FlashGordon401

Todd Gurley 2017 Season Outlook

312 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Gohawks said:

That's a little too much for sure. Richardson was next level bad. 3 YPC second year. Pathetic.

Gurley isn't insanely far back though.

Its not the ypc that made TRich bad. It was the fact he ran into his own linemen and continuously missed wide open lanes. He is the quintessential example of having poor vision. 

back to the trich- gurley comparisons huh?  Dudes do not have similar run styles at all.. but lets keep up with the lazy comparison simply because gurley struggled...its easy to find a guy that was supposed to be good but wasn't and compare him to gurley because of gurley's bad year.  That's just lazy..

1 person likes this

Rams are really starting to address their O-Line and Blocking.

Things are starting to look very good for Gurley

Edited by ponza88

On 3/7/2017 at 8:24 AM, Rizzle630 said:

back to the trich- gurley comparisons huh?  Dudes do not have similar run styles at all.. but lets keep up with the lazy comparison simply because gurley struggled...its easy to find a guy that was supposed to be good but wasn't and compare him to gurley because of gurley's bad year.  That's just lazy..

There is no denying that Gurley is a Marshawn Lynchian Beast.  Yards after contact are unbelievable.

His issues last year were a combination of blocking and vision.  

McVay's (Head Coach) background is a TE coach, which makes sense seeing how he utilized TEs in WASH.  No help.

Matt LaFleur's (New OC) background is 100% QB coach.  No help.

Gurley requested another chance with his RB coach, Skip Peete.  He's still there.  Good sign.  It suggests Gurley is taking responsibility for last year, and he wants to fix that.

It's all up to the o-line, Skip Peete, and Todd Gurley in 2017. 

I'll be taking a close look at their schedule before fantasy draft.

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-rams/post/_/id/33005/todd-gurley-wanted-another-chance-with-rams-rb-coach

Week 4:

For now, the Rams can only deal with what is in front of them. And here it is: Only Adrian Peterson, who suffered a torn meniscus in his right knee during Week 2, ranks lower than Gurley in both rushing yards per carry and average yards before first contact. One season removed from finishing third in rushing yards as a rookie, Gurley has carried the ball 82 times for a mere 216 yards.

Week 7:

75.7% of Gurley's yards this year have come after contact. Highest rate in the league.

Aaron Kromer, wherever he's been has gotten big rushing attack going. As soon as I heard that Kromer was hired, I called Todd and told him to expect a 1500 yard year"
~Heath Evans / NFL Fantasy Live

I'm thinking more around 2,000. LET'S GO!

1 person likes this

Happy they signed Whitworth.

Happy they moved Robinson inside.  

Upgrade at two spots already...

2 people like this

42 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Happy they signed Whitworth.

Happy they moved Robinson inside.  

Upgrade at two spots already...

Same! If we get Groy at C, that's even better news.

A revamped O-Line with Kromer will do wonders for Goff & Gurley.

13 hours ago, ponza88 said:

Same! If we get Groy at C, that's even better news.

A revamped O-Line with Kromer will do wonders for Goff & Gurley.

When can we expect to find out about Groy?  This OL is really coming together, wouldn't mind using a day 3 pick or two to see if we can strike some gold in the later rounds.  

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, smeeze said:

When can we expect to find out about Groy?  This OL is really coming together, wouldn't mind using a day 3 pick or two to see if we can strike some gold in the later rounds.  

Right now actually...

Bills are matching the RFA Sheet. No biggie, there's plenty of other options. With Kromer and our additions this summer, I really like Gurley hitting RB1 status.

I agree with you too, I think we're going to target a receiver... Juju or Godwin in the 2nd, then fill out our defense / line with promising rookies. This is a great year for defense. 

We're gonna get a C and probably another CB or two to coach up.

Edited by ponza88

If John Sullivan gets signed (they're hosting him now!)... and he can get his health back atleast a little, this would do WONDERS for Rams' OL.

They signed Dunbar. All the evidence I need to confirm they don't view Gurley as a three-down back. 

