psygolf

Alshon Jeffrey 2017 Outlook

7 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Dallas' secondary blows IMO.

Dallas fan here.   And that was before Carr and MoC left.

I will defer to the Cowboy fan ... Plus I hope you're right. Then Wentz and Jeffrey can be in my starting lineup at least twice next year. B)

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

Dallas' secondary blows IMO.  Actually, that's too harsh.  The lack of pass rush killed the secondary.

Dallas fan here.   And that was before Carr and MoC left.

If they ever stayed healthy, they were a quality secondary.  Mo and Scandrick's injuries made them worse than they could be, and obviously the pass rush didn't help. 

• Like 1

Alshon is getting paired up with Ertz and Torrey Smith. Those are some potent receiving options on that offense been a solid OLine. As long as Alshon stays healthy he should have a good season. Not sure how Jordan Matthews fits into all of this. He may be traded. Same goes for Agholor.

Alshon Jeffrey and his one good fantasy season playing opposite a younger, studly Marshall.

Just don't understand the hype this guy gets...I guess it's the 2 good games he has out of the 8 he usually plays a year. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sportball said:

Alshon Jeffrey and his one good fantasy season playing opposite a younger, studly Marshall.

Just don't understand the hype this guy gets...I guess it's the 2 good games he has out of the 8 he usually plays a year. 

I'm not even an Alshon fan, but this post is ridiculous.

1 good season?

Was that 2013 when he went 89/1421/7? (17.7PPG; 10th)

Or was it 2014 when he went 85/1133/10? (16.4PPG; 13th)

Or was it 2015 when he went 53/797/3 in 8 games (18.8PPG; 9th) where he was on pace for 106/1594/6, including 4 games over 100 yards, in just 8 healthy games, without B.Marsh on the team.

2016 was rough, but he still had 5 games of 89+ receiving in his 12 games, despite a significant drop in targets, and was on pace 1,094 yards receiving, despite only 69 catches, on just 125 targets, compared to his previous 3 years of 150,145, and 178 respectively.

*Extrapolations for comparison, with removal of his week 15 vs WASH where he left early in the 3rd quarter with a hammy issue.

Now, if you want to claim he's a huge injury risk, who's never been elite, but rather a solid low end WR1, high end WR2, that's perfectly fine, and you'll get no argument from me. Given the team change, learning a new offense, 2nd year QB, competition for Targets (Ertz/Matthews/Torrey) I'm inclined to agree with you, that there's a chance he's going to be over valued. ADPs will alter significantly this month given everything that's going down this week, but Alshon currently sits as WR20 on the draftboard, 42 overall, sandwiched right between a similarly-situationed WR in Watkins, and slightly unknown Tyreek Hill. There are multiple WRs behind him I think I prefer, but when weighing his top 12 upside, a rough ranking of 20 isn't really that crazy to me.

So... say anything you like about his availability, but let's be realistic about his production when he's actually been on the field, however rare that has been as of late.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

1 good season?

Or was it 2015 when he went 53/797/3 in 8 games (18.8PPG; 9th) where he was on pace for 106/1594/6, including 4 games over 100 yards, in just 8 healthy games, without B.Marsh on the team.

2016 was rough, but he still had 5 games of 89+ receiving in his 12 games, despite a significant drop in targets, and was on pace 1,094 yards receiving, despite only 69 catches, on just 125 targets, compared to his previous 3 years of 150,145, and 178 respectively.

*Extrapolations for comparison, with removal of his week 15 vs WASH where he left early in the 3rd quarter with a hammy issue.

Now, if you want to claim he's a huge injury risk, who's never been elite, but rather a solid low end WR1, high end WR2, that's perfectly fine, and you'll get no argument from me. Given the team change, learning a new offense, 2nd year QB, competition for Targets (Ertz/Matthews/Torrey) I'm inclined to agree with you, that there's a chance he's going to be over valued. ADPs will alter significantly this month given everything that's going down this week, but Alshon currently sits as WR20 on the draftboard, 42 overall, sandwiched right between a similarly-situationed WR in Watkins, and slightly unknown Tyreek Hill. There are multiple WRs behind him I think I prefer, but when weighing his top 12 upside, a rough ranking of 20 isn't really that crazy to me.

