FlashGordon401

LeSean McCoy 2017 Season Outlook

96 posts in this topic

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/03/lesean-mccoy-says-hes-leagues-best-back-ranks-the-others/

Monster year for Shady in 2016 (1267 RuYD / 13 RuTD / 50 REC / 1 RecTD). With new HC Sean McDermott and OC Rick Dennison, should we expect some regression from McCoy or will he live up to his likely first-round price-tag in 2017 fantasy drafts?

Edited by FlashGordon401

The coaching changes bode well for Shady. Dennison is a Shanahan/Kubiak deciple, so he should play to Shady's strengths instead of using him like a hammer. If the Bills end up keeping Tyrod, Dennison will use his skills too on bootlegs and rollouts, so the offense in general has the potential to be pretty good.

We know McDermott is a defensive-minded coach, and I love the Leslie Frazier hire for DC. Usually teams focused on defense like to run the ball, so again, this bodes well for Shady.

My biggest concerns with Shady right now are his durability and uncertainty at the QB position. He probably figures to be a late 1st, early 2nd round pick in most leagues.

4 people like this

Biggest concern is that he turns 29 in July.  29 for an RB is oooooold.  Gotta be honest, was surprised he did what he did last year at 28.  I'm not a fan of RBs in that 27, 28, 29+ yo range.  Still have nightmares of the way Shaun Alexander went from over 1800 yards and 27 tds to never seeing 900 yds or more than 7 tds again once he turned 28.  Now, that all said, Shady was the RB3 overall when it mattered most, weeks 12 - 16, averaging 27.14 pts/game.  He helped win me a championship in a 10 team dynasty.  I hope he has another year in him, maybe two, but I don't think we'll ever see him make a run like that again.  I'm thinking he's becoming more of a bye week / injury filler.  I do hope he proves me wrong, i just get nervous about old RBs, especially ones with past deep tissue injuries.  I cringe every time I hear Shady and hamstring in the same sentence.  :-P

Edited by Bill's Blitzkrieg
1 person likes this

On 2/11/2017 at 9:00 AM, Bill's Blitzkrieg said:

I'm thinking he's becoming more of a bye week / injury filler.  I do hope he proves me wrong, i just get nervous about old RBs, especially ones with past deep tissue injuries.  I cringe every time I hear Shady and hamstring in the same sentence.  :-P

Maybe in 8 team leagues otherwise there is no way you'll get him on your squad as a bye week or injury fill in. 

2 people like this

39 minutes ago, Bartos said:

Maybe in 8 team leagues otherwise there is no way you'll get him on your squad as a bye week or injury fill in. 

Yeah, seriously, he's gonna be gone mid second round at the latest, a far cry from being bye week filler.

3 people like this

He can go one of 3 ways:
The most likely is that he declines as he passes over into the dreaded age 29 season but retains RB2 status based on volume and TDs.
The moderately likely is that he continues his success from last season as an RB1 but may possibly run out of gas at some point in the season.
The least likely but still possible scenario is that he has a fate similar to a fellow dynamic but tiny workhorse, Jamaal Charles.

We'll have to wait and see. I would say he is a candidate to be overdrafted in rounds 2 & 3 but with some of the garbage backs rising to the first round every year, he may be a value once again relative to those other RBs.

2 people like this

10 minutes ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

He can go one of 3 ways:
The most likely is that he declines as he passes over into the dreaded age 29 season but retains RB2 status based on volume and TDs.
The moderately likely is that he continues his success from last season as an RB1 but may possibly run out of gas at some point in the season.
The least likely but still possible scenario is that he has a fate similar to a fellow dynamic but tiny workhorse, Jamaal Charles.

We'll have to wait and see. I would say he is a candidate to be overdrafted in rounds 2 & 3 but with some of the garbage backs rising to the first round every year, he may be a value once again relative to those other RBs.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with a first round ADP.  I actually expect it.

3 people like this

8 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with a first round ADP.  I actually expect it.

It would seem that most have him in their top 5 at RB as of now. Me included. His age is concerning, and durability issues, but i cant help loving what i watched last year. When hes healthy, hes one of the best. Didnt seem to run out of steam towards the end either. Id say hes headlining the 2nd tier of guys like Gordon, Ajayi, Howard, Freeman for me right now, tho admittedly i havent put to much thought into ranking next year just yet. A studdly rookie situation or offseason changes could mold things drastically.

Edited by vikingapocalypse
1 person likes this

Shady could end up having another great season and it wouldn't shock anyone, but for fantasy purposes I doubt that I would be willing to draft him in the first round of redraft leagues because of the risk factor involved. Not only is he 29 years old, he also has been hit by several niggling injuries over the past few years that don't seem to go away for whatever reason. 

If he can stay healthy I think he'll have a repeat of this past season. He should be the focal point of the offense once more.

But... Must... Stay... Healthy...