22 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

They signed Dunbar. All the evidence I need to confirm they don't view Gurley as a three-down back. 

Compelling evidence LOL.

2 people like this

8 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Cunningham is a FA, I think it more so points to them letting him go, you know, the RB that should be cutting into Gurley's work (previous narrative). 

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

Cunningham is a FA, I think it more so points to them letting him go, you know, the RB that should be cutting into Gurley's work (previous narrative). 

When signing guys like Dunbar make you think less of a Gurley, I need a stiff drink. lol

Who do they have behind Gurley? Not sure they even have anyone but Gurley and Dunbar. 

1 minute ago, Mavis said:

When signing guys like Dunbar make you think less of a Gurley, I need a stiff drink. lol

Who do they have behind Gurley? Not sure they even have anyone but Gurley and Dunbar. 

I was mocking a previous narrative on the boards. I think they'll be riding into the season with Gurley/Dunbar/Brown. Malcolm Brown being the main benefactor if Gurley goes down.

5 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

I was mocking a previous narrative on the boards. I think they'll be riding into the season with Gurley/Dunbar/Brown. Malcolm Brown being the main benefactor if Gurley goes down.

I agree, I read the comment above you were responding too, I wanted to quote that but still getting familiar.

Gurley will get the ball as many times as he can is what my belief is, what he will do with it is a different question. 

So where does Gurley fall 2nd rd top of the 3rd at worst? So many guys were burned by him last season so i doubt if the hunger will be there for those nursing bad memories.

Hard to gather from this thread is the overall sentiment is he is a good rb on a terrible team or he is was an overhyped rb that was exposed in spite of being on a bad team.

Edited by dashoe
1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, dashoe said:

So where does Gurley fall 2nd rd top of the 3rd at worst? So many guys were burned by him last season so i doubt if the hunger will be there for those nursing bad memories.

Hard to gather from this thread is the overall sentiment is he is a good rb on a terrible team or he is was an overhyped rb that was exposed in spite of being on a bad team.

Yeah that sounds about right.   After Miller,  before Ware 

2 people like this

27 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I didn't own Gurley anywhere last year, but you didn't need to own him to know how bad it was.  4.8 YPC in 2015, to 3.2 YPC in 2016.  Lots of changes for the organization, the coaching, the personnel ....  it's really really hard to project with any degree of certainty what Gurley is going to do.  That alone provides risk that might turn people off in the 3rd round.

That said, I agree with Imprezza that between Miller and Ware seems right.  I might still take Ware before Gurley (if KC doesn't add a good RB in the draft) just for the safety factor alone, depending what kind of league I'm in.  I have things broken out like this for the time being: (Zeke, DJ, Bell), (Gordon, McCoy, Murray, Howard, Freeman), (Ajayi, Ingram, Hyde), (Miller, Gurley, Ware), (Anderson, Crowell, Montgomery, Gore).  Any of the guys in Gurley's tier could break out into mid-range RB1 status, but will probably finish as RB10-15.

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Half his yards last season were after contact.  His blocking was horrible.  Also some indecision/hesitation behind the line.

New head coach is a TEs coach.  

New OC is QBs coach.  

Gurley asked to keep his RBs coach on the roster.  He's still there.

The new o-line coach came from the Bills.  They led the league in yards and average.  Blocking should get better.

He also got the Bengals left tackle in free agency.  

VERY FEW true 3 down feature/goal line backs in the league.  I won't hesitate taking him early 2nd round.  

I'm a ceiling drafter.  (I'll back him up with like 3 other RB 2s.)

Of course Goof sucks (lol) and they don't have any receivers.  I'd feel better if they signed Cutler to start.  Sad, I know.

Hyde was a stud in a similar situation last year (crap passing game).  He is a power runner (SF is changing to zone blocking this year).  

I don't know what blocking scheme the Rams plan on using yet.  

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, jmausen said:

VERY FEW true 3 down feature/goal line backs in the league.  I won't hesitate taking him early 2nd round.

You had me convinced up to here.  Early 2nd round?  Yikes.

Agree though it should be a big bounce back year for him.

