phatrat

2017 Completed Trades Thread

In the off season if you trade for a player he becomes one of your keepers. Since I traded for three bats already someone could offer me Trout for say Madbum + there is nothing I can do.

Works for stopping teams making hugely unbalanced trades with the small number of keepers along with manager veto (which has never been used). So it has pluses and minuses but for that league it has worked out well.

24 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

In the off season if you trade for a player he becomes one of your keepers. Since I traded for three bats already someone could offer me Trout for say Madbum + there is nothing I can do.

Works for stopping teams making hugely unbalanced trades with the small number of keepers along with manager veto (which has never been used). So it has pluses and minuses but for that league it has worked out well.

Seems like an odd rule.  Not really sure how that would prevent bad trades.

At this time of the year getting the two players for one can really hurt as you may not want the second one. You end up trading more value for value and on the off season it is 1-1 trades. Very seldom have we seen trades consolidating keepers. Happens but not often.

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

At this time of the year getting the two players for one can really hurt as you may not want the second one. You end up trading more value for value and on the off season it is 1-1 trades. Very seldom have we seen trades consolidating keepers. Happens but not often.

I guess I'm still not following.  Why would you make a 1 for 2 trade if you didn't want the second player either way?  

And in a keep 3, I would think it would be a rare occurrence where 1 team would acquire 2 players in a trade anyway.  

Because some players don't have the same value, maybe?  TTurner has a lot of hype I needed a 3rd baseman, so I got Bergman and Lindor for him. Bergman alone wouldn't have been enough. Lindor balanced the trade but to get Bergman I needed another player. So Lindor takes the place of a different player I might have kept which would have been Pollock. Since my third keeper is Altuve that stops me from trading.

Edited by Low and Away

41 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Because some players don't have the same value, maybe?  TTurner has a lot of hype I needed a 3rd baseman, so I got Bergman and Lindor for him. Bergman alone wouldn't have been enough. Lindor balanced the trade but to get Bergman I needed another player. So Lindor takes the place of a different player I might have kept which would have been Pollock. Since my third keeper is Altuve that stops me from trading.

Ok, so you traded Turner for Bregman & Lindor.  And your keepers went from Altuve, Turner & Pollock to Altuve, Lindor & Bregman.  How does the rule that you are forced to keep Lindor & Bregman impact that trade?  Without that rule, what would the trade have been?  

And, what happens if Bregman blows out his knee tomorrow?  You still have to keep him because you traded for him?  Or, you can't just change your mind and decide to keep Pollock over Bregman?

I'm sorry, but I'm really not following what exactly your point is, and I'm really not understanding what the point of the rule is.

Edited by 89Topps

Since I won't Atuve and I have to keep both Lindor and Bergman, we only get three keepers, it becomes fairly apparent how the second player effects any more offensive trades.

2 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Why would you make a 1 for 2 trade if you didn't want the second player either way?  

even if you don't keep all the players you traded for, it gives you a chance to draft the unkept player

an example of this just happened in my league:

Miggy just got traded for a trio of Gary Sanchez, Dansby Swanson, and Javier Baez.

The guy getting Baez likes him, but likes his other keeper options better. However, he wanted Baez included in the trade, because it gives him a chance to draft him. 

sort of unusual, but it seems valid. 

10 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Since I won't Atuve and I have to keep both Lindor and Bergman, we only get three keepers, it becomes fairly apparent how the second player effects any more offensive trades.

I get that.  You're pretty much locked in with your keepers now (unless someone offers you Trout for Altuve, I guess).

But again, what is the point of the rule?

Where's the downside if you package up Bregman with, say, Pollock for another keeper?

I guess if the only point is to limit trades, then ok.  Other than that, I just don't see how it keeps trades more fair, or benefits the league in any way.

I can not trade Bergman till the season starts. I traded for him in the off season so must keep him. For that league it has worked very well. It may not work well for every league but for us we have liked it.

He blows out a knee, I am shyte out of luck. Still it adds at least for us to the league. 

Edited by Low and Away

8 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

I can not trade Bergman till the season starts. I traded for him in the off season so must keep him. For that league it has worked very well. It may not work well for every league but for us we have liked it.

He blows out a knee, I am shyte out of luck. Still it adds at least for us to the league. 

I understand the rule.  I just don't understand what the point of it is.

And, it's Bregman, by the way.

In a blockbuster deal, I sent Shelby Miller in exchange for Kung Fu Panda. Is there a more even trade to be had than than that one? :)

Edited by Stats

4 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

even if you don't keep all the players you traded for, it gives you a chance to draft the unkept player

an example of this just happened in my league:

Miggy just got traded for a trio of Gary Sanchez, Dansby Swanson, and Javier Baez.

The guy getting Baez likes him, but likes his other keeper options better. However, he wanted Baez included in the trade, because it gives him a chance to draft him. 

sort of unusual, but it seems valid. 

Interesting, so he just wanted Baez so the other guy couldn't keep him?  Savvy.

Made a major keeper trade.

I gave Stanton and Carrasco

I received Mookie Betts & Manuel Margot

Traded Harper for Blackmon, 4th rd and 5th rd picks. Traded Blackmon and 5th rd for Donaldson. 

10 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Keep 3 (2 hitters, 1 pitcher)

traded Harper for first pick in first 3 rounds and last pick in round 4

So, first 3 rounds after keepers?  So rounds 4, 5 & 6 then the guys last pick in round 7?

So, the guy gets his 3 keepers, then doesn't draft again till round 9?

I mean, I get it, Harper, but that's an awful trade.

14 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

So, first 3 rounds after keepers?  So rounds 4, 5 & 6 then the guys last pick in round 7?

So, the guy gets his 3 keepers, then doesn't draft again till round 9?

I mean, I get it, Harper, but that's an awful trade.

he picks in round 5...after the keepers

1 hour ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

he picks in round 5...after the keepers

How many teams is this?  And what is the player he's sacrificing to keep Harper?

I play in a league with draft pick trading and, even for Harper, this sounds like a gross overpay.

2 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

How many teams is this?  And what is the player he's sacrificing to keep Harper?

I play in a league with draft pick trading and, even for Harper, this sounds like a gross overpay.

he doesn't sacrifice any....trades can only occur after we lock keepers in. I am a keeper short...he has extra.

I had no picks in first four rounds last year going on pennant run

25 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

he doesn't sacrifice any....trades can only occur after we lock keepers in. I am a keeper short...he has extra.

I had no picks in first four rounds last year going on pennant run

Ah, so he gets to go into the draft with 4 keepers then?  So, essentially Harper becomes his 4th rounder.  That makes a little more sense then.

Just now, 89Topps said:

Ah, so he gets to go into the draft with 4 keepers then?  So, essentially Harper becomes his 4th rounder.  That makes a little more sense then.

he had Trout and got all caught up in owning both together

Dynasty team is in my sig. I trade

My Strasburg + Sixto Sanchez

for

His Corey Kluber

Deep keeper(25)

My Corey Seager +29th round pick

His Bregman + 27th round

Have TTurner and Albies yet and at 3rd is Beltre.  SS is also fairly deep as replacement level FA if worse comes to worse.

Traded Justus Sheffield, Michael Kopech, and Justin Upton for James Paxton in a dynasty league

paxton is $1

also traded Aaron Judge and Stephen Gonsalves for Kendrys Morales

Edited by tuesdays