So... say anything you like about his availability, but let's be realistic about his production when he's actually been on the field, however rare that has been as of late.

Great post.  I'm a huge Alshon fan.  Always loved him at SC and I thought he would dominate the league.  Obviously as everyone knows, injuries haven't helped him at all, but he has absolutely produced when he is on the field.  I would currently rank Alshon right on the line between WR1 and WR2.  As stated above, he's a low end 1 but a really high end 2.  If Wentz can take a step forward this year, and Alshon stays on the field, I am fully confident we get production somewhere in the Top 12.  

One thing scares the hell out of me though, and that is their head coach Doug Pederson.  I understand Andy Reid has his certain offensive philosophy, and please someone feel free to educate me if I am way off base here.  However, as the offensive coordinator in Kansas City, from 2013-2015, in 3 years the Chiefs only had 1 WR go over 1,000 yards 1 time, and that was Maclin in 2015 with 1,088 yards.  Now obviously the Chiefs never had a WR of Jeffrey's caliber, but I think it is something to consider.

However, I took a little time to browse through some historical stats, and I noticed that second year QBs tend to really rely on and feed their #1 WR.  Now obviously schemes, coaches, players, etc. are different.  But I noticed that in a QBs second year, the #1 WR usually had a good year.  

Carson Palmer Year 2: Chad Johnson = 95/1274/9

Matt Ryan Year 2: Roddy White = 85/1153/11

Eli Year 2: Plaxico Burress = 76/1214/7

Big Ben: Hines Ward = 69/975/11

Dalton: AJ Green = 97/1350/11

Stafford: Calvin Johnson = 77/1120/12

Jamies Winston: Mike Evans = 96/1321/12

Russell Wilson: Golden Tate = 64/898/5

Andrew Luck: TY Hilton = 82/1083/5

So if you look at these 9 QBs in their second year, their #1 WR averaged 82/1154/9

Only 2 of these WRs finished under 1,000 yards - Hines Ward and Golden Tate.  If you remember anything about these two teams, they were VERY run oriented with strong defenses.  So the passing game was not leaned on as the primary focus at all.  And both WRs still came pretty close to the 1,000 yard mark.

So with this said, does it mean anything...probably not.  However, I just see some kind of correlation between a second year QB and his #1 WR.  Doug Pederson's offense might scare me a bit, but 2 things the Eagles do not have is a top notch defense and a great running game.  Sproles is old, Mathews can't stay on the field, and Smallwood is still somewhat unknown.  They won't be able to constantly pound the ball like the Chiefs did.  The Eagles defense is good, but nothing spectacular.  I think Wentz will still need to throw plenty next year to stay in games.  

Now if we look at the Eagles schedule next year, it's a bit of a mixed bag.  Alshon will face some top notch corners: Patrick Peterson (AZ), Talib (DEN), Jenkins X2 (NYG), Norman X2 (WASH), Peterson (KC), Sherman (SEA).  So that is half of his games where he is facing a corner in the top tier of the position.

However, there are some really juicy match ups here as well: Chicago, Dallas X2, Oakland, San Fran, Carolina, Chargers.

As we saw last year though, he did pretty well against Norman, and had a nice night on Monday against Rhodes and the Vikings.  So it's not like Alshon disappears against good corners.