13 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

You had me convinced up to here.  Early 2nd round?  Yikes.

Agree though it should be a big bounce back year for him.

It's the gut wrenching "this guy won't come back to me, do I pull the trigger and hope he ends up being a top 5 RB" call.

Need to know who's on your list heading into the draft.  We draw cards then start picking.  If I'm a late pick, I'll take a top WR then 3 RBs.   

Rounds 5 & 6 will be best available WR and RB again.  

By then, all the TE guessing should be done, so I can get one of those.  Barnidge won't be blocking this year because the o-line is a ton better.  He'll be cheap.  Think of him like Eifert 2 years ago, or Barnidge 2 years ago.....  I'll get Higbee to back him up.  Eifert's the guy you don't want.  His has no o-line this year.  He's in blocker purgatory.

Couple rounds later, everyone has taken their "favorite QBs".  Not the "best QBs", but the ones they like the most.  QBs 5-19 are all pretty much the same.

Top 3 RBs are gone in the first 4 picks.  Everyone else is a guess.  I prefer high ceilings with insurance.

Edited by jmausen
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, jmausen said:

It's the gut wrenching "this guy won't come back to me, do I pull the trigger and hope he ends up being a top 5 RB" call.

Need to know who's on your list heading into the draft.  We draw cards then start picking.  If I'm a late pick, I'll take a top WR then 3 RBs.   

Rounds 5 & 6 will be best available WR and RB again.  

By then, all the TE guessing should be done, so I can get one of those.  Barnidge won't be blocking this year because the o-line is a ton better.  He'll be cheap.  Think of him like Eifert 2 years ago, or Barnidge 2 years ago.....  I'll get Higbee to back him up.  Eifert's the guy you don't want.  His has no o-line this year.  He's in blocker purgatory.

Couple rounds later, everyone has taken their "favorite QBs".  Not the "best QBs", but the ones they like the most.  QBs 5-19 are all pretty much the same.

Top 3 RBs are gone in the first 4 picks.  Everyone else is a guess.  I prefer high ceilings with insurance.

Barnidge....

The reason why he was good in 2015 was he was competing for targets with only Travis Benjamin in an offense that threw the ball 35+ times a game with McCown at the helm. Now he has Coleman and Britt to also compete with and a lot of other young Wr's that the Browns drafted. And the QB situation is murky. He's one of the worst TE sleepers going into 2017. 

31 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

Barnidge....

The reason why he was good in 2015 was he was competing for targets with only Travis Benjamin in an offense that threw the ball 35+ times a game with McCown at the helm. Now he has Coleman and Britt to also compete with and a lot of other young Wr's that the Browns drafted. And the QB situation is murky. He's one of the worst TE sleepers going into 2017. 

Britt blew out both his knees in Tennessee and somehow managed to get himself a Duane Bowe deal in Cleveland.  Good for him!

Coleman will be the #1 "deep target", yes.

What eFing QB do the Browns have that can manage more than a check down pass?

Third and long = Barnidge

He's also their best red zone target. 

You can waste a 4th round pick on whatever 700/7 TE you want.  I'll get mine later....after I grab a couple more RB2s.

This is a Gurley thread.  Start a Barnidge thread and bash him there.

Edited by jmausen

I think Gurley is the most polarizing player this year for fantasy.  We all know the talent level is there, and we saw it on display 2 years ago. However, we all saw last year how quickly this guy can sink your team.  I think Gurley has some positive regression this year and should at least be a bit better than last year.  The Rams have improved their O-line, which is a plus.  However, what's stopping teams from stacking the box again this year?  Is Goff any better than Keenum last year?  I'm not so sure.  Woods and Austin on the outside don't exactly scream threat to me.  

So my question becomes...do the new OL additions and new coaches outweigh a lackluster supporting cast?  Why should we believe in Gurley to be so much better than 2016?  I see a lot of the same problems this year that were there last year, and I imagine teams will still sell out 110% to stop Gurley and make Goff beat them.  Now perhaps the new OL and coach will propel the running game, but I'm not sure.  Thoughts?