psygolf

Alshon Jeffrey 2017 Outlook

Not sure why a mod would lock a '16 thread that was still active, then not take the time (2 secs) to start up a '17 version...as a courtesy & show of appreciation to the members.

Anywho, I misspelled his name in a passive-aggressive response to the disappointment.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, psygolf said:

I think Jeffery will end up a Bear, Titan or 49er

I think theres a good chance eagles will make a run at him, but i agree with the potential landing spots.

For fantasy purposes, i think id like to see him sign with the eagles. For now. Titans have a run heavy attack, 49ers are in rebuild mode, and bears are a big question mark at the QB spot for now. Keeping jordan matthews in the slot and jeffrey on the outside will keep teams honest and should open up things for the both of them, as well as a promising rookie qb who can grow with jeffrey.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, vikingapocalypse said:

I think theres a good chance eagles will make a run at him, but i agree with the potential landing spots.

For fantasy purposes, i think id like to see him sign with the eagles. For now. Titans have a run heavy attack, 49ers are in rebuild mode, and bears are a big question mark at the QB spot for now. Keeping jordan matthews in the slot and jeffrey on the outside will keep teams honest and should open up things for the both of them, as well as a promising rookie qb who can grow with jeffrey.

How's the eagles corp when it comes to shifty, speed guys?  They might be better off drafting a wr like that.

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

How's the eagles corp when it comes to shifty, speed guys?  They might be better off drafting a wr like that.

Honestly they can use whatever help they can get lol. But i believe they need a true outside presence. They havent had one in a while, and mathews inability to play outside has hurt this team. I like mathews, and still believe if they wanted they could find a shifty wr in the draft. But i think alshon would already upgrade this group tremendously.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Honestly they can use whatever help they can get lol. But i believe they need a true outside presence. They havent had one in a while, and mathews inability to play outside has hurt this team. I like mathews, and still believe if they wanted they could find a shifty wr in the draft. But i think alshon would already upgrade this group tremendously.

Alshon would also look good in purple 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psygolf said:

Alshon would also look good in purple 

They need to spend every dime they have on the OL first. They made the CLE OL look decent last year. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

They need to spend every dime they have on the OL first. They made the CLE OL look decent last year. 

I do not subscribe to your "only one road to success" map...they are one of the worst redzone offenses in the league, Alshon would help.

Not having a 1st rd pick, and not being in very good cap space, forces their hand to go OL in the 2nd.

Cutting AP is more imperative for them than the Bears ridding themselves of Cutler.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, psygolf said:

I do not subscribe to your "only one road to success" map...they are one of the worst redzone offenses in the league, Alshon would help.

Because they can't run and don't give their QB time to get rid of the ball. It's not rocket science. 

They have Diggs, Theilen and Treadwell...more than enough if their OL was even average. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Because they can't run and don't give their QB time to get rid of the ball. It's not rocket science. 

They have Diggs, Theilen and Treadwell...more than enough if their OL was even average. 

I already told you that I do not agree with you regarding Alshon's potential effect on their offense.

AP's salary will go a long way in FA when it comes to rebuilding the line.

13 minutes ago, psygolf said:

I already told you that I do not agree with you regarding Alshon's potential effect on their offense.

AP's salary will go a long way in FA when it comes to rebuilding the line.

That's fine...we disagree. MIN needs at least 3 OL upgrades. Looking forward to seeing how they do it. 

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

I agree with @psygolf that he would greatly improve our team, but i also agree it starts with OL. Its quite possible that with better Oline play this year vikings would have been in and done well in the playoffs. Vikes are so strapped for cap right now i dont even think they could afford him. Getting rid of AP would help along way(almost must be done at this point), along with some other dead weight, but im much rather hoping vikes are looking at guys like zeitler, lang, whitworth etc.

To swing this back alshons way, i would love to have him on board. Theilen is a free agent too, tho i hope he returns to the vikings, and i expected alot more from treadwell. Diggs is obviously great, still wondering if hes a true 1. But sadly, i dont think vikings can afford the luxury that is alshon.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vikingapocalypse said:

I agree with @psygolf that he would greatly improve our team, but i also agree it starts with OL. Its quite possible that with better Oline play this year vikings would have been in and done well in the playoffs. Vikes are so strapped for cap right now i dont even think they could afford him. Getting rid of AP would help along way(almost must be done at this point), along with some other dead weight, but im much rather hoping vikes are looking at guys like zeitler, lang, whitworth etc.

To swing this back alshons way, i would love to have him on board. Theilen is a free agent too, tho i hope he returns to the vikings, and i expected alot more from treadwell. Diggs is obviously great, still wondering if hes a true 1. But sadly, i dont think vikings can afford the luxury that is alshon.

Let me ask you Vike...

My lifelong friend, also a long suffering viking fan, has the same feeling as I do...which is, in the games I watched, the OL gave the running game plenty of room, it's just that McKinnon & Asiata did very little with it (much like Langford v. Howard).

What is your feeling?

10 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Let me ask you Vike...

My lifelong friend, also a long suffering viking fan, has the same feeling as I do...which is, in the games I watched, the OL gave the running game plenty of room, it's just that McKinnon & Asiata did very little with it (much like Langford v. Howard).

What is your feeling?

Hm i cant all agree with that, but it does hold some merit. The oline was horrible in pass pro, but just regarding run pro alot of the time these guys were getting hit in the backfield, or receiving their first contact within 2 yard of the L.O.S. PFF ranked them 29 on the season, and really only gave credit to berger (who also missed time) for keeping them from the last spot.