Think we saw his peak last year where the stars were aligned and his body held up. Not sure I would want to invest in the same thing happening again (I own him in dynasty and am thinking about selling) . He does have one benefit though in having a very solid handcuff, so you should do ok if you can snag Gilislee.

1 person likes this

He's only 28 tho.  I think he has a solid 2 more years before it might become a little more of a question mark.. But I don't think one has to worry going into this year. 

16 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

He's only 28 tho.  I think he has a solid 2 more years before it might become a little more of a question mark.. But I don't think one has to worry going into this year. 

What are my odds of pairing him with Bell again this season, Ben?  :D

There should be a rule against that lol

20754170.gif

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

If Bell gets suspended again during the offseason, you'll have a very good shot of doing that. 

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

20754170.gif

Haha,  gonna be at about zero odds Bri :D

1 person likes this

Some interesting stuff surrounding mccoy recently..

"Earlier this month, NFL.com’s Gregg Rosenthal listed 30 AFC players who could be released by their respective teams. McCoy, of course, was his candidate to be released by the Bills."

"McCoy is a very awkward fit in new coordinator Rick Dennison‘s one-cut running attack. The Bills could decide to risk letting McCoy go a year too early rather than hold on to him a year too long. If the team designates McCoy a post-June 1 cut, they get $6.25 million in cap room and — more importantly — save $6 million in cash to spend elsewhere."

"Bills running back LeSean McCoy created a stir on social media with a tweet that “Buffalo was so special . . . thanks for everything.” Many are saying (sad!) that this is a farewell from McCoy"

Anybody actually think lesean is playing for a different team in 2017? I would be surprised. 

2 people like this

I'd be surprised, alot of that stuff is just fluff to me... I don't see shady going anywhere. Either way, I want me some shady as I do every year :wub:

Speaking on PFT Live, agent Drew Rosenhaus said he is "flabbergasted" by rumors the Bills plan to trade or release LeSean McCoy.

McCoy's big cap number ($8.875 million) has sparked speculation the new coaching staff might look for a cheaper option, and Shady, perhaps unintentionally, put fuel to the fire by tweeting, "Buffalo was so special ... thanks for everything," on Sunday. McCoy appears to have been tweeting about an appearance at an autograph signing, however, and Rosenhaus said he believes McCoy will play for the Bills for "many years to come." It makes little sense for a team with few offensive weapons and who might be without a quarterback in the near future to move on from a player of McCoy's caliber.

New head coach was CAR defensive coordinator from 2011-2016.  He's not calling the plays.

New offensive coordinator was the OC in DEN the last 2 seasons. (oh crap, which RB do I start?)

Rex Ryan brought in McCoy.  Playoffs or bust.  Busted.

McCoy regression this year.

Buy Mike Gillislee late:

5'11" - 218 lbs

Led the league (2016) with 5.7 ypc: 577 yards and 8 TDs

Double Ouch!

Freeman's fullback is going to Buffalo, where he will lead block for Mike Tolbert on the goal line?

Wow, how do you stop that?

Bills agreed to terms with FB Mike Tolbert, formerly of the Panthers.

It makes little sense on a day where the Bills have already signed Patrick DiMarco, but ESPN's Jordan Raanan reports Tolbert is coming aboard as a running back. Whatever his position is listed as, it's a puzzling move. The Bills must view Tolbert as a battering ram behind LeSean McCoy, who has had struggles at the goal line. Tolbert played for new coach Sean McDermott in Carolina.

41 minutes ago, jmausen said:

Double Ouch!

Freeman's fullback is going to Buffalo, where he will lead block for Mike Tolbert on the goal line?

Wow, how do you stop that?

Bills agreed to terms with FB Mike Tolbert, formerly of the Panthers.

It makes little sense on a day where the Bills have already signed Patrick DiMarco, but ESPN's Jordan Raanan reports Tolbert is coming aboard as a running back. Whatever his position is listed as, it's a puzzling move. The Bills must view Tolbert as a battering ram behind LeSean McCoy, who has had struggles at the goal line. Tolbert played for new coach Sean McDermott in Carolina.

Potential writing on the wall for gillislee leaving? An interesting move none-the-less. Not sure how this all shakes out, but could definatley hurt mccoys stock.

10 hours ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Potential writing on the wall for gillislee leaving? An interesting move none-the-less. Not sure how this all shakes out, but could definatley hurt mccoys stock.

BriefWhisperedIlladopsis-size_restricted

1 person likes this

They're bringing back Taylor @ QB, which helps. Could be just a recency thing but I think the guy that benefits the most from Taylor returning is Charles Clay.                  

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, markrc99 said:

They're bringing back Taylor @ QB, which helps. Could be just a recency thing but I think the guy that benefits the most from Taylor returning is Charles Clay.                  

I never know what to make of Clay.  Seems like Tyrod is erratic enough combined with an elite receiving back and running game, and 2 solid WRs.   Red zone threat only.   

Not sure if stats back that up though 

1 person likes this