bench bats at this point. Plus if you have a DL spot you can just replace him for a couple weeks without having to drop his production.

If he gets hurt as a late round pick you can just DL him or drop him and wait till he gets healthy again

Now if he doesn't get hurt and if he produces like we think he can well you got yourself a guy who will out produce his draft position