All in all, I just hope this info was somewhat useful for people.  I will be targeting Alshon around the 8th WR off the board - AB, AJ, Julio, OBJ, Dez, TY, and Evans ahead of him.  If I land him as my WR1, I won't be upset.  If I land him as my WR2, I'm ecstatic.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, howlin' 2 said:

I will defer to the Cowboy fan ... Plus I hope you're right. Then Wentz and Jeffrey can be in my starting lineup at least twice next year. B)

The secondary was actually good last year.  Losing all those guys is a huge downgrade.  The reason why Dallas's secondary does suck so much is because they have to cover for 8 seconds every play.  Our dline is a bunch of pratice squad castoffs and demarcus Lawrence.  Now we are going to add a s---y secondary to a s---y dline.  Woof it is going to be rough on the defensive end unless we hit big on some secondary and dline help in this draft.  

13 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

1 good season?

The only chance he has of being productive is when he's being forcefed 10+ targets/game like in 2015. 

Betting on him seeing that that kind of volume in Peterson's offense is unwise. And of course, that assumes he stays healthy and doesn't get suspended again. 

2 hours ago, joshua18 said:

The only chance he has of being productive is when he's being forcefed 10+ targets/game like in 2015. 

Except he was on pace for 1,094 yards in 2016, while only averaging 7 targets per game.

1,100 yards isn't spectacular by any means, in fact it's middle of the road WR2 at years end, depending on catches and TDs.  But if his (in health) downside is ~WR18, and his (in health) upside is ~WR10, at an ADP of WR20... where obviously his health risk is already weighing his ADP down, I just don't see the issue with his price/production/availability all things considered.

Would I draft him there?  As of right now?  No, I'd probably lean Demaryius if I'm looking at WRs there, maybe Fitz?  Brees and Luck are both going in that same round right now, which are interesting.  Watkins has the same health risks, and arguably offers a more exciting upside?  So much will change in ADPs though, it's futile at this point.

4 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

Except he was on pace for 1,094 yards in 2016, while only averaging 7 targets per game.

1,100 yards isn't spectacular by any means, in fact it's middle of the road WR2 at years end, depending on catches and TDs.  But if his (in health) downside is ~WR18, and his (in health) upside is ~WR10, at an ADP of WR20... where obviously his health risk is already weighing his ADP down, I just don't see the issue with his price/production/availability all things considered.

Would I draft him there?  As of right now?  No, I'd probably lean Demaryius if I'm looking at WRs there, maybe Fitz?  Brees and Luck are both going in that same round right now, which are interesting.  Watkins has the same health risks, and arguably offers a more exciting upside?  So much will change in ADPs though, it's futile at this point.

No way would I take him over DT or Watkins. 

37 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

No way would I take him over DT or Watkins. 

Really?  DT was fine, but without an improved QB situation, I don't think her performs better.  I've never trusted Watson enough to put him into my lineup.  IMO, Jeffrey should be better than both short of a massive injury/suspension. 

4 minutes ago, jbshaw said:

Really?  DT was fine, but without an improved QB situation, I don't think her performs better.  I've never trusted Watson enough to put him into my lineup.  IMO, Jeffrey should be better than both short of a massive injury/suspension. 

DT has a proven track record of being a stud annually whether it's great Peyton, bad Peyton, Osweiler (LOL), Siemian, or Lynch as his QB. No doubt I'd take him over Jeffrey. 

With Tyrod back in BUF and Rex being gone, I'd similarly view Watkins as a much better risk to take than Jeffrey. 

Agree to disagree...

• Like 3

On 2/13/2017 at 4:42 PM, Hawkeye21 said:

I completely agree with him being a pain for fantasy football but as a real WR he's pretty darn good.  I had Jeffery the year he had all the soft tissue injuries and it sucked but I'm a Bears fan and know the talent he has and brings to the team.

On 2/13/2017 at 4:47 PM, vikingapocalypse said:

Shades of that magical season he had may make its appearance again. I remember watching him destroy my vikings. I think the main question could be health, or how much it may have stunted his growth. Focusing on making it through practice and playing, rather then working on his craft.

Now that we see him in green, seems appropriate to revisit the question: Alshon Jeffrey?

On one hand, the attached photo---the first as an Eagle---looks like he's about to tear 30-50% of the soft tissue in his right ankle. Also, it's only a one-year contract, as if the Eagles fear injury as well.