Im not a fan of asiata, and i dont even think hes good at what hes sold as, which is a "plodding power back, get you 3 when you need 1, get you 3 when u need 5" type of guy. His vision was absolutely horrible. He must have been like 3/15 when getting opportunities to get 1 yard for a first this year. He himself, is great in pass pro, and a decent pass catcher, which i believe keeps him on the team. But i couldnt understand their stubborn use of him.

McKinnon on the other hand, may not have the build to break tackles or take a pounding, but was the best shot for us running the ball this year. He did his best of trying to create space where he could, and this is where the oline faults had shown up alot of the time. Hes definatley dynamic and an athletic freak(see sparq score) and when he was afforded space(and not injured) he actually looked pretty decent, or at least showed promise. With a decent oline, mckinnon could do damage. I dont think hes feature material, but he can be a game changer.

Were unfortunately stuck in a situation where one has the body for it but isnt very good, and one is uber dynamic but doesnt have the build for it. Its something i hope we address in this years draft, OL and an RB. 

Very skeptical of Jeffrey.  I want to believe, as an owner in dynasty leagues, but I have this feeling he's going to get paid and it'll be more of the same no matter where he goes.  I hope he's one of those guys who signs a deal and then works his tail off to justify it.  

NEP, PHI, TEN, DET, SFO (if they get a QB), and ARI all seem like solid landing spots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shaft4783 said:

Very skeptical of Jeffrey.  I want to believe, as an owner in dynasty leagues, but I have this feeling he's going to get paid and it'll be more of the same no matter where he goes.  I hope he's one of those guys who signs a deal and then works his tail off to justify it.  

NEP, PHI, TEN, DET, SFO (if they get a QB), and ARI all seem like solid landing spots.

More of the same of what?  He just needs to be on a team that's going to throw the ball to him and he'll produce.  He only missed games to nagging injuries one season.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

More of the same of what?  He just needs to be on a team that's going to throw the ball to him and he'll produce.  He only missed games to nagging injuries one season.

2 seasons (rookie year also). And is another PED bust from a lengthy suspension. 

3 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

2 seasons (rookie year also). And is another PED bust from a lengthy suspension. 

Rookie season was a broken hand so I consider that to be a little different.  I think most people are concerned about the nagging soft tissue injuries which only happened one season.  The suspension isn't something I would worry about.

What I look at is his production when he's used.  He still does very well making catches in traffic and going up to get the ball.  His averages are pretty good.  I think most people just look at his total yards and ignore everything else.  Most don't look deeper and see that he had terrible QBs that didn't throw to him often enough.  Does that mean he's not that good or reliable?  I think that says more about the team than it does him.

If he has more injuries this year then I'll admit that he's a concern but I'm not sold on that yet.

54 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Let's be honest, he is a talented player that was spoon-fed a WR1 slot with Marshall gone, a 2 year opportunity to earn a long-term, high $ deal on the field...it didn't happen.

There is sensible logic in wishing him the best and letting him go.

Edited by psygolf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

He completely fell off last year.  12 games, 69 yards a game, 2 td's, 1 100 yard game....

In 2015 he dominated when he played, which was only 9 games.

I get the Bears had some QB trouble last year, but Cam Meredith did just fine.  For what it cost to get Jeffrey, he was terrible last year.  

1 minute ago, shaft4783 said:

He completely fell off last year.  12 games, 69 yards a game, 2 td's, 1 100 yard game....

In 2015 he dominated when he played, which was only 9 games.

I get the Bears had some QB trouble last year, but Cam Meredith did just fine.  For what it cost to get Jeffrey, he was terrible last year.  

They didn't throw the ball to Jeffery though.  That was the problem.  Back up QBs have a history of favoring the back up WRs also.

I think the lack of TDs is very obvious.  Not only did they not use him in the red zone they didn't score TDs in general.

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

They didn't throw the ball to Jeffery though.  That was the problem.  Back up QBs have a history of favoring the back up WRs also.

I think the lack of TDs is very obvious.  Not only did they not use him in the red zone they didn't score TDs in general.

My point was, the last 2 years he hasn't been available.  11 games missed due to injury or suspension.  That's a lot.  

The perception of Jeffrey is that he's constantly dealing with minor injuries and he's a pain to own.  

Just look back through Rotoworld's blurbs on him; constant mentions of his injury history, as well as constant week to week questions regarding his health.  

4 minutes ago, shaft4783 said:

My point was, the last 2 years he hasn't been available.  11 games missed due to injury or suspension.  That's a lot.  

The perception of Jeffrey is that he's constantly dealing with minor injuries and he's a pain to own.  

Just look back through Rotoworld's blurbs on him; constant mentions of his injury history, as well as constant week to week questions regarding his health.  

I completely agree with him being a pain for fantasy football but as a real WR he's pretty darn good.  I had Jeffery the year he had all the soft tissue injuries and it sucked but I'm a Bears fan and know the talent he has and brings to the team.

I dont think it so much that the injuries cause him to miss games, but it forces him to play at under 100%. How much of his down season was attributed to being a decoy or unable to perform at his best? Hes almost questionable and limited every week.

But if he could get 100%? And play at it for a while? Shades of that magical season he had may make its appearance again. I remember watching him destroy my vikings. I think the main question could be health, or how much it may have stunted his growth. Focusing on making it through practice and playing, rather then working on his craft.

• Like 1