ponza88

Josh Gordon 2017 Season Outlook

185 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

The last four teams the Browns faced that season all made the playoffs.  Buffalo had the third best defense (yards against).

The only playoff teams CLE beat that year were the steelers and the bengals, whom they also lost to.

In addition, they lost Jordan Cameron before that losing streak along with Miles Austin and they were dealing with a new OC and QB that season.

Their losing streak had to do with multiple factors, not just Josh Gordon.

True about the last 4 teams:

Carolina was 7-9 and won their division by default.

The Colts had a big offense and no defense.

Week 17 is always an outlier.

Gordon played the final 6 games with 303 total yards and zero TDs with little competition for targets.  (30/6 = 5 fantasy points per game)

2013 Josh Gordon would have gotten them to the playoffs.

2014 Josh Gordon was something different.

1 minute ago, jmausen said:

Gordon played the final 6 games with 303 total yards and zero TDs with little competition for targets.  (30/6 = 5 fantasy points per game)

New OC, New QB and he didn't play the first 10 games.  Had to play a game with Manziel as his QB.  His last four games were against playoff teams.  He had to learn a whole new playcalling terminology (Air Coryell vs WCO)

It's unlikely he was different because he suddenly became a "Scrub".

1 hour ago, jmausen said:

He's right. 

When Gordon stepped on the field in 2014 he HURT the Browns the way he played.   Crappy routes, dropped balls...it was bad.  One of the games he had an opportunity late to make a catch to basically win the game, a shockingly beautiful throw by Hoyer, and Gordon fubared it.

I'm not saying that Gordon can't reach his previous heights again (made some sick catches pre-season last year that showed the talent was still there), but down the stretch in 2014 he was bad.

keep it in context his preseason performance last season showed everyone that talent ability and schill was still there to be a game changer. Those were not scrubs defending him and those were not guys with multi year layoffs. They were db's playing for their jobs and he literally beat them.

Please oh please reinstate him!!!

11 hours ago, jmausen said:

Normal trades are hard enough.

Now we throw in the dynamic of future all-pro vs. never playing another down in the NFL.

The chasm is too big.

the browns have to get something of value to their organization  for gordon or risk a distraction or another year of a zero from him

I believe. I won't let last year hurt me. Looking toward the future. Anybody point to me the CMike thread? ^_^

1 person likes this

I think that train ran off the tracks somewhere in the snow leaving out of Green Bay on a one way ticket :(

On 3/10/2017 at 4:17 PM, Iron-cock said:

New OC, New QB and he didn't play the first 10 games.  Had to play a game with Manziel as his QB.  His last four games were against playoff teams.  He had to learn a whole new playcalling terminology (Air Coryell vs WCO)

It's unlikely he was different because he suddenly became a "Scrub".

I'll give you the Manziel and Shaw games.

2013 was also a new OC (Norv Turner) and a new system coming back from a suspension.  Lots of similarities to the 2014 season.

Gordon's QB his first 2 games back from suspension in 2013 was Brian Hoyer, his 2014 QB.

3 Sun, Sep 22 Hoyer 321 Aubrey 34 Gordon 146
4 Sun, Sep 29 Hoyer 269 McGahee 46 Cameron 91

His 2014 suspension didn't start until preseason. He got the playbook at spring OTAs, put it on his coffee table, and smoked dime bags with his buddies who gave him a special juice that makes weed hard to detect in pee-tests.  Then he sat around eating Funyuns until he was 15-20 pounds over his playing weight.

After the 2014 season, he got caught smoking dime bags and eating funyuns again.

When he applied for reinstatement after 2015, more of the same.

People are who they want to be.  There is very little others can do to change that. 

Josh Gordon is "420 friendly, loves funyuns".  

He is not "elite NFL wide receiver". 

IF a team chooses to babysit him 24/7 like Jerry Jones did with Dez Bryant for the duration of his rookie contract, then he can be an elite WR.  Relying on Gordon to provide his own motivation is a waste of time, hope, and money. 

Edited by jmausen
1 person likes this

On 3/10/2017 at 0:39 PM, jmausen said:

Josh Gordon is a scrub.  He kept the Browns from making the playoffs in 2014.

On 3/10/2017 at 5:30 PM, 96mnc said:

He's right. 

When Gordon stepped on the field in 2014 he HURT the Browns the way he played.   Crappy routes, dropped balls...it was bad.  One of the games he had an opportunity late to make a catch to basically win the game, a shockingly beautiful throw by Hoyer, and Gordon fubared it.

I'm not saying that Gordon can't reach his previous heights again (made some sick catches pre-season last year that showed the talent was still there), but down the stretch in 2014 he was bad.

There is a huge difference between these two statements. 

Saying Gordon played poorly is one thing, saying he's a scrub and he was the reason the Browns missed the playoffs (lol) is another. 

2 people like this

We the true believers must stay strong until The Savior Josh Gordon takes the field again!!!!

1 person likes this

Just curious; how does the reinstated process work? Who does it go through? And what are the chances of him not beinf reinstated back to playing football?

1 hour ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

Just curious; how does the reinstated process work? Who does it go through? And what are the chances of him not beinf reinstated back to playing football?

For his suspension it's unclear. It goes through godell and technically there is a 50/50 chance for him to be reinstated as there are two outcomes, yes and no. If he is reinstated though, it will be similar to the conditional reinstatement he was granted last year likely minus the suspension.

pryor is gone and k britt is not a stud. . .cle still retains the rights to Mr Gordon. . .he is the only one that can save their passing game. Keep the FAITH!!!