On the other hand, he didn't, and he has never suffered an injury as an Eagle. An entire month of solid health. I like Wentz, and for my two cents Alshon is on the best passing offense he's seen with the best QB he's worked with. Wentz is young, but going up. The Philadelphia running game is shambling at best, and we can expect Wentz to target his WRs (and Ertz / Sproles) continually. JMathews and TSmith should spread the field nicely.

Insights?

Alshon Eagle.jpg

Feed him the ball.  He's a solid possession WR.  I think he could have some solid value this year.

What did the Bears offer him that he took a one-year deal with the Eagles?

I think what he does in Philly is completely up in the air.  I could see him bouncing back in a big way and I can also see him fading into obscurity.  I was an Alshon defender on here up until last year.  But after watching him closely last season, it wasn't his horrible qb situation or injuries that really bothered me. It was his ineffective play on the field, which if you followed him, was noticeable.  Maybe the guy lacked motivation, though it was a contract year.  Imho, his adp is alittle ridiculous when compared to his recent output and his risk. 

1 hour ago, cohenstantinople said:

Now that we see him in green, seems appropriate to revisit the question: Alshon Jeffrey?

On one hand, the attached photo---the first as an Eagle---looks like he's about to tear 30-50% of the soft tissue in his right ankle. Also, it's only a one-year contract, as if the Eagles fear injury as well.

On the other hand, he didn't, and he has never suffered an injury as an Eagle. An entire month of solid health. I like Wentz, and for my two cents Alshon is on the best passing offense he's seen with the best QB he's worked with. Wentz is young, but going up. The Philadelphia running game is shambling at best, and we can expect Wentz to target his WRs (and Ertz / Sproles) continually. JMathews and TSmith should spread the field nicely.

Insights?

Alshon Eagle.jpg

That picture makes me cringe lol but its nice to see him giving it his all. Its telling that we celebrate a month healthy for him, but i do like the location he went. As you stated, hopefully wentz will continue to grow as a passer. The wr corps is a major upgrade overall and along with ertz, it should keep defenses honest in not giving too much attention to jeffrey.

Cutler did have a tendency to lock on to his #1 wr, so im not sure if hell ever get the same attention from the qb position, but if he can stay healthy i can potentially see him having a good season before he becomes the hottest commodity of FA next year

If he can stay healthy.

The PED suspension last season and the chronic, nagging soft tissue injuries (which are preventable with proper conditioning) make me think he's lazy and gets by on his God-given talent (plus reports from South Carolina about his work ethic). While his talent is tremendous, I've come to realize that it takes more than that to be a consistent performer in the NFL. I'm not sure if this one-year deal has given him more motivation, but I'm skeptical since he was playing for a contract last year in Chicago. I've owned him the last couple of seasons, but this year I think I'm taking a break. You're dead to me, Alshon.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mrblonde1984 said:

The PED suspension last season and the chronic, nagging soft tissue injuries (which are preventable with proper conditioning) make me think he's lazy and gets by on his God-given talent (plus reports from South Carolina about his work ethic). While his talent is tremendous, I've come to realize that it takes more than that to be a consistent performer in the NFL. I'm not sure if this one-year deal has given him more motivation, but I'm skeptical since he was playing for a contract last year in Chicago. I've owned him the last couple of seasons, but this year I think I'm taking a break. You're dead to me, Alshon.

Jerry Rice proved it takes more than god given talent to be en elite wr. I read his offseason regimen was borderline insane and this was before people turned offseason conditioning into a major industry

• Like 1

Alshon is a ridiculous takent however i have never been able to play him an entire season  on any team I have owned him. it was like owning a weekly injury report. He  is a wr2 on my board due to the unknown usage on the eagles but his current ADP will make him most teams wr1

Edited by dashoe

I'm thinking he will be drafted as someone's wr2/3...best course of action might be to trade for him after the season starts, if he's healthy and your team has need.

21 hours ago, mrblonde1984 said:

The PED suspension last season and the chronic, nagging soft tissue injuries (which are preventable with proper conditioning) make me think he's lazy and gets by on his God-given talent (plus reports from South Carolina about his work ethic).

I'm not sure if this one-year deal has given him more motivation, but I'm skeptical since he was playing for a contract last year in Chicago.

I've owned him the last couple of seasons, but this year I think I'm taking a break. You're dead to me, Alshon.

I'd suggest the soft-tissue injuries are potentially avoidable with proper conditioning, but preventable no, especially for those prone to these kind of injuries (like me). But I agree, Alshon has to get up off his lazy butt to stay relevant, and for Alshon relevance = health, because we all know he has the talent.

Good point about not living up to his one-year / last chance in Chicago. I'd suggest that this one-year deal is his last real deal in the NFL. Injuries this year will push him into obscurity, a footnote among WRs (* "Overall best player in the SEC, 2011"). He's landed at a prime position in a primed offense. It's boom or bust.

Murphy's Law insists that Alshon's ghost will come back to haunt you, so that's a boon for Alshon's 2017 fantasy output.

23 hours ago, mrblonde1984 said:

I'm a USC alum so I am certainly biased but also privy to a lot of info on Alshon's time in Columbia that I've never seen covered outside of Gamecock-specific message boards & talk of people close to the program.  Spurrier and his son Steve JR (WR coach through Jeffery's college career) had Alshon play at a much heavier weight because they believed it would help him be more effective against bigger/more physical SEC DB's.  I think he played in the 230-235lb range for most of his last year or two at South Carolina.  He promptly dropped 20+ pounds between the last bowl game and the combine - he looked (and has looked since) like a completely different player.  This is what led to most, if not all of the poor work ethic talk that goes on to this day.  I don't think it was a work ethic issue that had him playing at the heavier weight at USC, I really don't.  I put all that on Spurrier & Co. 

Spurrier is no Saban but he was never shy about calling out any player he thought wasn't giving good effort in off-season workouts, practices, spring practices, etc etc etc and I honestly believe if there was a work ethic issue, it would have been mentioned at least a time or two in Jeffery's 3 years with us.  But on the contrary, he was often used as an example along with Lattimore in regards to his off-the-field prep work such as film room, learning the play book so he could line up at different positions & still know what route(s) to run, etc etc etc.  Look at how many times Spurrier would make essentially undisguised disgust comments about Clowney's work ethic during off-season workouts & effort put in off-the-field such as film room, defense meetings, etc...and he was the eventual #1 overall pick.  He did this with MANY players over the years - never with Alshon.  

As for Jeffery's disappointing last couple-three years in Chicago, I put a lot of that on Cutler - i know that's a cop out but Alshon's best strength is going up and getting it over the defender, not running quick slants or bubble screens.  That's Brandon Marshall's game, not Alshon's.  And Cutler showed absolutely no touch whatsoever, no ability to place a ball where only his receiver can get it.  It was either a 100mph fastball or nothing.  

Look, Alshon's best stretch in the NFL was when Cutler got hurt a couple-three years ago & McCown came in for a 5-6 game run. During that stretch, McCown would put up 50/50 balls, jump balls and balls that were made to be high-pointed where only his receiver had a chance at it...you know, throws that played to Alshon's strengths as a WR...and Jeffery absolutely THRIVED.  Cutler came back and Jeffery's production evaporated.

I hope Wentz has better touch than Cutler (couldn't be worse) and if so, I expect Jeffery to at least return to being a set-and-forget fantasy WR instead of one who's all but totally dependent on volume and/or matchups as he has been since being forced to play with Cutler.  I do agree wholeheartedly with this being a big make or break year for Jeffery for fantasy purposes.  He will either return to being a hot & highly sought commodity or a volume dependent matchup play that will frustrate more owners than he pleases.  