When Terrance Williams was a free agent I thought it set up perfectly for Josh to return to Texas..   Jerry could without a doubt tell Goodell to reinstate Gordon if there was a plan in place for Cleveland to trade him to Dallas...  With the Giants and Eagles both upgrading their offenses and the Cowboys offensive line issues I thought for sure the Cowboys would try to keep pace and not fall behind by adding Gordon and having a dominant set of pass catchers..

An influential owner wanting Gordon could alter Goodell's ruling and get Josh back on the field asap...

I'm hoping for some good news soon to reward us Gordon fans in keeper leagues for holding onto him through all this madness..

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, dashoe said:

pryor is gone and k britt is not a stud. . .cle still retains the rights to Mr Gordon. . .he is the only one that can save their passing game. Keep the FAITH!!!

I'm going to at least wait until after 420 before I get my hopes up. 

2 people like this

A little addition to your draft weekend drama:

According to ESPN's Dan Graziano, Josh Gordon is expected to hear back from the league about his reinstatement application by late April or early May.

Gordon applied for reinstatement on March 1 and should learn his fate around the same time as the NFL Draft. Substance abuse issues have kept Gordon off the field since 2014. Browns coach Hue Jackson has washed his hands of Gordon, making it unlikely he'll be back with Cleveland even if he's reinstated. Gordon turns 26 in April.

2 hours ago, howlin' 2 said:

Maybe he joins Johnny down in Nawh Lins :huh:

Josh in New Orleans?
He'd probably have a 400 yard game followed by a 8 year ban.

1 person likes this

The Rams. He even has a fresh new knee tattoo of the oldschool Rams Logo / Horns. Enough said.

Edited by ponza88

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports "it’s doubtful" the Browns give suspended WR Josh Gordon another chance.

It falls in line with coach Hue Jackson's stance on Gordon. The Browns are expected to shop Gordon if he gets reinstated, but could ultimately release him. Gordon’s status should be known before OTAs.

Sad but I've come to terms with this. There really isn't much point to keeping Gordon around when you're not really trying to compete in 2017 and he's a free agent in 2018. They won't dish out the money to an off the field risk IMO.

I want to thank Josh for being the most entertaining and arguably best player since the team came back. 

As a Josh fantasy owner, however, I'm very excited for his future outlook. He is going to take a 1 year deal on a team with a QB as he won't find a multiyear deal with much guaranteed cash yet. 

Very mixed emotions. He was truly one of the best, if not the best, at his position when on the field and the Browns have never had a skill player like that in the new era.
Edited by CL3VELANDBR0WNS

32 minutes ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports "it’s doubtful" the Browns give suspended WR Josh Gordon another chance.

It falls in line with coach Hue Jackson's stance on Gordon. The Browns are expected to shop Gordon if he gets reinstated, but could ultimately release him. Gordon’s status should be known before OTAs.

Sad but I've come to terms with this. There really isn't much point to keeping Gordon around when you're not really trying to compete in 2017 and he's a free agent in 2018. They won't dish out the money to an off the field risk IMO.

I want to thank Josh for being the most entertaining and arguably best player since the team came back. 

As a Josh fantasy owner, however, I'm very excited for his future outlook. He is going to take a 1 year deal on a team with a QB as he won't find a multiyear deal with much guaranteed cash yet. 

Very mixed emotions. He was truly one of the best, if not the best, at his position when on the field and the Browns have never had a skill player like that in the new era.

Would you be happy if Cleveland pull this trade off (For Gregg Williams):

Cleveland gets:
Trumaine Johnson + Barron + a 4th

LA Rams get:
2nd + 3rd + Rights to Josh Gordon?

Seems like a win/win for both parties, in terms of needs.

Just now, ponza88 said:

Would you be happy if Cleveland pull this trade off (For Gregg Williams):

Cleveland gets:
Trumaine Johnson + Barron + a 4th

LA Rams get:
2nd + 3rd + Rights to Josh Gordon?

Seems like a win/win for both parties, in terms of needs.

I would like that, yes but I don't think the Browns would do it. 
They are trying to allocate good cheap talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, not give big money to the Rams castaways. 

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

I would like that, yes but I don't think the Browns would do it. 
They are trying to allocate good cheap talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, not give big money to the Rams castaways. 

I don't think Trumaine Johnson and Barron are castaways, especially in a Gregg Williams defense they're very familiar with. You're not going to find a CB like Tru in this years draft that will return his level of play in the next few years. It could be something that gets the defense on track and in order.

Would changing that 4th to a 3rd be a better deal in Clevelands eyes? I mean you're getting a pick for a player you're going to lose and have a Top 5 player NOW with a very strong and serviceable Barron too.

Edited by ponza88

I will be happy if Josh gets to play on a decent team and his talents are showcased: just let him get in a full preseason and fall to me in the 7th or 8th rd because no one ele wants to draft his risk that early

Edited by dashoe

14 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

I don't think Trumaine Johnson and Barron are castaways, especially in a Gregg Williams defense they're very familiar with. You're not going to find a CB like Tru in this years draft that will return his level of play in the next few years. It could be something that gets the defense on track and in order.

Would changing that 4th to a 3rd be a better deal in Clevelands eyes? I mean you're getting a pick for a player you're going to lose and have a Top 5 player NOW with a very strong and serviceable Barron too.

It makes sense of putting a good product on the field to contend now but I'm not sure the Browns are doing that. 
They are essentially going to treat 2017 as another trial year IMO. You can't go too far without a QB.