1 hour ago, wayzupusc said:

I'm a USC alum so I am certainly biased but also privy to a lot of info on Alshon's time in Columbia that I've never seen covered outside of Gamecock-specific message boards & talk of people close to the program.  Spurrier and his son Steve JR (WR coach through Jeffery's college career) had Alshon play at a much heavier weight because they believed it would help him be more effective against bigger/more physical SEC DB's.  I think he played in the 230-235lb range for most of his last year or two at South Carolina.  He promptly dropped 20+ pounds between the last bowl game and the combine - he looked (and has looked since) like a completely different player.  This is what led to most, if not all of the poor work ethic talk that goes on to this day.  I don't think it was a work ethic issue that had him playing at the heavier weight at USC, I really don't.  I put all that on Spurrier & Co. 

Spurrier is no Saban but he was never shy about calling out any player he thought wasn't giving good effort in off-season workouts, practices, spring practices, etc etc etc and I honestly believe if there was a work ethic issue, it would have been mentioned at least a time or two in Jeffery's 3 years with us.  But on the contrary, he was often used as an example along with Lattimore in regards to his off-the-field prep work such as film room, learning the play book so he could line up at different positions & still know what route(s) to run, etc etc etc.  Look at how many times Spurrier would make essentially undisguised disgust comments about Clowney's work ethic during off-season workouts & effort put in off-the-field such as film room, defense meetings, etc...and he was the eventual #1 overall pick.  He did this with MANY players over the years - never with Alshon.  

As for Jeffery's disappointing last couple-three years in Chicago, I put a lot of that on Cutler - i know that's a cop out but Alshon's best strength is going up and getting it over the defender, not running quick slants or bubble screens.  That's Brandon Marshall's game, not Alshon's.  And Cutler showed absolutely no touch whatsoever, no ability to place a ball where only his receiver can get it.  It was either a 100mph fastball or nothing.  

Look, Alshon's best stretch in the NFL was when Cutler got hurt a couple-three years ago & McCown came in for a 5-6 game run. During that stretch, McCown would put up 50/50 balls, jump balls and balls that were made to be high-pointed where only his receiver had a chance at it...you know, throws that played to Alshon's strengths as a WR...and Jeffery absolutely THRIVED.  Cutler came back and Jeffery's production evaporated.

I hope Wentz has better touch than Cutler (couldn't be worse) and if so, I expect Jeffery to at least return to being a set-and-forget fantasy WR instead of one who's all but totally dependent on volume and/or matchups as he has been since being forced to play with Cutler.  I do agree wholeheartedly with this being a big make or break year for Jeffery for fantasy purposes.  He will either return to being a hot & highly sought commodity or a volume dependent matchup play that will frustrate more owners than he pleases.  

MrBlonde1984 might not reach the end of your post, so I’ll reply (he usually cuts off at four paragraphs). Work ethic can change from college to pros, and in part these guys are kids and many require a coach who’ll motivate them and keep their work ethic high. It’s really tough to isolate injuries (i.e. the cause), as it could be part training, but it could just as easily be accident or freak accident. The push for training to prevent injury can help greatly (e.g. Brady’s soft-tissue workouts). Football for WRs is cutting, jumping, and contact. In 2013 and 2014, Alshon played every game. Let’s hope the staff at Philly gets that and pushes Alshon to train / prevent. 2015 and 2016 he frustrated fantasy owners with injuries (e.g. he's dead to MrBlonde1984).

For the record, since you mention “a couple-three years ago,” Alshon had a great season three years ago: 85 rec / 1133 yards / 10 TDs. Might add a superlative to “great” considering he was on the Bears. Wentz is a major upgrade. Very impressed with the kid from what I saw last season. Philly had some issues with dropped passes, and from what I witnessed Wentz’s passes were spot-on. Alshon’s hands are one of the reasons (two, I guess) why he’s there now.

Great to have the college-level insight. As an FSU alumnus, I continually was aware of things that would never reach national news, either from local news, campus news, classroom, or the barber shop (yes, really). Thanks for the insight.